Prediction for the End of TCTC (Spoiler Warning)

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Prediction for the End of TCTC (Spoiler Warning)

Post by emotional leper »

I think that the final solution to Lord Foul will be to set him free.

I think that in the end, Jerimiah will be set free of the Croyel, and will use his ability to make doors to create a door that will take Foul outside of the Land and the Arch of time, giving him no further cause to want to destroy the Land.
B&
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

or he makes a Foul prison.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Ur Dead wrote:or he makes a Foul prison.
I think he'll set him free. In the first Chronicles, the solution to Foul was to fight him.

In the second, it was to surrender to him.

In the third one, i think the solution will be to accept him, and set him free. He is what he is. The only reason he's a threat to the Land is because he has to break the Arch of Time, destroying the Land, to get out of it.
B&
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

It is my opinion that Anele will draw a nearly lost memory of creation deep from the bowels of the earth, allowing Jeremiah to fashion a prison (A new, improved Arch of time) that will hold both the Creator & the Despiser forever.

It's not as though the worm will complete its destruction in a day or two...TC and Linden and the rest will have plenty of time to oppose all.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
quag
Servant of the Land

Post by quag »

My prediction: It will not have a happy ending.
In punishing yourself, you come to merit punishment, this is the work of despite
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Again: Why must Lord Foul be imprisoned? The only reason he's a danger to the land is because he's stuck there. A door to outside the Arch of Time would solve the problem.
B&
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

But then the rest of Creation is stuck with Despite. Perhaps not the best solution if the hero is interested in more than just saving his/her own butt.

I think you're right, tho, that Jeremiah will be involved in containing Foul in some way.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
The na-Mhoram
Stonedownor

Post by The na-Mhoram »

The solution is so obvious guys.

All Linden and Covenant have to do is take the Ring and toss it into the fires under Mt. Thunder.

Oh wait....
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Lord Douchebag wrote:The solution is so obvious guys.

All Linden and Covenant have to do is take the Ring and toss it into the fires under Mt. Thunder.

Oh wait....

HA! :haha:
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

iQuestor wrote:
Lord Douchebag wrote:The solution is so obvious guys.

Oh wait....

HA! :haha:
I shudder to think what part of Foamfollower's anatomy Covenant could have mistaken for Samwise Gamgee..
B&
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

A Gunslinger wrote:It is my opinion that Anele will draw a nearly lost memory of creation deep from the bowels of the earth, allowing Jeremiah to fashion a prison (A new, improved Arch of time) that will hold both the Creator & the Despiser forever.

It's not as though the worm will complete its destruction in a day or two...TC and Linden and the rest will have plenty of time to oppose all.
So have Jeremiah build another Arch above the Arch, and send Foul there.

And about to Worm: Send the Harrow to it. He'll eat it for dinner.
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Douchebag, great solution. I think the Elohim will be directly involved in it. We've all come to think of them as so arrogant and egotistical that I believe it's just like SRD to make them heroes in the end. Linden and Jeremiah can't go back to their real world; they are dead, so some way will have to be fashioned for them to remain in the Land. Just MHO of course. I can't fathom what might happen to Roger and Joan, but I'd like to think after all she has suffered in her life, she will find peace and life in the Land. Roger was influenced by Foul, so hopefully he will be freed from that. Folks we have a long wait to find out, don't we?
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

The whole idea of Jeremiah creating a door, or a "new, improved Arch of Time" is a plausible idea, one that is strangely reminiscent of what Zelazny did in the Amber Chronicles when Corwin created a new Pattern for that universe. (It's been too long since I read that series...)

Insofar as Donaldson is tying this whole universe of the Land together by way of writing this last series, you can bet that every character is going to play an important role in some way or another. And I still think that more new characters or elements will have to be introduced in the next installment to begin to find viable solutions to this craziness.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Jeremiah is so involved with the croyel that he may be beyond saving. It's the croyel who has been reaching into Jeremiah's mind and making the doors and working with Roger. His real mind has been suppressed for so long that it is a lost cause.

Jeremiah is a distraction for Linden. Until she accepts Jeremiah condition and fate, she will continue to hope that she can free him.

I think SRD has already given us the solution. When Roger posing as TC said he wanted to make a prison for Foul by using the PoC. But I think it's going to be Linden and/or TC who fashion the prison, from the White Gold.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
DoctorWaterGod
Servant of the Land

Post by DoctorWaterGod »

I predict a happy ending:

1. restoration of the Land back to it's state of unrestrained earthpower with it's inhabitants relearning it's ways
2. Covenant, Linden, and Jeremiah living a normal life in the Land.
3. I like Emotional Leper's prediction on Foul's future.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

I think the happy ending is not what's going to happen... we'll likely get a bittersweet ending, like the end of WGW. And I suspect that the next step for Covenant and his relationship with Foul is for him to actually FORGIVE Foul... in the end, Foul is only following his nature, and he can't be faulted for that. He may be a sick, evil bastard, but that's what he is, and he can't do differently than that. I think that Covenant will have not just to accept that Foul is part of him, but he'll have to forgive him - to understand him. That's the only way I can see the last step of their relationship, anyway.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I agree that the Last Chronicles will probably have a bittersweet ending, Xar. And I like your take on forgiveness here. The parallels between Foul and Covenant have been pondered for a while now. And we know that SRD is gonna devote more time to fleshing out the character of Foul before it's said and done.

What was it that Esmer said? "Not all things evil must have been so from the beginning, nor must they be so in the end."??? Something like that. I'd bet that Foul needs some forgiveness (not that he'd accept it, mind you :evil: )
CT
Stonedownor

Post by CT »

I mean, can't a Despiser just get a hug? I mean come on, what's a figure of pure evil incarnate gotta do to get some lovin' around here???
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

So, wait.

Lord Foul is the Master.

Thomas Covenant is the Doctor.

The White Gold is the Tardis...

...the Illearth Stone was the Laser Screwdriver...

And the three words Foul does not want to hear are, "I Forgive You."
B&

Return to “Fatal Revenant”