Archive From The 'Tank
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Bush Warns of WWIII

Post by A Gunslinger »

Check this out:

Bush warns of World War III if Iran goes nuclear

Oct 17 11:45 AM US/Eastern

US President George W. Bush said Wednesday that he had warned world leaders they must prevent Iran from getting nuclear weapons "if you're interested in avoiding World War III."
"We've got a leader in Iran who has announced that he wants to destroy Israel," Bush said at a White House press conference after Russia cautioned against military action against Tehran's supect atomic program.

"So I've told people that, if you're interested in avoiding World War III, it seems like you ought to be interested in preventing them from having the knowledge necessary to make a nuclear weapon," said Bush.

GRRREEEATTT! What an absolute jackass. The leader of the free world should NEVER use such inflamatory language...especially one that has demonstrated a twitchy trigger finger & slow-firing brain to begin with. Whee.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

So warning of an impending disaster is worse than the impending disaster itself? Why shouldn't he speak like this? Why is the criticism focused on the one who points out what Iran said (wiping Israel off the map), rather than on the one who said it originally?

Apparently, the rest of the world needs some harsh words because they're certainly doing nothing to stop WWIII. We're seeing it unfold right now, and yet you're upset about a sentence Bush said.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Malik23 wrote:So warning of an impending disaster is worse than the impending disaster itself? Why shouldn't he speak like this? Why is the criticism focused on the one who points out what Iran said (wiping Israel off the map), rather than on the one who said it originally?

Apparently, the rest of the world needs some harsh words because they're certainly doing nothing to stop WWIII. We're seeing it unfold right now, and yet you're upset about a sentence Bush said.
Bull. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a weak political figure who will likely be ousted in the next Iranian election. There is more to worry about in Afghanistan and Turkey than there is with Iran. In fact, look at what the Iranian gov't has said about MA and nukes. While MA has crowed endlessly about nuclear power... the office of the Iranian President is NOT responsible for nuclear policy. It is instead set by the Supreme National Security Council.

The council includes two representatives appointed by the Supreme Leader, military officials and members of the executive, judicial and legislative branches of government and reports directly to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who himself issued a fatwa against nuclear weapons in 2005.

In defense of Bush's shooting from the hip here, I doubt he actually KNOWS any of this, but clearly were he to actually do a little reading of either history books or today's breifs..he might realize that language and thos pesky things known as facts are important.

ImageImage
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

If Iran is not a threat, then Bush's words were harmless.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

The usual Bush administration fear-mongering. Bo-ring. ;-)
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

A Gunslinger wrote:
Malik23 wrote:So warning of an impending disaster is worse than the impending disaster itself? Why shouldn't he speak like this? Why is the criticism focused on the one who points out what Iran said (wiping Israel off the map), rather than on the one who said it originally?

Bull. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a weak political figure who will likely be ousted in the next Iranian election. There is more to worry about in Afghanistan and Turkey than there is with Iran. In fact, look at what the Iranian gov't has said about MA and nukes. While MA has crowed endlessly about nuclear power... the office of the Iranian President is NOT responsible for nuclear policy. It is instead set by the Supreme National Security Council.

The council includes two representatives appointed by the Supreme Leader, military officials and members of the executive, judicial and legislative branches of government and reports directly to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who himself issued a fatwa against nuclear weapons in 2005.

In defense of Bush's shooting from the hip here, I doubt he actually KNOWS any of this, but clearly were he to actually do a little reading of either history books or today's breifs..he might realize that language and thos pesky things known as facts are important.
Yes, but AM seems to be the mouthpiece for Iran to the world. If he is truly so weak, why hasn't the real power in iran reined him in???
If what you say is true, and it probably is, then why would they allow his to say those things??

edited for atrcoi atrocis artrociu bad spelling.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

iQuestor wrote:
A Gunslinger wrote:

Yes, but AM seems to be the mouthpiece for Iran to the world. If he is truly so weak, why hasn't the real power in iran reined him in???
If what you say is true, and it probably is, then why would they allow his to say those things??

edited for atrcoi atrocis artrociu bad spelling.
MA gets taken to the woodshed with regularity, it just doesn't get the coverage that his loony statements get. The crazier you sound, the more you get covered...sounds familiar doesn't it. "I'm the Decider" comes to mind.

ImageImage
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Sounds a lot like the 'smoking gun in the form of a mushroom cloud' speech.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

so when do we go to war with Iran?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

just before the elections, silly! :roll:
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

awesome. cuz i just know we can win this one.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
exnihilo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by exnihilo »

Hmmm. Is he saying something that is false? It seems fairly self-evident to me.
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids. ~Gen. Jack D. Ripper
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

It isn't necessarily a matter of the relative truth or falsehood of his statements, ex. For me, it's a matter of (1) his needlessly propagandistic methods ("World War III," etc.), and (2) the hypocrisy of his statements. I think I've linked somewhere around here to Peter Galbraith's article in the journal The New York Review of Books. Basically, what Galbraith points out is that Bush constantly harps on the dangers of Iran, especially that it poses in Iraq. Yet, in order to attain "stability" in Iraq, the US occupiers are encouraging pro-Iranian elements in the Iraqi government, quite brazenly. But nobody in the US talks about it. So basically Bush needs to own up. Either Iran is a threat to us and the world that needs to be extinguished, or it's a stabilizing force in the region. Which is it?
exnihilo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by exnihilo »

Both, obviously.

I'm only being partly facetious. ;)
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids. ~Gen. Jack D. Ripper
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

You have no idea how much I appreciate that honesty. :lol:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

It's obvious what Bush is saying: "stop Iran from gaining nuclear power, or we'll start WWIII." :D

--A
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

October Surprise: Iran Has WMD!
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Plissken wrote:October Surprise: Iran Has WMD!
No, no. October Surprise: Martial Law.

Or Martian Law, for SeaLab 2021 fans.
B&
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

The problem i have with Bush's statement, in addition to what Lm has pointed out...is the sheer, unfettered lack of diplomacy that the stement indicates. To envoke WWIII when we have already demonstrated to the world a willingness to go TO war on a voluntary. pre-emptive basis is downright frightening to the world.

Teddy Roosevelt said 'talk softly and carry a big stick', Bush says 'stick your head up your *ss, start shouting, and blindly swing the largest stick you have available'. Jerk.

ImageImage

Return to “Coercri”