The Sangorgons

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
earthbrah wrote:]Then Stave goes on to tell Linden that the Sandgorgon's wanted acknowledgement that Linden's desire of them had been fulfilled. Since so much was happening, she just agrees--something she later regrets.
Sigh. I think it's time to start asking this question: WWTD? (What would Thomas do?)
WWTHOOLAHD?

I'm curious as to what would happen if linden had said "no. As a matter of fact I need you to go and kill roger covenant, find my son and rescue him, go take the ring from joan (remember the power of the ring is reduced due to lack of free will, so they might manage it), beat up lord foul, and...then go to mt threndor and root out the cavewights. Then you're free."

We're not really sure of how strong the raver influence is on them, but do we have any real indication of . They were threatening to attack the woodhelvennin if linden didn't respond, would they have just meekly submitted if she had said "sorry, you owe me more than this!"

Not saying she didn't think it through enough, clearly she didn't:
Linden nodded, too weary and aghast to find words. She hardly understood what Stave was saying.
Also
I thought that the Sandgorgons were answering the call to Nom, not because they had to, but to repay the debt they owed on Nom's behalf for the gift of intelligence.
At the very least it seems that there's still some sorta residue, because would they hear the call with the doom completely gone?
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

earthbrah wrote:Then Stave goes on to tell Linden that the Sandgorgon's wanted acknowledgement that Linden's desire of them had been fulfilled. Since so much was happening, she just agrees--something she later regrets.
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:Sigh. I think it's time to start asking this question: WWTD? (What would Thomas do?)
Holsety wrote:WWTHOOLAHD?
Blame Linden and cry because Covenant is dead.
Holsety wrote:I'm curious as to what would happen if linden had said "no. As a matter of fact I need you to go and kill roger covenant, find my son and rescue him, go take the ring from joan (remember the power of the ring is reduced due to lack of free will, so they might manage it), beat up lord foul, and...then go to mt threndor and root out the cavewights. Then you're free."

We're not really sure of how strong the raver influence is on them, but do we have any real indication of . They were threatening to attack the woodhelvennin if linden didn't respond, would they have just meekly submitted if she had said "sorry, you owe me more than this!"
Perhaps Covenant would have commanded them to pay Foul a nice friendly visit once a year on the dark of the moon in the middle night of spring.
Holsety wrote:Not saying she didn't think it through enough, clearly she didn't:
Linden nodded, too weary and aghast to find words. She hardly understood what Stave was saying.
Also
I thought that the Sandgorgons were answering the call to Nom, not because they had to, but to repay the debt they owed on Nom's behalf for the gift of intelligence.
At the very least it seems that there's still some sorta residue, because would they hear the call with the doom completely gone?
I don't think there is an evil Raver influence on the sandgorgons. :?: They are simply doing what feral beasts do, in the Land, upon becoming self-aware and intelligent. At the very least, coming to Linden's aid shows they possess some kind of Bloodguardian sense of honor.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Seppi2112 wrote:I'm hoping that the sandgorgons are SRD's way of dealing with the ravers and not yet another enemy to face.
That's a good point, every ingredient necessary for Raver rending is present at the moment.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

But what are turiya and moksha doing at the moment? Isn't one of them haunting Joah, controlling her and her white gold ring? Wasn't it one them that controlled the kresh as they assailed the people of that Woodhelven?

Samadhi was only rent because Honninscrave contained him long enough for Nom to do it. I see it being possible that Longwrath will be possessed by one of these ravers in order to get control of that sword of his so that the threat of rending can be dealt with. We already know a giant is capable of holding onto a raver long enough for this to be accomplished.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

iQuestor wrote:I think Linden did agree to quickly.
Pah! Did you see what was going on at the time? Sometimes a commander needs to decide quickly when it is in the heat of battle.

(Gee wiz. What's with you guys? When she's fast, you say it proves she's incompetent. When she's slow, you say it proves she's incompetent. When she acts, you say it proves she's incompetent. When she fails to act, you say ...)

Also, suppose Linden had said, no, not a good idea. She would have lost the battle. Game over right there.

And finally, according to the Theomach, the Elohim would intervene if Linden is not around to take care of any really bad problem.
tonyz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by tonyz »

turiya is controlling (or something) Joan. Not sure what moksha is up to.
Choiceless, you were given the power of choice. I elected you for the Land but did not compel you to serve my purpose in the Land... Only thus could I preserve the integrity of my creation.
Skurj Scourge
Woodhelvennin

Post by Skurj Scourge »

So, now that TC is back, will the Sandgorgons answer his summons and do his bidding? They sure would make a kickass expeditionary force...
Get that friggin' croyel offa me!
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I don't think that the Sangorgons will do so. I do fear that they may be a poweful enough force to break the Arch, however. Now that they are sentient, perhaps they can now be posessed by a Raver?
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

A Gunslinger wrote:I don't think that the Sangorgons will do so. I do fear that they may be a poweful enough force to break the Arch, however. Now that they are sentient, perhaps they can now be posessed by a Raver?
that is a scary thought my friend. In some ways they would be very suceptible, since their new quality of mind was a result of samhadi's fragments.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

iQuestor wrote:
A Gunslinger wrote:I don't think that the Sangorgons will do so. I do fear that they may be a poweful enough force to break the Arch, however. Now that they are sentient, perhaps they can now be posessed by a Raver?
that is a scary thought my friend. In some ways they would be very suceptible, since their new quality of mind was a result of samhadi's fragments.
It worries me too! As soon as I learned that Nom was, well...NOMInally sentient, that is. :?
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

A Gunslinger wrote:As soon as I learned that Nom was, well...NOMInally sentient, that is. :?
Wah wah waaaah (/sound fx)
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

iQuestor wrote:
Or they might be impervious. There was a very vivid description in WGW on what it is like to be possessed, from Linden's POV. It's clear that being able to resist possession depends on knowledge, knowledge which Ravers would obviously have.
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

If Linden had said No re the Sandgorgons, I recall that Stave said that they would then probably go after the surviving Woodhelvin folks, so that bit of info calculated into her answering Yes, I'm done with them. However, I have no doubt she will regret not thinking more about the issue before her dismissing the big critters.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Wayfriend wrote:
iQuestor wrote:
Or they might be impervious. There was a very vivid description in WGW on what it is like to be possessed, from Linden's POV. It's clear that being able to resist possession depends on knowledge, knowledge which Ravers would obviously have.
perhaps the framents "inoculated" them against raver-possession -- very interesting idea!
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

tonyz wrote:turiya is controlling (or something) Joan. Not sure what moksha is up to.
Doesn't it say somewhere that moksha was helping Roger or Kastenessen and Esmer? Or that it was his idea to create Kevin's Dirt?
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I remember a part where it was revealed that moksha was involved in the relationship between Kastenessen and Roger.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ah well, there's my theory of the sandgorgons transcending time shot out of the water. *sigh* :lol:

I gotta say that, glad as I was to see them, I did think their appearance was a bit...prosaic perhaps.

Same with the giants. Not at all like when TC found the Search.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Avatar wrote:I gotta say that, glad as I was to see them, I did think their appearance was a bit...prosaic perhaps.
If by prosaic, you mean big dissapointment, then I agree.

Great to see you in the FR forum, Avatar! (Watch out for spoilers if you haven't finished yet.)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Wayfriend wrote:
Avatar wrote:I gotta say that, glad as I was to see them, I did think their appearance was a bit...prosaic perhaps.
If by prosaic, you mean big dissapointment, then I agree.

Great to see you in the FR forum, Avatar! (Watch out for spoilers if you haven't finished yet.)
Ha, I finished it the day after I got it. :D And it only took me that long because I was exhausted. :D Good to be here, thanks.

And yes, something of a disappointment. Still, I hav no doubt they'll be back.

--A
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Great to see you in the FR forum, Avatar!
Indeed! :D

Return to “Fatal Revenant”