Nominations for Best Post in an Hegemony Forum 2007

Spotlighting Watchers and posts that go Above and Beyond the call of duty.

Moderators: Menolly, [Syl]

Best Post in a Hegemony Thread

Poll ended at Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:26 am

Menolly (Galley index)
71%
Lord Mhoram (How do conservatives feel about...)
29%

Total votes: 24

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Nominations for Best Post in an Hegemony Forum 2007

Post by variol son »

The Hegemony - it's where all the adults argue like children. The question is, who did it best? In post form that is.

The Hegemony comprises the following forums:

-Hile Troy's Think-Tank
-The Close
-The Loresraat
-The Galley
-Doriendor Corishev
Last edited by variol son on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

I think the time and effort that Menolly put into the Recipe Index in the Galley deserves a nomination. :)
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

The post below by Lorn Mhoram really instigated a great conversation on the roots and direction of the conservative movement. Great stuff.

How do conservatives feel about neoconservatism?

So I was reading an article in the neoconservative journal Commentary today called "The Past, Present, and Future of Neoconservatism" by Joshua Muravchik. (It's long, btw, but worth reading I think.) The author talks a fair amount about the differences between mainstream conservatism in the US, and neoconservatism. There are similarities and differences between the the two, but they're distinct. Some relevant excerpts:
Quote:
As a heretical offshoot of liberalism, neoconservatism appealed to the same values and even many of the same goals—like, for example, peace and racial equality. But neoconservatives argued that liberal policies—for example, disarmament in the pursuit of peace, or affirmative action in the pursuit of racial equality—undermined those goals rather than advancing them. In short order, the heretics established themselves as contemporary liberalism’s most formidable foes.

Quote:
The divisions stemmed from the Vietnam war. Not that all neoconservatives were hawks on this particular issue; some, including Podhoretz, were (qualified) doves. But when opponents of the war went from arguing that it was a failed instance of an essentially correct policy—namely, resisting Communist expansionism—to contending that it was a symptom of a deep American sickness, neoconservatives answered back. Whatever problems we may have made for ourselves in Vietnam, they said, the origins of the conflict were to be found neither in American imperialism nor in what President Jimmy Carter would call our “inordinate fear of Communism,” but in Communism’s lust to dominate.

Quote:
This attitude was one of the things that set neoconservatives apart from traditional conservatives. To be sure, there were a few intellectuals of the Right, like William F. Buckley, Jr. and Whittaker Chambers, who shared the neoconservatives’ loathing for Communism. But mainstream conservatives were better represented by the approach of Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford and their foreign-policy mentor, Henry Kissinger, according to which the Soviet Union was to be seen more as another great power than as the vessel of a lethal ideology; the policy of détente was devised accordingly. This approach was embraced by such conservative icons as the Reverend Billy Graham, who hoped to convert Russians to the Gospel, and the capitalist Donald Kendall, who hoped to sell them Pepsi—without, in either case, troubling with the issue of their enslavement.

Quote:
It was only with the accession of Ronald Reagan to the presidency in 1981 that the neoconservatives made their peace with Republican-style conservatism. Reagan brought several neoconservatives—notably Jeane Kirkpatrick, Richard Perle, Max Kampelman, and Elliott Abrams—into pivotal foreign-policy positions in his administration (and, on the domestic-policy side, William J. Bennett and others). With time, most neoconservatives moved into the Republican fold. As for Reagan’s “belligerent” approach to the cold war, it was criticized as loudly by both liberals and conservatives within the foreign-policy establishment as it was cheered by neoconservatives. But there can be no question that it issued in a sublime victory: the mighty juggernaut of the Soviet state, disposing of more kill power than the U.S. or any other state in history, capitulated with scarcely a shot.

Quote:
First, following Orwell, neoconservatives were moralists. Just as they despised Communism, they felt similarly toward Saddam Hussein and Slobodan Milosevic and toward the acts of aggression committed by those dictators in, respectively, Kuwait and Bosnia. And just as they did not hesitate to enter negative moral judgments, neither did they hesitate to enter positive ones. In particular, they were strong admirers of the American experience—an admiration that arose not out of an unexamined patriotism (they had all started out as reformers or even as radical critics of American society) but out of the recognition that America had gone farther in the realization of liberal values than any other society in history. A corollary was the belief that America was a force for good in the world at large.

Quote:
Second, in common with many liberals, neoconservatives were internationalists, and not only for moral reasons. Following Churchill, they believed that depredations tolerated in one place were likely to be repeated elsewhere—and, conversely, that beneficent political or economic policies exercised their own “domino effect” for the good. Since America’s security could be affected by events far from home, it was wiser to confront troubles early even if afar than to wait for them to ripen and grow nearer.

Third, neoconservatives, like (in this case) most conservatives, trusted in the efficacy of military force. They doubted that economic sanctions or UN intervention or diplomacy, per se, constituted meaningful alternatives for confronting evil or any determined adversary.

To this list, I would add a fourth tenet: namely, the belief in democracy both at home and abroad.

You get the idea. Anyway, it occurred to me that here at the Watch, we have many mainstream/classical/traditional conservatives, but with the possible exception of Brinn, no real neoconservatives. I don't think. Correct me if I'm wrong in pigeonholing anyone here. How do normal American conservatives feel about neoconservatives, now that we've seen practical implementations of it by the Bush II administration after 9-11? Do you agree with its goals, its means of achieving them, etc. Liberals feel free to chime in as well.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Infelice wrote:I think the time and effort that Menolly put into the Recipe Index in the Galley deserves a nomination. :)
*blush*

Thankee, my wonderful co-mod!!
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Infelice wrote:I think the time and effort that Menolly put into the Recipe Index in the Galley deserves a nomination. :)
Secondededed
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*wide, slow grin*

Thank you Stoney

Return to “The Watchy Awards Forum”