Yes, Dune again.

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

matrixman wrote:Well, EL is passionate about Dune, and I respect that. I know I'm part of a minuscule and nutty minority who actually likes Lynch's version of Dune, heh.
I like it too. I haven't read the book, so my reasons for liking most of it and not some of the rest have nothing to do with Herbert. I think Lynch's film is unique and striking, and it benefits from having some very amazing performances in it (NOT Kyle Maclachlan's).

But certainly, I can respect a Herbert fan despising it. Being a Tolkien fan, I despise those aberrations known as Peter Jackson's LoTR trilogy. But that's already been covered elsewhere . . .
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I agree with the sentiment about Kyle Maclachan. I don't have anything against him, but he was only so-so as Paul Atreides. Maybe it would have made a difference if a more charismatic actor had played Paul.

David Lynch clearly saw something he liked in Kyle, as the actor subsequently starred in Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I enjoyed Kyle in Twin Peaks, but agree that he lacked the charisma I was expecting in that role.

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Dont forget Showgirls. I cant say that I cared much for his character, but I still seemed to like all of the scenes he happened to be in .
Wide Eyed Stupid
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I didn't watch Showgirls. Or Blue Velvet. *shrugs* I have some gaps in my movie viewing. :D

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Pliss.

David Lynch is a no talent hack. Dune failed because he was a moron, who failed to realise that his 'vision' was entirely at odds with the story and message that was 'Dune.'
B&
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Lynch does have an odd weltauunshaung that he brings to his movies.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Wyldewode wrote:I didn't watch Showgirls. Or Blue Velvet. *shrugs* I have some gaps in my movie viewing. :D
Blue Velvet is great. Definitely a must see. Lynch's best film, hands-down. Dennis Hopper's character surely must rate as one of the most f*cked-up individuals in the history of cinema villains. Great stuff.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

All these years and I still haven't seen Blue Velvet. I really should.

I mentioned elsewhere that I saw Eraserhead for the first time not that long ago. It was a weird movie (that's an understatement), but it grew on me. I rather like it now.

Er, I still don't know this Peter Berg guy who is making the new Dune movie. Hopefully, he knows what he's doing.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

We can always hope. And send him threats, er, letters wishing him well as he works on the movie. ;)

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Haha, just send EL's list of demands to him...
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Don't give him any ideas. ;)

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

matrixman wrote:Haha, just send EL's list of demands to him...
Just to make sure he doesn't screw it up, I'll send him the family atomics.

Set to detonate.
B&
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

:biggrin:

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Dune is my all-time favorite book-the first 2/3 of it are as good as it gets for me.

Personally, I'm terrified of what Berg will do. I liked Hancock, there was some depth there that, while not quite fitting the film, shows that Berg has that "deeper imagination" that making a film like Dune succesfull would require, but I'm still scared.

Of course, LOTR fans must have been horrified when they found out who was directing the films. So maybe there's hope-a fool's hope.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

DUNE which has defeated many, will become a LEGENDARY adaptation!

DUNE. LEGENDARY got DUNE. Not only did they secure film rights, but television rights as well. DUNE, if done right would be a marvel for the ages. If done wrong, it's still worth checking out. It's a story of that kinda of scale. A project to throw infinite passion and vision towards - and most of the time, it'll fall apart and become nothing that anyone will ever see. DUNE is always in development. [link]
... and we're back.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
wayfriend wrote:
DUNE which has defeated many, will become a LEGENDARY adaptation!

DUNE. LEGENDARY got DUNE. Not only did they secure film rights, but television rights as well. DUNE, if done right would be a marvel for the ages. If done wrong, it's still worth checking out. It's a story of that kinda of scale. A project to throw infinite passion and vision towards - and most of the time, it'll fall apart and become nothing that anyone will ever see. DUNE is always in development. [link]
... and we're back.
Oy. Not this roller-coaster again. But I'll try to keep an open mind.

I very much like Lynch's version, but primarily because it feels like Dune and not because it's approachable or particularly coherent.

We shall see.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Jodorowsky's 70's adaptation of Dune was so bad that they made a multiple-award-winning documentary about the making of it, called Jodorowsky's Dune. The movie failed before it was completed, but the what was done was inspiring, and ended up influencing such films as Alien, Star Wars, and Terminator. They had Orson Welles lined up to play Baron Harkonnen ... which would have been brilliant!

Anyway ... IMO if anything Dune is ever made by anyone anywhere, you have to give them a lot of credit just for getting it completed.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Just to give this thread a detectable pulse ...

Dave Bautista (Drax) has been cast in Dune. Part is unknown. Speculation ensues.

I think it would be amazing if he was cast as Gurney. That would demonstrate they aren't trying to recreate the earlier movies. Most speculators seem to be saying "Stilgar" and "Rabban", but I hope not. In the former case, because brilliant casting would have Middle Easterners as the Fremen, and in the latter case, because Dave is too intelligent to waste on an idiot. Leto would also be an nteresting choice, but too brief.

Rebecca Ferguson and Timothee Chalmet round out other casting as Jessica and Paul respectively.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

How did I not see this thread originally?

Anyway, meh...I have little to no faith...Lynch's version sucked, the Sci-Fi version was barely better, and really only inasmuch as they didn't butcher it the way he did.

I will not be holding my breath.

(All that said, I would have liked to at least see Dali's Dune. It would have been insane. :D )

--A

Return to “Flicks”