DARE I INQUIRE ABOUT ANTHOLOGY 4?

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

DARE I INQUIRE ABOUT ANTHOLOGY 4?

Post by aTOMiC »

I know it seems we just finished up Anthology III but now that were poised to complete the first 1/4 of the year I'd like to get some feedback on participation on Anthology 4.

I'm happy to continue with my traditional role and I believe I have several ideas to choose from for a new story.

Let me know what you think here or in a PM. :biggrin:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I, for one, would be happy to thunk up a story to submit. ;) But it really depends on everyone else's interest level -- and ability to commit their time, of course.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

The Anthology is one of the only things that will get me in gear to actually WRITE something. I'm all for it. :D
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Sign me up for the usual. :)
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i am prepped for rejection yet again. maybe i could a rejection letter in the mail this time?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
thefirst
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thefirst »

I'm not a writer, and I have yet to read the first three anthologies so I'll have to do some more checking into this.
Has anyone seen my keys?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Hey guys, stupid question but I'm curious with the Hugo nominations having come out.

Would the anthology be considered a fanzine? If so, how would one go about getting it into consideration for a Hugo fanzine nomination next year and after? Or is someone already submitting it for consideration?

Just curious, you understand...
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

sgt.null wrote:i am prepped for rejection yet again. maybe i could a rejection letter in the mail this time?
Hey. You've been getting help in the writters forum, have you not?
I think you'll in this time.
thefirst wrote:I'm not a writer, and I have yet to read the first three anthologies so I'll have to do some more checking into this.
You should really look into getting them.

As far as me...I have a few short story ideas...but they're nowhere near the writting process yet, but I think we should still give it a go.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I have a novel's-worth of short storys, and there's always a pile of poems stinking up my room somewhere. Give me a submission date and I'll stuff them down your pipe.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Menolly wrote:Hey guys, stupid question but I'm curious with the Hugo nominations having come out.

Would the anthology be considered a fanzine? If so, how would one go about getting it into consideration for a Hugo fanzine nomination next year and after? Or is someone already submitting it for consideration?

Just curious, you understand...
I don't know anything about this, Menolly.
I wonder if Dragonlilly has any ideas about this. I wouldn't be against it but all of the authors would have to be unanimous in their support for the idea.

Looks as if we have enough support to begin making plans for KWA-4.
The one thing I can say for certain at this point is that, as always, our goal is to finish th book before December.

Very cool.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Best Fanzine: This is the other serial publication category. This Award is for anything that is neither professional nor semi-professional. The publication must also satisfy the rule of a minimum of 4 issues, at least one of which must have appeared in the year of eligibility.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I have a story idea I'd like to write and submit.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Murrin wrote:
Best Fanzine: This is the other serial publication category. This Award is for anything that is neither professional nor semi-professional. The publication must also satisfy the rule of a minimum of 4 issues, at least one of which must have appeared in the year of eligibility.
Cool, so this would be the first issue of eligibility.
I wonder if any of the stories that appeared in the anthology that later is published through Calderwood Books then makes it ineligible?

Murrin, does the site you got the above quote from give directions for submitting the anthology for consideration?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Gods, I'd have to write something new...I'm pretty sure I've submitted every decent old poem I had. :lol:

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

drew wrote:
sgt.null wrote:i am prepped for rejection yet again. maybe i could a rejection letter in the mail this time?
Hey. You've been getting help in the writters forum, have you not?
I think you'll in this time.
thank you for the kind thoughts/words. now get on the board that decides. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Menolly wrote:
Murrin wrote:
Cool, so this would be the first issue of eligibility.
I wonder if any of the stories that appeared in the anthology that later is published through Calderwood Books then makes it ineligible?

Murrin, does the site you got the above quote from give directions for submitting the anthology for consideration?
8O Dear gods. This is starting to sound serious....

I need to look at the rules -- if for no other reason than to read their definition of "semi-professional". If they're talking about whether or not we're a paying market, and their difference between pro and semi-pro is the amount of $$ paid per story, then the KW anthologies are strictly amateur because nobody gets paid (not even in free copies). If they use some other criteria, then we may be screwed. But I'm betting the differentiation is whether we pay folks whose work is accepted into the anthology.

brb....

edit: I was mostly right. Their definition of "pro" and "semi-pro" involves basically two things: 1) number of issues in a press run (1000 and up for semi-pro; 10,000 and up for professional); 2) whether the contributors get paid in anything other than copies. Here's the Wiki for semi-pro: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Semiprozine
So we are firmly in the *amateur* category.

It also looks like we would have to infiltrate the 2009 WorldCon in Montreal, if we wanted to try to be nominated. The only people who can make nominations are folks who attend the convention.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:It also looks like we would have to infiltrate the 2009 WorldCon in Montreal, if we wanted to try to be nominated. The only people who can make nominations are folks who attend the convention.
Now that sounds like something to save up for...

Anyone game?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Actually, you can buy a "Supporting Membership" to that con (or, even, this year's con), which lets you nominate and vote without attending.
However, I think this is getting a bit ahead of ourselves. The anthology wouldn't get onto a Hugo ballot, it's only known of and read by a tiny number of people.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Murrin wrote:However, I think this is getting a bit ahead of ourselves. The anthology wouldn't get onto a Hugo ballot, it's only known of and read by a tiny number of people.
I'm far from understanding the process, Murrin, but wouldn't the point of attempting to get the Anthology on a Hugo ballot be to bring it to the attention of the voters?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Menolly wrote:
Murrin wrote:However, I think this is getting a bit ahead of ourselves. The anthology wouldn't get onto a Hugo ballot, it's only known of and read by a tiny number of people.
I'm far from understanding the process, Murrin, but wouldn't the point of attempting to get the Anthology on a Hugo ballot be to bring it to the attention of the voters?
Even if we were able to infiltrate the appropriate con to get a nomination, nomination would be impossible anyway, as the Anthology only sells copies in double (or even single) digits and doesn't pay for contributions.

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”