Fatal Revenant: Part 1, Chapter 2, Difficult Answers

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

As per, this chapter snuck up on me.

Well done, earthbrah! I guess I need to start there. You teased out many interesting threads. And, for a chapter about questions, it is indeed a good idea to outline the questions Linden asks.

I have tons of notes on this chapter. And so many responses to catch up with. I will organize it as best I can, in the order that the chapter presents them. I hope readers get to the end, there's good stuff towards the end.

"Difficult Questions". Here we have another chapter title with many meanings. Asking Esmer questions is like pulling teath. And it is certainly very difficult for Esmer to answer them. And then, there is the difficulty of understanding what Esmer's answer's really mean.

And guess what? This chapter demonstrates that Linden is not going to be able to solve her problems by asking questions. Everything is set up to make it difficult to ask questions of anyone. In the end she will have to act.
She had repeatedly insisted that she could not be compared to the Land's true heroes; and now the greatest of them had come.
Here its clear that she does not consider herself a true hero of the Land. She feels she is much less. This not only underscores a feeling of inadequacy,
Spoiler
but it is the beginning of a thought process that leads to her decision later in the book, on which she acts in the final chapter. Covenant's arrival, and his promise that he knows what to do, is the spark.
Malik23 wrote:Several times, Donaldson repeats that Linden is going to Glimmermere to find her identity. Why, specifically, does he stress that her identity is at issue?
Well, I don't think it's something quite that literal. She speaks of finding herself within the context of being stunned by her loves refusals, and discovering that much of what she has done seems meaningless. She's going to Glimmermere to get away and remember how things were between herself and Covanant.

"She hoped to recapture at the eldritch lake some sense of what she and Covenant had meant to each other; of who she was." Linden has become, understandably, unmoored; the ground on which she has stood for so long has fallen away beneath her. When that happens, you need to do a lot of self-examination, to discover what you can salvage from what was important to you, to try and find a new direction, and to quiet a raging spirit. She wants to contemplate in peace why she loved Covenant, reexamine why she thought he loved her. Was this really sure? She must check memories.

This is what I see here by "recapturing a sense of who she was". In the sense that people are the sum of their actions, Linden needs to recalculate a new sum because all her actions and planned actions have changed.

And of course, she starts to spot discrepencies. You need the Staff of Law. And "that he forgave her effortlessly."
When she had walked into these hills with Thomas Covenant, the Sunbane had still ruled the Upper Land; and a desert sun had destroyed every vestige of vegetation. She and Covenant had crossed hard dirt and bare stone baked by the arid unnatural heat of the sun's corona.
Is this really true? I though the plateau was free of the Sunbane?
But now she thought that perhaps his words three and a half thousand years ago explained his unexpected appearance here.He had been transformed in death: Lord Foul had burned away the venom, leaving Covenant's spirit purified. As a result, he may have become a kind of perfect being — who could wield wild magic and fear nothing.

If that were true, he had come to retrieve his ring.
I really admire Linden's logic and intuition here. She has figured out something important from scant clues.
Malik23 wrote:Donaldson uses this as a quasi-explanation of why Covenant's inexplicable behavior in the last chapter could in fact make sense. But was that the whole reason why we took this trip into memories? Or is that merely the way the author steers his way back to the present?
Spoiler
I think it was done so that in the next chapter, it will appear that she was correct, which would help us believe that Covenant's request is entirely plausible, because it is consistent with Linden's own premonition. And -- do not forget -- it may in fact yet turn out to be true.
earthbrah wrote:What is it about imperfection that allows one to do "perfect works"? ... The perfection lies in accepting your inadequacy, facing your imperfection, accepting that it is an inherent part of you, and not letting that stop you from acting.

I'm not so sure. If you are perfect, you are not inadequate, almost by definition. Perfection is perfect sufficiency.

Although I do agree that Donaldson's own feelings of inadequacy in writing this story must have shaped the inadequacies felt in the story itself. Please, let's not call him reckless and ignorant and demand that he stop!
"But know this, Linden Avery, and be certain of it. I speak for the Ramen, as for the Cords in my care. We stand with you. The Ranyhyn have declared their service. Stave of the Haruchai has done so. I also would make my meaning plain.

"It appears that the Unbeliever has come among us, he who was once the Ringthane, and who twice accomplished Fangthane's defeat, if the tales of him are sooth. Doubtless his coming holds vast import, and naught now remains as it was." Mahrtiir's tone hinted at battle as he pronounced, "Yet the Ramen stand with you. We cannot do less than the Ranyhyn have done. To him they reared when he was the Ringthane, but to you they gave unprecedented homage, bowing their heads. And they are entirely true. If you see peril in the Unbeliever's presence, then we will oppose it at your side. Come good or ill, boon or bane, we stand with you."
Woo hoo! Way to go, Mahrtiir. You put the Haruchai to shame. They perpetually doubted Linden, and are wrong; the Ramen will back Linden to the end, and are right! The Haruchai judged, but the Ramen forewent the arrogance of judgement and listened to the prescient earthpowerful Horses of Ra.
She had been given too many warnings, and she comprehended none of them.
Now THAT is a perfect summary, at an appropos point.
earthbrah wrote:She sends Mahrtiir away before reaching the lake, goes for a dip, gets physically cleansed and healed, then ascends a hill to summon Esmer.
Now, I honestly was expecting her to wait for the Mahdoubt (whom she sent Stave to find) and ask her the questions. I was very surprised when she called Esmer. I believe I was subtly misdirected by Donaldson. Anyone else? Ah, I see Relayer was as well. So it's not just me.
earthbrah wrote:However, he arrives with about three score ur-viles, and about half as many Waynhim.
:!!!: This is somewhat worthy of mention. Esmer has brought more Demondim spawn from the past to the present. The original ones are suspicious, but the new ones only want to help. Specifically, they want to help Linden. Esmer uses the words "worthy of devoir" -- worthy of duty and responsibility. They left their time for the future, with a guy whom they utterly distrust and who loaths them, to attend to this devoir.

She is doing something critically important to the Demondim spawn.

Although she has no idea herself.
"‘Good cannot be accomplished by evil means’, yet that hasn’t stopped you from doing the things you’ve done. Why should I be judged more strictly?"

Good reply! Esmer takes sh*t from nobody. THOOLAH likes this response.

But let's remember what Donaldson said about "evil means" in the ... *gulp* ... in the GI.
In the Gradual Interview, Donaldson wrote:If you accept the notion that "The ends do not justify the means," then you also have to accept that "The ends cannot be used to evaluate the means." And yet somehow I suspect that every "mistake" attributed to, say, Linden involves judging her actions by their outcomes.

(03/22/2008)
You, THOOLAH, even Linden herself, assume that her means are evil because you, THOOLAH, and even Linden herself judge them by the ends you think you perceive. Creating a ceasure is an evil end, therefore Linden using them as a means to travel in time is evil. But that's not Donaldson's view. He doesn't want us to judge that way. He wants Linden to learn not to judge that way, too, I feel.
hue of bone wrote:What struck me whilst I re-read this chapter was this reply by Esmer:

"You inquire of Kastenessen, and I reply. That which appears evil need not have been so from the beginning, and need not remain so until the end."
:!!!: You have hit the nail on the head here. The question was, did the Demondim allow C & J into Revelstone. And this was his answer.

This is cryptic. But it can almost be puzzled out. Esmer is, in his conflicted way, trying to tell Linden that someone's alignment has changed. Someone has become evil. And that explains the Demondim's actions. Probably he means Kastenessen, since he ordered the Demondim via Anele - that he is now a force of evil (rather than just a pesky Elohim squirming out of his duty. But he might be speaking instead of Covenant, or Jeremiah, or the Demondim, or Revelstone.

And whomever is evil -- whomever was led down the path of despite by Foul or his ravers -- can be turned to good before the end.

That's much to think about.
Esmer's green eyes seemed to spume with anger or dread as he pronounced hoarsely, "Manacles."

She gaped at him in surprise. What, manacles? Fetters?
Something about this exchange leads me to believe that manacles are definitely NOT fetters. That Linden is misinterpreting. But what else could they be?

Also, would Linden use the word "fetters", like, ever? Would anyone born since 1900? Linden should have said "Mancles? Handcuffs?" -- that would have been more realistic.
"To the ur-viles, I offered opportunity to see fulfilled the mighty purpose which they began in the making of Vain."
:!!!: Wow! Pow! Holy Cow!

Vain's purpose has not yet been fulfilled.

The new Staff of Law was not the end of Vain's purpose. There's more! And all the urviles have dared a trip from the past two witness it. And to serve Linden in order to see it fulfilled.

If this is really what this means, this is a super stunner shocker revelation. (And yes, I use the term revelation. :))

Will Vain be back? Will Findail? Vain had said, "It is not death, it is purpose."

Will it have something to do with manacles? I cannot help but see a connection between manacles and heels. And Vain was all over them heels. Maybe the manacles are replacements for the heels, allowing the Staff to become something more.

And Linden really, really needs something more.
earthbrah wrote:Q13: What is the shadow on the hearts of the Elohim? What does that mean? Why didn’t they stop Kastenessen from breaking free?
R13: Though the Elohim hold that they are equal to all things, they are not. If they were, they would not fear the Worm being roused.
They saw no need to preserve Kasenessen’s Durance. You are the Wildwielder, returned to the Land. The skurj pose no threat to the Elohim, though they are ruled by Kastenessen’s will. You will act to oppose both. Thus, the Elohim see no need for concern.
Something about this reminds me strongly of a thought I had years ago. (See the whole thing here for the full logic. It was like my 14th post ever.)
wayfriend wrote:So on to my hypothesis: The Elohim have the power to save the world, but they are unable to tolerate that they cannot do this without assistance.
Many of the Elohim's actions, regarding Vain, Covenant, and Linden, can be explained by the fact that they cannot save the world themselves, but their entire sense of self demands that they can. Covenant and Linden rub their nose in it.
Spoiler
Also, this passage ties in with what happens a few chapters later, when a certain person also says about the Elohim that they won't do anything as long as there's someone else who can do it.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Also, would Linden use the word "fetters", like, ever? Would anyone born since 1900? Linden should have said "Mancles? Handcuffs?" -- that would have been more realistic.
I agree. I think this is one place where SRD's use of descriptive language misled him. It's one thing to use 'fetters' in a narrative paragraph, or something said by a native of the Land (I can totally hear Liand saying it), but quite another when it's a literal thought in Linden's head.
"To the ur-viles, I offered opportunity to see fulfilled the mighty purpose which they began in the making of Vain."
Wow! Pow! Holy Cow!

The new Staff of Law was not the end of Vain's purpose. There's more! And all the urviles have dared a trip from the past two witness it. And to serve Linden in order to see it fulfilled.
That's not how I interpreted that part... I think it means that the urviles have a mighty purpose, the first part of which was creating Vain. But there is more they want to accomplish. The manacles being one thing, whatever they're for.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Relayer wrote:
Wow! Pow! Holy Cow!

That's not how I interpreted that part... I think it means that the urviles have a mighty purpose, the first part of which was creating Vain. But there is more they want to accomplish. The manacles being one thing, whatever they're for.
*sigh*

Your interpretation is valid.

And I thought of another one myself since I posted. It may only mean that the ur-viles wanted to see the new Staff.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

wayfriend wrote:
Relayer wrote:
Wow! Pow! Holy Cow!

*sigh*

Your interpretation is valid.

And I thought of another one myself since I posted. It may only mean that the ur-viles wanted to see the new Staff.
My interpretation matched WF's. Perhaps this will make a good question for the GI? (I suspect that SRD might reply "RAFO." ;))
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I don't see anything wrong with the interpretation that Vain's purpose hasn't been completed. After all,
Spoiler
the Staff still doesn't have runes and it hasn't been blackened yet . . . as we'll see soon, so clearly the Staff isn't "finished."
Yet, that doesn't have anything to do with the urviles . . . at least not that we know of.

Either way, I think both of you are on the right track. The bit quoted by Wayfriend gave me the same chills. At the very least, the urviles are doing something now on the order of what they did before with Vain. Something that important. I hope it is more than simply imprisoning someone. I like the comparisons to the heels of the Staff (though, they didn't create those).
Spoiler
I've forgotten exactly what happened with the Viles later on. Does Esmer's information here about the Viles in any way help Linden when she travels back to the past and meets the Viles? While reading this a second time, I couldn't help but think that his cryptic answer was helpful because he knew she was going to encounter the Viles. But for the life of me, I can't remember anything specific about his story that helps her later.
Esmer is such a perfect personification of Linden's own dilemma. The conflict between aiding and betraying. Of accomplishing good through evil means. It can't be a coincidence that he accentuates her nausea and impedes her reach to the wild magic within her. That's an incredibly personal effect. In fact, I don't think there is anything more personal than our own access to our passions, our creative power. Yet, Esmer's contradiction--not merely his presence, but the essential conflict given in his presence--this is what cuts Linden off from herself, her passion. It's almost like the paralysis of the 2nd Chronicles, a different version of it. Or, perhaps since she is the POV character this time, we're seeing her internal traits externalized, rather than Covenant's. Maybe that's where Esmer comes from (not literally, but figuratively). He is that conflict which used to leave her paralyzed--her realization of her own capacity for evil--yet this time she isn't being frozen. She IS acting. Despite (again) her inadequacy.

Maybe Esmer was talking about her when he says: "That which appears evil need not have been so from the beginning, and need not remain so until the end."

But of course, this sentence is probably doing double- and triple-duty.

"‘Good cannot be accomplished by evil means’, yet that hasn’t stopped you from doing the things you’ve done. Why should I be judged more strictly?"

Again, an equivalence between Linden and Esmer.

And one final note (I mentioned after the preview, too, but some of you weren't spoiling yourselves back then): did anyone else notice that Linden doesn't wear underwear? Interesting . . . I wonder if that's a metaphor for her secret wild side, that she really is the wild magic, deep down, under her clothes . . . ok never mind. Probably nothing. But I, for one, couldn't read a description of the female lead stripping down without seeing the glaring omission of the lacy, intimate stuff. Maybe that's just me; I'm a sick bastard. But I feel cheated of an important detail. I don't think it would have hurt anyone to know the color of her panties. That is, unless they were ochre. :twisted:
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Sorry about the double post. Man, I can’t quit thinking about this chapter. I can’t believe I criticized it so hard the first time around.
Malik23 wrote:
Several times, Donaldson repeats that Linden is going to Glimmermere to find her identity. Why, specifically, does he stress that her identity is at issue?
Wayfriend wrote: Well, I don't think it's something quite that literal. She speaks of finding herself within the context of being stunned by her loves refusals, and discovering that much of what she has done seems meaningless. She's going to Glimmermere to get away and remember how things were between herself and Covanant.
Yeah, I agree. I wasn’t trying to suggest that Linden might actually be someone else. Nothing that literal. I realized it had to do with “reconnecting” to herself, than any deeper mystery. However,
Spoiler
given that she is dealing with the problem of C’s and J’s identity, I think it’s an interesting contrast; because literally, their identity IS a problem, though Donaldson decribes it in the “benign” terms of: she doesn’t know them anymore, they act differently. Though we’re not literally questioning the identities of these two right now—we’re instead wondering what *changed* Covenant—the problem of their identity is literal. So it’s curious that Donaldson is highlighting this difference between the dilemma of Linden “knowing herself” and knowing Covenant, when we now know that he did mean one, at least, literally. Both the literal and the figurative were in his mind when he was writing this.
I guess I’m just impressed with his hierarchies of meaning. He is working on so many levels here, and those levels become more explicit during a reread. “C and J had been returned to her, but she no longer knew them—or herself.” (p24)

Okay, while joking about Linden’s panties, I went back and reread that paragraph. All joking aside, her stripping down is very interesting. Donaldson says: “. . . stripped away her grass-stained pants as well as her shirt as if by that menas she could remove her mortality . . .”

Ordinarily, I’d think that Donaldson was just being verbose. As in the previous example, I don’t think he wants us to linger long on this, or take it literally. However, he reiterates the grass stains on her pants, which itself is loaded with meaning, both from Runes and from LFB (Cov in Morrinmoss). Why would it make her LESS mortal to remove her clothes? Wouldn’t being naked stress her physical, mortal nature much MUCH more than her jeans? The stains have to have something to do with it. Grass has to have something to do with it. Doesn’t Covenant (her dead lover) appear through Anele while standing in grass? (I really need to keep all those surfaces straight. Can someone list them all again? Unworked stone, worked stone, dirt, grass, etc.).

Also, plunging into the Lake is interesting: “. . . plunged headlong into the tonic sting of memory and Earthpower.”

Her own memories are just as potent and important as the Earthpower of the Lake. In fact, the Lake washes away her physical hurts—the *physical* cost of her past--but it can’t wash away her memories, the *emotional* cost of her past. Which side does Kevin’s Dirt sit in these scales? The physical side: her senses. It had been “scrubbed from her senses.”

Another interesting tidbit: she casts no reflection on the water, yet the mountains and sky do. It’s interesting that this is the one place in the Land that the reality of the world around her is more real than she is herself. It’s the complete opposite of “the Land is a dream in Covenant’s head.” In the reflections of Glimmermere, she is the dream, and the Land is real. And “coincidentally,” this is where the Unfettered told Covenant that he dreams the truth.

Combined with the above, this tidbit means that Glimmermere puts her more physically into this world, allowing her deeper perceptual and sensual contact, but it has no effect on the mental aspects of herself: her emotions, and her memories. Even though Kevin’s Dirt is “scrubbed away,” Donaldson writes:

“In other ways, nothing had changed. Her torn heart could not be healed by any expression of this world’s fundamental bounty.”

So the perceptual/physical world—the reality of the Land itself, even when viewed “truly,”--can’t help. And that’s because this remains:

“Covenant and Jeremiah had been restored to her—and they would not let her touch them.”

This is important for more than
Spoiler
what we learn later about touching Roger
. It is important in terms of the symbolic tension I’ve been outlining: mind and body. The fact that she can’t physically touch these two loved ones makes her feel that she doesn’t know them—a mental union. It’s strange that we, as humans, are dependent upon the body to know the mind. The paradox of mind and body are deeply intwined in this series of images.

So in this context, perhaps the problem of her knowing herself is more than a passing unfamiliarity. Sure, it includes recent, disorienting events. But those events deal with issues that are just as deep as personal identity. In fact, they highlight the paradox of knowing other minds at all, through a physical world.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I can see the mind/body duality you speak of.

But I cannot help but think, Glimmermere has been here all along. It's worked the way it's worked all along. Donaldson didn't change it for this scene.

It shocks you with its pure, stark cold, forcing you to concentrate on the physical world, the here and now. And then you cannot help but notice that it has healed you, asuaged you. It literally jolts you back into health. And it has always been that way.

So if Donaldson is working on levels like you say, developing this dichotomy between physical and spiritual, he gets more credit for pulling in and using what already existed, rather than inventing something new to do it.

Or maybe ... just maybe ... Linden really did understand and appreciate that Glimmermere was exactly what she needed, for all those reasons. And that's why it all falls into place so nicely.

BTW, I think Donaldson merely decided to not mention underwear.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Malik23 wrote:I don't see anything wrong with the interpretation that Vain's purpose hasn't been completed. After all,
Spoiler
the Staff still doesn't have runes and it hasn't been blackened yet . . . as we'll see soon, so clearly the Staff isn't "finished."
Yet, that doesn't have anything to do with the urviles . . . at least not that we know of.

Either way, I think both of you are on the right track. The bit quoted by Wayfriend gave me the same chills. At the very least, the urviles are doing something now on the order of what they did before with Vain. Something that important. I hope it is more than simply imprisoning someone. I like the comparisons to the heels of the Staff (though, they didn't create those).
Spoiler
I agree that the Staff still serves purposes which haven't been completed. The purpose for creating Vain wasn't just so there would *be* a Staff... it's for whatever the Staff can then be *used* for. And I also agree that the urviles have created something else that important...
But I, for one, couldn't read a description of the female lead stripping down without seeing the glaring omission of the lacy, intimate stuff. Maybe that's just me; I'm a sick bastard.
LOL, you sick b@st@rd!!

But seriously, Linden wearing something lacy? Somehow I don't think she's that type :-(
All joking aside, her stripping down is very interesting. Donaldson says: “. . . stripped away her grass-stained pants as well as her shirt as if by that menas she could remove her mortality . . .”
Yes! I knew there was another line that struck me but I couldn't remember what it was... Your analysis is interesting. What I get from it is partly about the meaning of the grass stains, as you say.

The other thing is that somehow her clothes represent something from her other world, her other life. Removing them seems to be a metaphor for leaving that world behind (ie, dying) and then being wholly in the Land she becomes immortal.
Another interesting tidbit: she casts no reflection on the water, yet the mountains and sky do.
Isn't this the case w/ most mortals? I don't remember whether it was TC or Elena or someone else with him but they also cast no reflection.

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I believe only TC in WGW ever sees his own reflection in Glimmermere. Everyone else is not reflected, including TC in his earlier visits.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

rdhopeca wrote:I believe only TC in WGW ever sees his own reflection in Glimmermere. Everyone else is not reflected, including TC in his earlier visits.
Interesting! In need to go back and reread.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In [u]White Gold Weilder[/u] was wrote:"You—!" she panted, almost laughing herself. "You've got to tell me." She wanted to put her arms around him; but then she would not be able to speak. "It's wonderful!" Above her, the tops of the western hills were lit by the desert sun, and that shining danced across the tarn, "How come I disappear and you don't?"

"I already told you!" he replied, splashing water at her. "Wild magic and venom. The keystone of the Arch." Swimming in this lake, he could say even those words without diminishing her gladness. "The first time I was here, I couldn't see myself either. You're normal." His voice rose exuberantly. "Glimmermere recognizes me!"

Then she did fling her arms about his neck; and they sank together into the embrace of the tarn. Intuitively, for the first time, she understood his hope.
How can we doubt that Glimmermere has a significant meaning to Linden?
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Thanks WF!

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Its interesting to note that after her dip,, she reflects on what the Lake has done for/to her and comes to an understanding ,,as pointed out ,,the body healed but the interior soul still in conflicted pain..By what the Lake hasn't done, she knows at some level, she must do on her own . By how she dealt with Esmers answers, indicates , like with TC,,its purely a individuals discovery,,nobody else can do it for her. The Lake shows her what must be done, what has to be dealt with,,and Esmer tells her how,,,but its all abit too much different from what she expected or thought. The difficulty of the answers is in realizing the magnitude of the Question being asked.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Relayer wrote:
All joking aside, her stripping down is very interesting. Donaldson says: “. . . stripped away her grass-stained pants as well as her shirt as if by that menas she could remove her mortality . . .”
Yes! I knew there was another line that struck me but I couldn't remember what it was... Your analysis is interesting. What I get from it is partly about the meaning of the grass stains, as you say.

The other thing is that somehow her clothes represent something from her other world, her other life. Removing them seems to be a metaphor for leaving that world behind (ie, dying) and then being wholly in the Land she becomes immortal.
Interesting. I was thinking something along those lines and forgot to add it. Her clothes representing "something from her other world" reminds me of Covenant's boots in LFB, whereby LF (or was it Drool R.?) could locate Covenant.

However, you say removing them is a metaphor for leaving that world behind--dying--yet in the FR passage above, it's her mortality she's leaving behind. That seems like the opposite of dying, to me. In fact, since the Lake heals her physically, I think this is the sense Donaldson intended. Not succumbing to mortality (dying), but overcoming it (healing). And maybe that's all he meant: stripping was necessary to jump in the Lake . . . though I'm not sure exactly why. I bet that water could work wonders on some set-in grass stains, and make Tide look like child's play. :)
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Very interesting dissertation EB.. I am still looking it over and the questions were excellant.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Nice job EB, between you and Lurch I feel completely inadequate to the coming task...

But still, regarding grass stains, I also drew the connection between the grass stains and moss on TC's robes, and that Anele channels TC when he stands on grass. And I want to add another bit, the Sun of Fertility caused Linden the most distress because of it's twisting of life. So on one side we have life, The One Tree, grass, vitality, movement associated with TC, Linden, Morimoss, Forestals. Then on we have Anele (isn't he himself when he stands on unwrought stone - someone definately needs to matrix that out) who's only friend is stone. Quiet, no life, no vitality, and yet as an important an aspect of Earthpower as life.

I don't really have a point, just a nagging feeling that there's some sort of connection to me made here... Vain and Findail, Chaos and Order, TC and Anele or Linden and Anele.

/ramble off

stutt
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Ah, I felt the same way after lurch's initial dissection, Stutty. But I managed to put mine together, apparently to the liking of many. You'll manage the same, no doubt.

And I'm really looking forward to the next two chapters, because it seems to me that
Spoiler
"Love and Strangers" is a follow-up to "Reunion" and "A Defense of Revelstone" is a follow-up to "Difficult Answers".
And sorry I've been so absent from the latest bit of dissection here. I've been writing reports on my students lately (and still not close to finishing!!!), a process which is a super beast at the school here.

Just two more weeks, just two more weeks...
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

earthbrah wrote:Ah, I felt the same way after lurch's initial dissection, Stutty. But I managed to put mine together, apparently to the liking of many. You'll manage the same, no doubt.
No offense to lurch or earthbrah, but we don't want more of theirs ... we want yours! Insert cliche about valuing diversity here. But it's true nonetheless.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I was amazed and impressed with all the dissection posts last year, the initial ones which kicked off each chapter. I can sympathize with feeling intimidated--I didn't sign up for any chapter. I just took the lazy route and posted responses.

Our posts don't have to be works of art. Donaldson has already done that part for us. :) The subject matter makes this easy. Just let it affect you, respond to it, and be honest.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I want to go back to this passage.
[Linden said] "Why didn't they stop Kastenessen from breaking free?"

Esmer groaned as if she endangered his sanity. Gritting his teeth, he said, "The Elohim believe that they are equal to all things. This is false. Were it true, the Earth entire would exist in their image, and they would have no need to fear the rousing of the Worm of the World's End. Nonetheless they persist in their belief. That is shadow enough to darken the heart of any being.

"They did not act to preserve Kastenessen's Durance because they saw no need. Are you not the Wildwielder? And have you not returned to the Land? The skurj are mindless beasts, ravaging to feed. Kastenessen's will rules them, but they cannot harm the Elohim. And you will oppose both Kastenessen and his monsters. What then remains to cause the Elohim concern? They have done that which they deem needful. They have forewarned the people of the Land, speaking often of the peril of the halfhand when the Haruchai have effaced any other knowledge or defense. Their Würd requires nothing more. While you endure, they fear no other threat."
So. If I understand what Esmer is saying, he's saying: The Elohim didn't do anything about Kastenessen because they're sure Linden will do something about Kastenessen. The Elohim didn't do anything about the skurj because they're sure Linden will do something about the skurj.

The Elohim don't act if there is someone else who will act. Their Würd requires nothing more.

I am sure this is one of the most significant clues to the motives of the Elohim that we have.

If this is true, we can learn a lot by observing how the Elohim react to what Linden does. They will do nothing as long as she has the saving of the Earth in her capable hands.

Doesn't this also mean that, as long as the Elohim are not acting against Linden, they must feel that Linden is no threat to the Earth?

And that, if Linden is a bit off course, that they would put her on the right track, so that they could sit back and leave it to her?

Return to “Last Chronicles”