DIABLO 3!

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

DIABLO 3!

Post by The Dreaming »

It's finally been officially confirmed, and MAN those trailers looks sexy. The games that have sucked up more hours of my life than any others (no joke, not even wow) are finally getting a sequel. It's a good day for demon-slaughtering everywhere.

www.blizzard.com/diablo3/?rhtml=y
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Oh, hell yeah. This will be like crack to me. I still hold that Diablo is the best series Blizzard has done. First a new Starcraft, then Diablo 3. VERY nice.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'm really looking forward to this, I never played Diablo 2 but I know it's really my kind of thing. I don't imagine we'll see it before 2010, so hopefully I'll have upgraded my PC by then.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Yeah, you should rush out and pick up Diablo 2. No, seriously...do it. We'll wait.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Fullmetal660 »

Never really got into diablo, but I did like it. I have a copy lying around somewhere. Will it run on my modern laptop? (as I know some older games won't for some reason)
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Blizzard games seem to be pretty damned eternal. Ive run D1 on every computer I've ever had with absolutely no difficulty.
Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Fullmetal660 »

The Dreaming wrote:Blizzard games seem to be pretty damned eternal. Ive run D1 on every computer I've ever had with absolutely no difficulty.
Awesome, may have to dig out my copy of it. God knows where it is, best start searching!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Huzzah! I'm surprised it's announced before StarCraft II's release.

Personally, I hope it stick to its roots. Blizzard makes stuff that's simple but sticks with you like Monopoly. I'm tired of the current trend, where games are short, overproduced, and have at least two Hollywood actors doing voicework. Just give me a WEAPON and show me where the demons are!!
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Amen, brutha.

I think Diablo 2 struck the right balance, too. Just long enough to feel like an ordeal the first time, but not too long so that you didn't feel like going back through it again with a different character class. Especially with the expansion. Diablo 3 should be as long Diablo 2 with the expansion. And, if possible, prettier. Those huge collection of beasties ganging up on the player was pretty cool.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

bah. duck shoot. i watched the trailer yesterday. wow blows diablo in any incarnation away. :P :P :P
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Right, but you can eventually walk away from Diablo whereas most people can't seem to leave their computers when playing WOW.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I know it's just a teaser trailer, but if you could fight an entire army of demons (or whatever those were)--wow. I'd also like to see some city architecture, which the trailer hints at...maybe have some physics where it can get destroyed by catapults or whanot. Only problem is, that'd be a bit scripted, unless they had a game engine that randomly picked what buildings receive damage.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

What I'm still not clear on is whether diablo III will stick to the old formula (join a game with a few players on it) or will move towards an MMORPG thing where you have tons of people playing on the same server.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

The thing you might not realize about Diablo is that it has randomly generated content. If the narrator of the game play trailer is to be believed, there also seem to be random scripted events, like the ghouls climbing up the bridge, and that cool trap. Also, destructible environments?! Frigging awesome.

Another huge difference between Diablo and other fantasy franchises is the M rating. Sanctuary is a much darker, grittier, and bloodier world than Azeroth. All of that is combined with incredibly addictive gameplay, the infamous Diablo loot pinata (randomly generated items!) and incredibly customizable character development. The number of viable builds in D2 is staggering, especially when compared to wow.

Honestly, I was sold as soon as I saw the demon pick up the barbarian and bite his head off to finish him. From what I have heard, that's not even a boss! Just a generic enemy!

(And by the way, fighting off armies of Demons isn't just a feature of Diablo, it's a staple! It's actually kind of the point. Your character is an absolute engine of death.)

I have also read that, if anything, the player cap might even go *down* from D2. 8 is currently the maximum number of players allowed by the engine, but they are thinking about reducing it. With as much havoc as the 4 characters we saw in the trailer were causing, I think I can see why. Things would just get silly with 8 people doing that. (It kind of works like that in D2. Some skills just aren't allowed in an 8 person game, like skeletal armies and meteors)
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I have also read that, if anything, the player cap might even go *down* from D2. 8 is currently the maximum number of players allowed by the engine, but they are thinking about reducing it. With as much havoc as the 4 characters we saw in the trailer were causing, I think I can see why. Things would just get silly with 8 people doing that. (It kind of works like that in D2. Some skills just aren't allowed in an 8 person game, like skeletal armies and meteors)
I know, I mean... I didn't play D2 much but I went back and tried being a skellymancer...it is NOT fun if you run into another 1 or 2 skellymancers playing online.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

The Diablo series is my absolute favorite series ever.

If I die the day after I complete Diablo 3, I will have died a happy woman.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

JazFusion wrote:The Diablo series is my absolute favorite series ever.

If I die the day after I complete Diablo 3, I will have died a happy woman.

Same here. Every once in awhile I'll slowly work my way through Hell with my Assassin or Amazon. I've been looking forward to D3 for a while.
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

Wooo! :D

Pie and Cake
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Lucimay wrote:bah. duck shoot. i watched the trailer yesterday. wow blows diablo in any incarnation away. :P :P :P
Silly, silly girl - There can be no comparison made between the Horrifying Glory and Power that is Diablo and the Home Shopping Network Talkfest known as WoW!

(Okay, I find Warcraft quite entertaining, and may someday add another monthly bill to my list, just for the honor of returning to it's World. Once the Diablo franchise is well and truley dead, of course!)

Seriously, each installment of Diablo has done one thing that no other video games (and very few books or movies) have been able to do: They creep me out, right from the beginning, and make me feel triumphant upon slaying the Big Bad. (Of course, they then invariably take away my triumph with the final movie - but alternately dreading and drooling for the next chapter is hardly a bad place to be!)
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Plissken wrote:Seriously, each installment of Diablo has done one thing that no other video games (and very few books or movies) have been able to do: They creep me out, right from the beginning, and make me feel triumphant upon slaying the Big Bad. (Of course, they then invariably take away my triumph with the final movie - but alternately dreading and drooling for the next chapter is hardly a bad place to be!)
I couldn't agree more. Part of what's so appealing about Diablo is the great storyline. And keeping us dreading and drooling for the next installment is Blizzard in a nutshell. They got us where they want us :wink:
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

Return to “PC & Console Games”