Dont you just hate it when ...

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Dont you just hate it when ...

Post by Mr. Broken »

They decide to make a sequel, but cannot get the original actor to return to the role for the sequel, so they just replace him (or) her with a different actor.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Fullmetal660 »

It can be confusing yeah.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It makes me very angry.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

How about a few examples, Mr. B.

I agree with you but I don't think it comes up all that often unless you consider serials like the 007 films where sometimes age makes it impossible for an actor to continue in the role and remain believable. In cases like the up coming Punisher film, I consider it a remake not a sequel. Same goes for the new Hulk film. Should we lament the replacement of Katie Holmes in the Dark Knight or Rachel Weisz in the Mummy 3? I'm not sure it matters all that much with Mrs. Cruise. The absence of Weisz on the other hand might be distracting. I don't know if replacing Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan with Harrison Ford was a bad move but then replacing Ford with Ben Affleck was iffy. IMHO
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Replacing Baldwin with Ford was a disaster. Baldwin was an outstanding Jack Ryan.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:Replacing Baldwin with Ford was a disaster. Baldwin was an outstanding Jack Ryan.
Agree 100%.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Cail wrote:Replacing Baldwin with Ford was a disaster. Baldwin was an outstanding Jack Ryan.
Agree 100%.
Gee. Didn't have a problem with it. Maybe I didn't care as much about the other films as you did. And of course I didn't read any of the books so I don't have any idea what the character is supposed to be like. Frankly "A Clear and Present Danger" and "Patriot Games" seem like they are unrelated to "The Hunt for Red October". From my perspective at least. Of course if you subscribe to the notion put forth in Team America World Police that Alec Baldwin is the world's greatest actor then I can see your point. :-)
Last edited by aTOMiC on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I don't think he's the world's greatest actor but I do think he's very talented and he made a great Jack Ryan.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

oops
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Julianne Moore replacing Jodie Foster in Hannibal, or whatever it was called, was not a good move. Then again, that movie was going to suck no matter who starred in it.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dlbpharmd wrote:I don't think he's the world's greatest actor but I do think he's very talented and he made a great Jack Ryan.
I have to say that "Red October" is by a long stretch my favorite Alec Baldwin film with no other movie coming in as a close second.
I'm probably the only person on earth that actually liked "The Shadow". :-)

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:Julianne Moore replacing Jodie Foster in Hannibal, or whatever it was called, was not a good move. Then again, that movie was going to suck no matter who starred in it.
Good call on both points.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

aTOMiC wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:I don't think he's the world's greatest actor but I do think he's very talented and he made a great Jack Ryan.
I have to say that "Red October" is by a long stretch my favorite Alec Baldwin film with no other movie coming in as a close second.
I'm probably the only person on earth that actually liked "The Shadow". :-)
I remember quite enjoying The Shadow. It's a few years since I last saw it though.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

the various Batman movies pissed me off. I do like Christian Bale this time around, and am glad they stuck with him for at least 2 movies so far. I wasn't too keen on Keaton, Clooney or Kilmer anyway. too bad we won't be able to see a reprise from Ledger on his Joker role, tho, I hear it's spectacular. Nicholson's was good, for what it was, at the time.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Esmer wrote:the various Batman movies pissed me off. I do like Christian Bale this time around, and am glad they stuck with him for at least 2 movies so far. I wasn't too keen on Keaton, Clooney or Kilmer anyway. too bad we won't be able to see a reprise from Ledger on his Joker role, tho, I hear it's spectacular. Nicholson's was good, for what it was, at the time.
Of the four original Batmen (thanks to the Batman Movie I'm forced to include Adam West :-) ) I think Kilmer suited me the best however Bale is far superior IMHO. It's major that he's coming back for the sequel.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aTOMiC wrote:Of the four original Batmen (thanks to the Batman Movie I'm forced to include Adam West :-) ) I think Kilmer suited me the best however Bale is far superior IMHO. It's major that he's coming back for the sequel.
So you don't mind if they change the actor four times if you get Christian Bale?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

aTOMiC wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:
Agree 100%.
Gee. Didn't have a problem with it. Maybe I didn't care as much about the other films as you did. And of course I didn't read any of the books so I don't have any idea what the character is supposed to be like. Frankly "A Clear and Present Danger" and "Patriot Games" seem like they are unrelated to "The Hunt for Red October". From my perspective at least. Of course if you subscribe to the notion put forth in Team America World Police that Alec Baldwin is the world's greatest actor then I can see your point. :-)
I really dislike what I know of Alec Baldwin, between his political grandstanding and screaming at his kids. That said, he's a tremendously good actor. He was outstanding in Glengary Glen Ross, The Departed, and Heaven's Prisoners in particular, but now that I think about it, I've never seen a bad performance from him. Hell, I've never seen anything other than a great performance from him.

Maybe not the World's Greatest Actor, but damn.....I think he's in the top 10.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Alec Baldwin is always great on Saturday Night Live too.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

Schweddy balls - instant classic! :lol: I love him on 30 Rock, too.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Oh God yes. Baldwin seducing Canteen Boy is one of the funniest things I think I've ever seen.

But this is simply amazing.

Return to “Flicks”