The Official Vice President Thread

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

The Official Vice President Thread

Post by Cail »

OK folks, 3 months to go. Who should the candidates pick for their running mates? Who will they pick?

McCain ought to pick Michael Steele. Steele's a sharp guy. He's young, he's charismatic, and his addition would end the "racism" cries coming from the Left. He'll probably end up picking Romney, which I think is a mistake.

Obama ought to pick Bill Richardson. Richardson would provide far more experience, especially in foreign policy. He'll probably pick Virginia governor Tim Kaine, which will be a huge mistake. Two candidates, virtually no experience.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

It's tough to say this without sounding like I'm joking but I think McCain should pick Hillary.
It would be like a nuke going off in the political process but I think he'd gain more Dems than the Repubs that he'd lose.
At the very least it would make his campaign exciting.

Never happen though.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

and his addition would end the "racism" cries coming from the Left
That's a nice idea. It would work if the world made any sense, but you know how the world is. Chances are that his appearance on the ticket would be seen as a bandaid for a possible campaign problem, and steele would be called an uncle tom. People would trumpet the name richard quinn.
Obama ought to pick Bill Richardson. Richardson would provide far more experience, especially in foreign policy.
I do like Richardson but I kinda feel like he ain't too good on the public appearances and gaffes up a lot. And I mean a lot.
It's tough to say this without sounding like I'm joking but I think McCain should pick Hillary.
It would be like a nuke going off in the political process but I think he'd gain more Dems than the Repubs that he'd lose.
This would be interesting at the very least XD
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:It's tough to say this without sounding like I'm joking but I think McCain should pick Hillary.
8O Geez, HLT, I sure hope he *doesn't* do it! Hillary was my first choice for Prez. If McCain picked her as his running mate, I might have to (ulp!) vote for him. :lol:

I agree that Kaine would be a poor choice for Obama. I haven't been real impressed with the job he's done in Virginia (tho he's certainly been better than that Gilmore idiot was). Kinda hoping he'll pick Evan Bayh for a purely selfish reason: I went to college with him. :biggrin:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i'm in the Bill Richardson camp.

ps...ali...if mccain picked hillary and she said yes...that would confirm everything i thought about her. (and why i didn't want her as the dem candidate.)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

aliantha wrote:Kinda hoping he'll pick Evan Bayh for a purely selfish reason: I went to college with him. :biggrin:
Looking for an appointment? "Supreme Court Justice Aliantha?" "Secretary of State Aliantha?" "Secretary of Dog Walking Aliantha?" Ya, opportunity comes a knocking now don't it?

PS: A good family friend of mine was an old friend of Bolton's wife (I think her name is Gretchen?), I think from high school, but maybe it was college, and he got invited to the UN dinner for Bolton. He got to shake Kofi's hand and everything. But did they invite Holsety? NO, OF COURSE NOT THE HACKS!
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Re: The Official Vice President Thread

Post by kevinswatch »

Cail wrote:OK folks, 3 months to go. Who should the candidates pick for their running mates? Who will they pick?

McCain ought to pick Michael Steele. Steele's a sharp guy. He's young, he's charismatic, and his addition would end the "racism" cries coming from the Left. He'll probably end up picking Romney, which I think is a mistake.
Daaaamn. I don't know why I never thought of it, but Steele would be a damn awesome pick for McCain.

Would make me seriously consider voting for the guy.-jay
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Obama should pick Biden, but I'd be more than satisfied with Richardson.
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Biden's got a ton of experience, but we don't need two arrogant jerks in office.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Don't see how you'll avoid it. We are talking (no matter who takes the #1 and #2 spot) about people who are just arrogant enough to think they should be running the Free World.
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Steele would be an excellent pick for crazy Mac; Romney would be a second choice, but still acceptable and vote worthy for me. For BO, either Warner, who would be nuts to accept, or Richardson, who would just be an adoring puppy, would be about the only two VPs that would be swaying for mid of the roads. All the better qualifides will be either not accepting or setting this one out till next time. Both these highly unqualified pres cands will end up to be political career enders for any Veeps that decide to ride along.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Holsety wrote:
aliantha wrote:Kinda hoping he'll pick Evan Bayh for a purely selfish reason: I went to college with him. :biggrin:
Looking for an appointment? "Supreme Court Justice Aliantha?" "Secretary of State Aliantha?" "Secretary of Dog Walking Aliantha?" Ya, opportunity comes a knocking now don't it?
"Secretary of Dog Walking", at best -- I only met him once. Nah, I just want the bragging rights. :lol:
Lucimay wrote:ps...ali...if mccain picked hillary and she said yes...that would confirm everything i thought about her. (and why i didn't want her as the dem candidate.)
You think she's just in it to be elected, then? Whatever it takes? <shrug> Probably. And after this week's news cycle, I'm starting to think the same thing about McCain (or at least, that his handlers feel that way).

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

Even I don't think Hil would pull a Lieberman just to get into the White House again. Besides, the VP is just the wrong position to put her in. You don't stand in front of a loose cannon, you put the loose cannon out in front of you.

Make her Secretary of State, or let her twist arms in the Senate.
-- James Madison

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I don't see how Romney would even agree to be VP, as neither he nor McCain like one another. Then again, liking has little to do with it.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Plissken wrote:Even I don't think Hil would pull a Lieberman just to get into the White House again.
I Feel like She‘d be more likely To wait 4-8 Years For another Chance. If she goes To McCain Wouldn`t it kinda Make further Elections pretty tough for her、At least in NY?

(Forgive my tyPing, I‘m abroad)
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Holsety wrote:(Forgive my tyPing, I‘m abroad)
How can being a broad effect your typing? That's sexist.

OK, old joke. Pardon. ;)

But really, how does being abroad make ones post look like a kidnapping note.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Different keyboard layout?

Anyway, good point Holsety...I'm sure she'll run for the dem nomination again in 4 years (if McCain wins) or 8 if it's Obama.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

We might as well rename this thread the "WFT Joe?" thread.
Joe Biden told supporters at a town hall Wednesday afternoon that Barack Obama might have been better off choosing Hillary Clinton as his running mate.

“Make no mistake about this, Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America. Let’s get that straight,” Biden said testily when a voter told Biden he was glad the Delaware senator had been chosen and not Clinton.

“She’s a truly close personal friend and she is qualified to be President of the United States of America, she’s easily qualified to be Vice President of the United States of America and quite frankly it might have been a better pick than me,” he continued.

"I mean that sincerely, she’s first rate.”

After dropping out of the presidential race in January, Biden refrained from endorsing either Obama or Clinton — unlike most of the other Democratic contenders who followed. He told donors at a fundraiser in Boston Wednesday morning that after his withdrawal, Obama asked for his support but Biden declined because of his relationship with Clinton.
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

Here's the link
Here's the article:
MSNBC wrote:Former GOP senator calls Palin a 'cocky wacko'
Chafee says the governor has revived a 'lackluster McCain candidacy'
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Former Rhode Island Republican Sen. Lincoln Chafee has called vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin a "cocky wacko" and said her selection as John McCain's running mate has energized supporters of Democrat Barack Obama.

Chafee left the Republican Party last year after losing his bid for re-election and now supports Obama. He told an audience Tuesday at the New America Foundation in Washington that the Alaska governor has revived a "lackluster McCain candidacy."

"They've just thrown this firestorm, this tornado, into the whole presidential election," Chafee said in response to an audience member's question about whether the Obama campaign should worry about Palin's presence in the race.

He said her speech at the Republican National Convention had the unintended effect of energizing Democrats and Obama supporters.

"People were coming into my office, phone calls were flooding in, e-mails were coming in, 'I just sent money to Obama, I couldn't sleep last night' — from the left. To see this cocky wacko up there," Chafee said to laughter.

Chafee said in an interview Thursday that he found much of Palin's convention speech objectionable, particularly her "mocking" assertion that Obama was overly concerned with al-Qaida terrorists getting read their rights.

That comment "got to the core of everything wrong with the last eight years," he said.

"I consider that wacky, and certainly her tone was very, very cocky," said Chafee, a visiting fellow at Brown University's Watson Institute for International Studies. "So I thought they were appropriate words."
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

First, a rather old article on Smoken' Joe, but what the heck, he is still the same funny fellow then as he is now; followed by one of Joe's latest comedy clips.

www.tnr.com/columnists/story.html?id=ba ... 73&k=93697
It's a bright early October morning on Capitol Hill. Joe Biden is bounding up the steps of the Russell Senate Office Building, wearing his trademark grin. As he makes for the door, he is met by a group of airline pilots and flight attendants looking vaguely heroic in their navy-blue uniforms and wing-shaped pins. A blandly handsome man in a pilot's cap steps forward and asks Biden to help pass emergency benefits for laid-off airline workers. Biden nods as the men and women cluster around him with fawning smiles. Then he speaks. "I hope you will support my work on Amtrak as much as I have supported you," he begins. (Biden rides Amtrak to work every day and is obsessed with the railroad.) "If not, I will screw you badly."

A dozen faces fall in unison as Biden lectures on. "You've not been good to me. You're also damn selfish. You better listen to me..." It goes on like this for a couple of minutes. Strangely, Biden keeps grinning--even fraternally slapping the stunned man's shoulder a couple of times. When we finally head into the building, Biden's communications director, Norm Kurz, turns to me. "What you just witnessed is classic Senator Biden."
and now...
Chuck Grahamice Presidential nominee Joe Biden had an awkward moment the other day when he stopped in Columbia.

He was speaking before a large crowd when he decided to give special recognition to State Senator Chuck Graham, a Columbia Democrat.

"Chuck, stand up, let the people see you," Biden shouted.

However, Biden did not realize that Graham is confined to a wheelchair.

"Oh, God love you. What am I talking about? I'll tell you what, you're making everybody else stand up, old pal. I'll tell you what, everybody else stand up for Chuck. Stand up for Chuck!" Biden said.

-- Washington's WTOP-FM.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWe_ueiMC0Y

Return to “Coercri”