What Game are they playing in Toll The Hounds?

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Do you know the game?

I know without doubt
25%
I haven't a clue!
50%
Is it maybe _________?
25%

Total votes: 8

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

What Game are they playing in Toll The Hounds?

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I read the same passages as Lucimay today and realized EXACTLY what board game they are playing in the tavern in Toll The Hounds. She called me and had the same realization. We are curious as to who else plays and picked up on it but I don't want y'all to ruin my secret poll by posting the game name here. SOOOOO... vote in the poll then pm me or Lucimay your answer and we will tell you if you came to the same conclusion that we did. Then after a few weeks I'll post the poll results. I am excited about this experiment.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I'm sad to say I don't remember the description of the game well. Do you have the pg number on hand? If not I'll go looking myself but I'd rather get pointed to it.

I've got the Bantam Press version. Don't think there are any others but just in case.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Starts on page 51 of the trade paperback. The game between Spinner and Seerdomin. That should be ok to say.

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

so far i love this friggin book!!! :biggrin: and this just added a whole new dimension of understanding to me of the entire bigass structure of the layering of plots and storylines of the entire series.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

So far we are the only ones who have recognized the game, Lucimay.

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

hello???? mcflys???? are you gonna guess or not???

murrin??? syl??? come on guys. what is it??? :lol: ;)
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Kef Tanar? (kef is Hebrew for "fun," btw. If tanar has a meaning in Hebrew, I don't know it. It is, however, the name for a race of demons in the Forgotten Realms universe). The description starts on page 52 of the US TPB.
... an ancient game of the Tiste Andii, known as Kef Tanar, that had spread throughout the population of Black Coral and indeed, so he had heard, to cities far beyond - even Darujhistan itself.

As many kings or queens as there were players. A field of battle that expanded with each round was never twice the same. Soldiers and mercenaries and mages, assasins, spies. Spinnock Durav knew that the original inspiration for Kef Tanar could be found in the succession wars among the First Children of Mother Dark, and indeed one of the king figures bore a slash of silver paint on its mane, whilst another was of bleached bonewood. There was a queen of white fire, opal-crowned; and others Spinnock could, if he bothered, hae named, assuming anyone was remotely interested, which he suspected they were not.

(there were over 50 tiles alone for the City alone and a player could make more, if desired)
There are also coins, field tiles, players can become vassals to other players, and there's a major piece(s) called the "Gate."

Sounds Warhammer-ish to me. A mix of Chess (though apparently the queen is the primary piece) and MtG.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

HAH!!! he's never played jenn!!! the sheriff don't know!! :P
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

All good answers and I can see elements of MtG which I admit I have played. :oops: But if you had played the game we are looking to have named you would go "DOH!" when you read that passage.

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

What's with the blush? I've spend an ungodly amount of money on MtG. :lol:
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

never played the game, but when I was reading that bit I kept thinking of the alien game in 'Player of Games' (though I know you couldn't've played that on a table)
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I recognise the description, probably from some other book, but I wouldn't be able to say what it was.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

BTW I didn't get it. And it was awesome to know there was a real world version.
Sounds Warhammer-ish to me. A mix of Chess (though apparently the queen is the primary piece) and MtG.
Ya Warhammer was the closest thing to it in my mind.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I bombarded my friend Tadhg in instant messenger to read "Toll the Hounds" because he's the one who introduced me to the game in the first place.

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:I bombarded my friend Tadhg in instant messenger to read "Toll the Hounds" because he's the one who introduced me to the game in the first place.
Is this Tadhg you speak of the ONE, the ONLY Tadhg O'Higgins who provided his commentary on Lord Foul's Bane several times over the course of Fantasy Bedtime Hour and is also known for being the son of Stephen R Donaldson's alter-ego?

Is FBH moving on to more recent entries in the field of epic fantasy?
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Yes, that would be the infamous Tadhg O'Higgins, same guy who sat in my living room with our friend Seth who plays Lord Mormon who's picture you used to use for an avatar and Karen aka Osondrea and played MtG while SRD looked on before filming said Higgins O'Higgins episode. I was prepping the room and came out to find this very surreal scene. :biggrin:

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

*Muttering to himself* Tadhg O'Higgins ... I should have known that, once again, I'd hear his name mentioned in the same breath as other heroes: Seth, Karen, Jenn, Julie and Heatherly among others, countless others they are; and yet, they be too few. Immortalizing themselves with their singular exploits, they wage solitary wars against death by creating memories that are sure to last as long as humanity itself. Is that long enough?

Some names are meant to be heard again and again. Beyond all odds, be it soon, or be it so late as to be later than the life of the name, a swimmer on an abandoned beach will surely place one ear against the shell that echoes the ocean, proving the splash that caused the wave. A lone hiker will hear the echo of that great tree's collapse, proving its sound. A web surfer in an empty computer lab will watch Fantasy Bedtime Hour. Hopefully that surfer read Lord Foul's Bane, but if not the ever-helpful commentary shall, sooner or later, reveal to him all he needs know and much he needs not.

;)
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Our dvd's are included in the personal collection of SRD at the Kent State Library and are listed as must see by any students wishing to write thesis papers on SRD by the man himself. I know that is totally tooting my own horn but heck, I was blown away when he asked for a second set for that purpose. Imagine the face of a student doing serious research and reading his papers and finding his insistence on watching said dvds and then actually watching them...hahahahaahahaha.... oh the joy! :P

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I'm happy SRD was able to recognize their value! And I hope some grad student does at least drop a footnote somehow. I hope grad students that are fans of SRD have watched Fantasy Bedtime Hour!

I wrote a shorter paper for my english final last year that involved the Malazan series and Spenser's The Fairie Queene. If I do see a prompt at some point that offers me a chance to use Donaldson's works at all, I'll be sure to think of some way to make an oblique reference to FBH.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Sweet! I was just talking to Terry, that would be Myss Terry aka Atrium, retarded Ranynin, Karotica and woman with severed hand tonight and she was saying we should send SRD the footage that she took incognito of the first meeting with SRD, the secret footage including how after he agreed to come on the show and we went outside when Julie in her joy slapped the crap out of me. :biggrin:

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”