My first journey into the Tower

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

My first journey into the Tower

Post by The Dreaming »

Goddammit, I've made it to Wizard and Glass... and I just cant keep the hell out of this forum much longer... Help me be strong, I don't want to spoil it. (but I SOOO do!)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

WaG is (imo) the best book King's written. Enjoy it.

Would you like me to ban you from this forum?

I will if it'll help.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Welcome, The Dreaming.

Do here what I did with my " Fresh Journey" thread. I posted my reactions as I read, and received some wonderful commentary and feed back. But I totally avoided all other threads, once I started the cycle. It was an awesome experience; one I truly appreciate the Watchers enhancing.

The "Fresh Journey" thread is full of spoilers, but they pretty much come in order of the books. You are welcome to read and post in there, if you think you can stop reading the thread and then come back to it at the appropriate places in your own journey.

Enjoy the journey. It's awesome.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

WAG is kind of driving me a little insane, because I am currently becoming involved with a girl who is a nearly exact doppelganger (in my mind at least) for Susan Delgado.

Edit: 10/9

Just finished WAG this morning, pretty awesome stuff. What's really impressing me about the Dark Tower is how each book so far has managed to feel so different from the others, while still being a part of the same Narrative. WAG was practically a bodice-ripper! Just got through the prologue of Wolves of the Calla, and I actually thought to myself at the start, "This is Just like the 7 Samurai/Magnificent 7. I think someone's about to come in and recommend that they hire Gunslingers. When it *did* happen, I couldn't help but laugh. I wonder if Eddie is going to tell Roland the story of The Magnificent 7. Maybe he will follow it up with the story of A Fistful of Dollars :)
Cord
Woodhelvennin

Post by Cord »

Wizard and glass is good - Drawing of the Three is the best...
Shihad
Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Dreaming, are you reading any of the supplemental books as you read? Avatar posted a suggested list here. Personally, of the supplements, I think The Stand and 'Salem's Lot are essential. Especially 'Salem's Lot right before Wolves of the Calla.

Fortunately, 'Salem's Lot is a pretty quick read, if you haven't already read it...
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I got The Stand the same time I bought Song of Susannah. I just started The Dark Tower yesterday. Things are moving a little too fast now for me to really be able to form opinions.

I really need to dig up a copy of Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia.
Cord
Woodhelvennin

Post by Cord »

Insomnia is possibly one of the Best King books - alongside Wizard and Glass, Drawing of the Three
Shihad
Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Just about to set off on this journey too. Followed Menolly's link to Av's recommended order, and I have Eyes of The Dragon and Gunslinger packed away for the trip (the RL trip that is, during which I'll start the DT journey)

:lol:
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Enjoy the journey, Stone.
Both of them.
I look forward to you starting and sharing your own "Fresh Journey" thread. :D

I still feel those first two are two of the most difficult of the series to get in to. Only surpassed, for me, by Insomnia. But they are all worth reading for the whole. Please don't allow my biases to affect your own reading.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The Gunslinger was the first King book I ever read. And it remains one of my all time favourites to this day. :D

I'll never forget
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed.
And
"Go then, there are other worlds than these..."
--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

As I have said before, I'm pretty sure The Gunslinger is the first King I read as well, although I may have read Firestarter before. It was serialized in my Daddy's The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, which I always read cover to cover when he finished with it.

...but I don't recall that story standing out to me.
And had no idea what it was the beginning of.
*shrug*

Regardless, it is essential to the series, so read on Stone!

Return to “Stephen King Forum”