That's Unconstitutional

Archive From The 'Tank
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

That's Unconstitutional

Post by Cybrweez »

OK, tried to get to the bottom of this idea of unification in another thread, but didn't get to far. So I'll try another one.

The phrase, "that's unconstitutional", is thrown around a hell of a lot more than unification. I'll wager most Americans in the 'tank have used that line.

So, what does it mean? How do we determine what the constitution means, and whether any action or law is unconstitutional? I'm sure there's no objective way, so how do we get close enough?
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

Isn't it deceptively simple?

First, let us agree on what items are constitutional - that is, explicitly or implicitly prescribed by the US Constitution.

Then, anything that contradicts or otherwise seems to go against anything on that list we can term unconstitutional.

Easy, right?

Except, er..... does this include the Amendments, or just the main Articles?

Oh... should we go explicit <only>, or can we expand based on the interpretations made by the Supreme Court that attempt to clarify 'constitutional positions'?

OK - maybe not so clear after all.

dw
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Such is the reason we debate.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Right, so if its not so simple, does the phrase really have no meaning?
--Andy

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Unconstitutional means prohibited by the US Consititution. Amendments are included, because they are literally things added to the Consititution.

Often times people argue that such and such is "not in the Constitution" to declare it invalid or inappropriate, but if it's not expressly forbidden, it merely means that the States have dibs on the issue.

It's true enough that sometimes its quite complex to decide if the Consititution allows or prohibits certain actions. This is mostly due to categorization issues. For example, whether or not reading someone's email fits into the category of "search and seizure". Other disputes arise from attempting to prioritize one aspect of the Consitution over another, when application of different pieces can provide conflicting results.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Or simply ignoring what the Constitution explicitly says in favor of supposed pragmatism.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

If there is anyone here who can unerringly determine, on any given issue, what is Constitutional and what is not, I will nominate you for the US Supreme Court. :lol:

Seriously, why do you think we pay lawyers such bundles of money? Because the constitutionality of anything and everything can be endlessly debated.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Well then, ali, you would agree, the phrase has no meaning?

We can't know what is Constitutional? Only judges can tell us, b/c they have the final say? Can we say a judge's decision is unconstitutional?
--Andy

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Cybrweez wrote:Well then, ali, you would agree, the phrase has no meaning?

We can't know what is Constitutional? Only judges can tell us, b/c they have the final say? Can we say a judge's decision is unconstitutional?
IIRC, the role of the courts is to decide what is Constitutional and what is not. And I wouldn't call their say "final", as amendmends to the Constitution can be made.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cybrweez wrote:Well then, ali, you would agree, the phrase has no meaning?

Of course. That's why we have appellate courts. ;)

And as rdhopeca points out, the system has checks and balances. The Constitution can be amended. It's a major pain in the butt, but it can be done.

(You know that I work for a law firm, right?)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

For something so important, it's pretty amusing that there's so much discussion about it. :D I know I've posted before that my countrys constitution has a big loophole that lets anything in it be suspended if the courts agree that it should be.

Constitutions, any constitutions, are really fictions. They're a governments promise, they're enforced by the government, and they can be broken by the government.

We act as though they're building blocks of the universe, or at least society, but in real terms they're only as valid or powerful or dependable as the government allows them to be.

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

in my understanding a constitution is a guiding or...set of guiding principles of government.
A wrote:Constitutions, any constitutions, are really fictions. They're a governments promise, they're enforced by the government, and they can be broken by the government.

We act as though they're building blocks of the universe, or at least society, but in real terms they're only as valid or powerful or dependable as the government allows them to be.

you're so right, Av. thus France's long and bloody haul toward Republic. (5th time's charm? ;) )

i have long said that the problems this particular country faces are yet growing pains previously experienced by other, older governments and societies, which is why i don't get so all het up over some of the discussions like some here in the tank. (that is not a complaint about anyone's passions on any issues, but just an observation) i know that...or at least i think that many things in societies are transient. time and tide and all that. governments or forms of governments as well.
constitutions do not make nations.
people do.
it's all about how we agree to treat one another that separates or divides us.
a constitution is a sort of agreement we all make on how to treat each other. yes? a guiding principal?
so why is it open to interpretation?
eek.
i've just lead myself down some sort of ideology path huh. :oops:

i'm thinking out loud here if you couldn't tell.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Lucimay wrote:it's all about how we agree to treat one another that separates or divides us.
Now if we could just agree to treat each other well... ;)

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Lucimay wrote:it's all about how we agree to treat one another that separates or divides us.
Now if we could just agree to treat each other well... ;)

--A
yep. :D ('cept i meant to say separates or unites us :lol: )
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

But wait, people make nations. So laws that people vote on, we would say they can't be struck down by a Court, b/c the nation is the people. It would mean, any court cannot strike down a law as unconstitutional, b/c the people have spoken?
--Andy

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Nope. The Constitution is about principles, not popular opinion. If the people of California voted to open a no-limit hunting season on illegal aliens, no matter how much people might agree with it, it violates the Constitutional principles of the nation.

Now, if the government were to classify it as an invasion and mobilize the military.......
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Well, it seems that's debatable, from the other postings here.

But let's assume you're right. How do we determine the Constitution's principles?
--Andy

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That's the trick. I tend to lean towards original intent. In other words, based on the men who wrote the thing, based on their writings, and based on what the Constitution actually says.

Now of course that's tricky too, but I tend to believe that's the best way possible to interpret the Constitution.
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I'm reading a book, Original Intent, which has that very theme. But last nite, I started to think, ok, he makes a convincing case about the original intent, in regards to 1st Amendment and religion, but I wonder, does anyone care about original intent?
--Andy

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

They should.

Return to “Coercri”