Pantheon - Discussions on the Future

Moderator: Xar

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I liked Enytha visually, but for ease of counting, Noruk.

--A
The Numen
Giantfriend

Post by The Numen »

I think that Noruk will be easier to read quickly, across several cities on a map. Enytha isn't bad, but it's a little tricky to tell that Yellow is 4 and Red is 3, instead of 5 and 4. You can see Yellow has more than Red, but...

Knowing that there can only be 10 tokens at all, Altrian might actually work. As long as there's a black section for unclaimed tokens in the city, it's easy to keep your eye on 10% portions of the pie chart. You could even do a bigger pie, which would still be midly smaller than a five-player split would look on Noruk.
Nothing rhymes with orange!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

The Numen wrote:You could even do a bigger pie, which would still be midly smaller than a five-player split would look on Noruk.
Or the pie itself could also be the city marker, instead of a separate one for the city?
The Numen
Giantfriend

Post by The Numen »

Menolly wrote:Or the pie itself could also be the city marker, instead of a separate one for the city?
The pie IS the city marker already.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

mmm...
So 'tis.
Told you my eyes are bad.
The Numen
Giantfriend

Post by The Numen »

Menolly wrote:mmm...
So 'tis.
Seeing things that aren't there... that's more a brain problem than an eyes problem.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

The Numen wrote:
Menolly wrote:mmm...
So 'tis.
Seeing things that aren't there... that's more a brain problem than an eyes problem.
No argument from me.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I like Altrian. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Fist and Faith wrote:I like Altrian. :D
Altrian has the advantage that it wouldn't take as much space on the map as the other possibilities; however, keep in mind that a pie chart like Altrian could be difficult to read properly in case some deities have only 10% of the worshippers (it would be a very thin slice of color) and/or if the deities sitting there have similar colors (such as yellow and green)...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

No biggie. I don't need to know if they have 10% or 20%. Just knowing if someone has a big chunk or a little chunk is good enough for me. And if you can zoom, it doesn't matter anyway.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Xar wrote:if the deities sitting there have similar colors (such as yellow and green)...
I imagine that with 12 deities in the game, similar colors would become unavoidable.
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

www.draac.com/colorchart.html

I think from the column on the right I could pick 12 discreet enough colors!

Although it got challenging after 10!!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I tried that once, it don't work. You get four guys fighting over who's gonna be Mr. Black. Since nobody knows anybody else, nobody wants to back down. So forget it, I pick. Be thankful you're not Mr. Yellow.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Dagon
Giantfriend

Post by Dagon »

^ Haha, nice.
“I am you; you are ME. You are the waves; I am the ocean. Know this and be free, be divine.”
-Sri Sathya Sai Baba
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I like Altrian personally.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

One other possibility would be - in the case of the Enytha, Noruk or Raathas - to get rid of the "city dot" entirely, replacing it entirely with the colored bars or coins (so you'd have a circle indicating the city only if no deity had influence there). This would perhaps help in reducing the amount of space taken by each city.

The problems I can see with Altrian are mostly when you have similar colors... not to mention the fact that Altrian is a bit less accurate than the other three possibilities, because the circle is only so big, and you have to paint inside it manually. Finally, if you have three or four deities with just a 10% share of worshippers, it might be difficult to paint them in or to distinguish them at a first glance (and I don't think anyone wants to methodically check every city every turn to see if they have influence there...).
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I think that any method which makes the measurement system part of the icon is a good thing, however, I don't think a pie chart is evocative of the setting.

Just dropping by to say hi and all that. Haven't been around here for some time.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Good to see you, if not Etzlicoatl, here in the Pantheon Montresor.

Xar, I like the idea of using the measurement method alone to designate a city. Although knowing precisely where the city is located may take a bit more guesswork unless the city is large enough to cover the amount of land the icons cover.

If you did that, then I would go back to preferring Enytha. It evokes the setting better, and even with my eyes I was able to count the number of tokens without enlarging the sample picture. It is a little more work than the squares, but I do think, as Montresor mentions, keeping to setting is important as well.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

*waves to Montresor*
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

My vote's for Noruk, but I'd prefer it stacked vertically like Enytha.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Return to “Pantheon”