Aesir: Alternate Pantheon?

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Aesir: Alternate Pantheon?

Post by Fist and Faith »

Anybody up for another Pantheon game? I'd kinda like to try my hand as a GM. And I'd really like to have stuff going on while waiting for P3 results. I asked Xar if it would be cool to run another Pantheon game, staggered with P3. Deadline would always be two weeks after P3 deadlines, so there'd be planning and diplomacy going on while waiting for Xar to do results. Here's what I'm thinking so far. It's based on two things: Pantheon, of course; the fact that I have no experience as a GM. So I have a basis for things, and it's not going to be as complex as Pantheon.

First off, only one domain each. No point in me getting into that mess. Heh.

Second, deities can only use their DRPs themselves. No giving some to another deity.

The basics is this... Ever see the TNG episode Who Watches the Watchers? A planet named Mintaka III has Vulcan-like people. Highly logical, no religion. (Even pointy ears.) They end up thinking Picard is God. "He is the Picard." I'm thinking of a similar situation for AltP. A bunch of villages, each with 1,000 people. Not as advanced as the Mintakans, their villages are just collections of huts. Like the Mintakans, they're non-religious. Until AltP's deities show up.

So, lots of villages scattered around. Every deity starts with, of course, a DR of 1. What I'm thinking is this: When you control 2 villages, you get your 2nd DRP. Your 3rd DRP comes when you control 10 villages. 4th DRP with 20. I want things to move slowly, since I'm entirely new to this. If the first few turns already show bigger growth than I think I can handle so soon, I might have to up those numbers. :lol: I don't want to change rules around, but, again, I'm completely new to this, and I could easily see things getting beyond my control if I'm not careful.

1 DRP for proselytizing will generally get you an unaligned village. If you impress your people with how you use your domain, they'll be all excited, and end up converting surrounding villages even without you putting DRPs into it, although it will take more time. You can convert a village that already worships someone else, but it will take more than 1 DRP. And, of course, you'll likely have a fight on your hands.

There are people living alone, or in very small communities, outside of the villages. They won't be on the map. You can reach 1,000 of them with your proselytizers, or by having your voice heard throughout the area. You can then have them gather together, and form another village. Is it the most effective use of power? *shrug* Who's to say? It takes more power/time to find and convert 1,000 people scattered in the outlying areas than to do a bunch of preaching in a new city. But if you want to make a village grow, they'll move to the village. People in another village probably won't.

Which means a village with 2,000 people equals two villages of 1,000 each.

Your DRP actions will be successful if not hindered. How many DRPs you put into something will determine how large the effect is. That is, how many people (or how much land, or whatever) are effected. Again, 1 DRP will do whatever it is for 1 village. 2 DRPs onto one village will make it work twice as well, etc. The God of Jumping could make one village's inhabitants able to Jump, say, 10% higher than normal. 2 DRPs will make them Jump 20% higher than normal. So, if someone wanted to screw with that, they'd have to put in the power. The God of Weakness could use 1 DRP to make them lose 10% the Jumping you gave them.

But it could be more difficult then that. Again, how you impress them makes them more fervent worshipers. If you have only 1 village, and you've done lots of stuff there, their faith will be strong. So it will take extra power for someone to mess with them. Their faith protects them, eh? Someone who converts village after village might have more DRPs to use, but each village's faith is more lukewarm, so they are more easily messed with and converted to another.

Prophets... If there aren't too many players, and I'm not entirely buried in communications, you'll be able to speak to your Prohet. Txt, email, IM, phone. Really, I don't know how this will work out, but it should be cool. Your followers will absolutely believe your Prophet is speaking your words. Tell Followers X to mobilize the people for war, and some of them will get ready. Tell your Prophet to do it, and they'll be ready to kick ass. Maybe, like Pantheon, your initial Prophet will be free. After that, you'll have to spend 2 DRPs to make a new one, but no sacrifice. And you can only have one Prophet at a time.

Another thing that's going to be powered down is how much can be done with a DRP. Let's say the God of Forests (or Mutation) wants to make a tree into a thinking, walking, talking tree. The first time he did it, it would take a DRP. Just for one tree. Hey, I think that's a pretty impressive trick! The people might fall down in amazement! The next time you try it, you already have experience at it, so you'll be able to make two of these nifty trees with 1 DRP. The third time, a DRP will get you four trees. The upper limit will depend on your Divine Rank.

And just to make sure everybody understands... I'll be figuring a lot of it out as we go. The first time anybody tries something, I'll have to figure out how well it works. How fervent are the followers? How serious is the thing being attempted, compared with what's been done, and what kinds of things might be done in the future? (The scores in Olympic figure skating are always lower than you'd expect for the first few competitors, because the judges want to be able to give higher scores to the better routines they expect will be coming later in the competition.) I'm not making any sort of promise of knowing what this is all about at this point, but I'm going to do what I can.

And I'll add NPCs, artifacts to be found, random events, etc, when I have some of this under my belt.

Deadlines are extremely hard to negotiate. Basically, if you miss it, you miss it.

OK, that's enough talk from me for the moment. Any questions? Points that you need covered?

And, most important, anybody wanna play? :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Sounds fun. I'm in. :D

Assuming the Allfather doesn't roast us with lightningbolts.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Oh! All humans on this world. There are no other races. (Hmm, I guess it needs a name.)

And I didn't really say it, but to be clear, there's no connection with this game and Xar's. He was just kind enough to let me use his ideas to base this game off of. Really, I only had a small amount of RPG experience, and that was decades ago. Without something to base it on, I wouldn't be considering attempting something like this. And I like the pace of Pantheon's seasonal turns better than real-life type action.

Big bow to the Allfather. I wonder if we'll see a whole bunch of Pantheon spinoffs! :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sure, I'm in. :D

--A
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I'd love too, but I have a feeling I'd be biting off more than I can chew if I joined. So not commiting myself just yet.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

You already know that I'm in.
The King has one more move.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Stonemaybe wrote:I'd love too, but I have a feeling I'd be biting off more than I can chew if I joined. So not commiting myself just yet.
You are biting off more than you can chew?!?!??? :LOLS:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

I'll be running AltP. May as well have another Allfather, eh? :D Han hasn't been busy lately, so I changed my name back to my original one.
I climb the road to Cold Mountain,
The road to Cold Mountain that never ends.
- Han-shan

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.
- Robert Frost

Today was a good day. - Ice Cube
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

I'm Diana, goddess of the sea.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

If Odin can handle my craziness
(or nip it in the bud, as was implied via PM)
...I'm in.

Are we already picking deity and domain without knowing anything of the setting, other than all humans only?

...hmm...wonder if I can talk Beorn into giving this a try...
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

oh, me me me me me!!!

I want in!!!!
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Heh, I just had one ready in the back of my mind when Eric mentioned this to me. It is the diety I was thinking of using in P3 but changed to Calais.

She should fit well into AltP.
The King has one more move.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Oh, geuss I ought to include the domain I wanted...Knowledge
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Considering who is mastering this game, I hereby announce my first insane move. I'll take a domain I haven't played before, and make claim on the domain of...

Love.

...now to put thought into how I wish to play this...
Mynaesos
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mynaesos »

I'm in.
“Borders are scratched across the hearts of men
by strangers with a calm, judicial pen,
and when the borders bleed we watch with dread
the lines of ink along the map turn red.”
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, ok. Probably go with a fairly simple character and domain for this one.

Edit: Didn't take me long to realise my mind was already made up. If I can, I'd take Death.
Agapé
Ramen
Location: I'm so lovable, the doctors gave me a special white jacket so I can hug myself!

Post by Agapé »

...Love will find a way
I believe that there's a way
if you want it to
will love find a way
Love will find a way
will love find a way
Love will find a way
Light of the world, shine on me
Love is the answer
Shine on us all, set us free
Love is the answer

And when you feel afraid, love one another
When you've lost your way, love one another
When you're all alone, love one another
When you're far from home, love one another
When you're down and out, love one another
All your hopes run out, love one another
When you need a friend, love one another
When you're near the end, love one another
We got to love one another
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

Forests (I assume?)
Death
Seas
Love
Knowledge

The game will be called Aesir, btw. :D
I climb the road to Cold Mountain,
The road to Cold Mountain that never ends.
- Han-shan

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.
- Robert Frost

Today was a good day. - Ice Cube
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

omg...i just noticed your title odin!!! HILARE!!!! :thumbsup:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]