Your Fav/Best Star Trek Film?

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

What's your fav?

Wrath of Khan
48%
Voyage Home
12%
The Motion Picture
12%
Generations
No votes
Next Generation two-hour Pilot Movie (TV)
No votes
Undiscoverd Country
4%
Search for Spock
4%
Other
20%

Total votes: 25

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Easily. :D

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Posted this in another thread but it seems equally applicable here.
aTOMiC wrote:I re-watched Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis this past weekend.

I've always felt that Generations suffers from the creative team having difficulty transitioning from television to film.

What was so noticeable this time was that the story telling feels labored in a way that only an existing fan of the Next Gen series would forgive. The stakes are never adequately demonstrated and the film leaps from ship to ship to ship to Nexus to ship to uninhabited rocky terrain giving the story a claustrophobic feel that could have been accomplished on a television episode budget. The scenes with Kirk and Picard are only shared with Dr. Soran so this legendary pairing seems incredibly isolated. (You couldn't squeeze in a scene on the Enterprise where the bridge crew is looking at the main viewer to check up on Picard and sees Kirk and are all like..WTF!?) Soran is killed and after Kirk dies Picard buries him so when Picard gets back to Star Fleet and explains that he had an adventure with the great Captain Kirk they probably thought he'd hit his head.
Picard: "But I did meet James Kirk! I did! Doesn't anyone believe me?"
Star Fleet Command: "Sure you did, Jean Luc. We understand. Just last week I became Abraham Lincoln and fought along side Kirk, Spock and Surak of Vulcan. Why don't you take extended shore leave on Risa?"

Not terrible but not awesome.

My opinion of First Contact hasn't changed...

Insurrection is pretty much a film of two halves. The first half is a typical low key Next Gen story about wrestling with philosophical issues in a quiet and dignified manner and in the second half a hollywood feature almost breaks out. If I didn't love Next Gen I might have fallen asleep before the beginning of the third act. Not a great formula for selling tickets to the general public.

After staying away from watching Nemesis for several years I found the film to be well acted and directed but just a little misguided.
I have always liked the premise and a good deal of the film is entertaining. The sub-plot involving B4 is distracting and unnecessary, especially how he is found in the first act.

And oh by the way let me reiterate...Kirk is the ultimate Star Ship Captain.
IMHO of course. :biggrin:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I should watch Nemesis again. Only seen it once. I remember being annoyed with the end being anticlimactic and generally lacking in suspense, but I don't really remember why.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I tried watching Nemesis a few months ago. I shut it off shortly after the scene where Picard went ATVing (wish I would have shut it off B4 that ;) )
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:I tried watching Nemesis a few months ago. I shut it off shortly after the scene where Picard went ATVing (wish I would have shut it off B4 that ;) )
HAH!!!!

Well SG, that's where it gets sticky for me too. (I HATE THE DUNE BUGGY SCENE ESPECIALLY!!!!)

I think I begin to find the film interesting after Shinzon is introduced and the duality of the two versions of Picard are explored over the course of the rest of the film.

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'd managed to forget about the dune buggy scene.

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Sorus wrote:I'd managed to forget about the dune buggy scene.
If only I could. :-)

The only thing I would also like to forget more would be Spock's "rocket boots".

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

aTOMiC wrote:
The only thing I would also like to forget more would be Spock's "rocket boots".
ST:V would have been better in general if they'd replaced most of the scenes with different scenes. And rewritten the script. You know, just a couple of minor changes like that.

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Sorus wrote:
aTOMiC wrote:
ST:V would have been better in general if they'd replaced most of the scenes with different scenes. And rewritten the script. You know, just a couple of minor changes like that.

That sounds like a perfectly logical solution. :biggrin:

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Have to wonder about the dune buggy though - did they build it just for that mission or is that something they have around all the time? And if that's the case, why did we never see it before?

So many questions.

Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

Sorus wrote:Have to wonder about the dune buggy though - did they build it just for that mission or is that something they have around all the time? And if that's the case, why did we never see it before?

So many questions.
I found it odd that they came down in a small shuttle that can hover above ground and go anywhere, yet for some reason decided to switch to a land rover with wheels. Of course, it sets up the ensuing car chase scene pretty well :P

My biggest problem was the Remans. How the hell did we not know about them before that movie? Neat idea, "Dark Side of the Moon Romulans", but I didn't buy it.

I watched Star Trek V a few months back as well, and I *did* finish it (I usually do finish a movie once I start it, I'm a movie lover, and Trek lover, so that speaks volumes about how much I didn't like Nemesis!). V's pretty bad, but it does have some redeeming qualities, like, well, I watched it when I was a kid, so there is some nostalgia going for it...and I like the campfire song bit that opens and closes the movie. I don't know, it was pretty bad (cat women dancers, mountain climbing Shatner, Scotty and Uhura?....Spock's BROTHER?....No seriously, he has a fully Vulcan brother that acts like a human, brilliant!) But without V, we wouldn't have one of my favorite Mallory's games!

At least TOS movies got some redemption with The Undiscovered Country. Too bad TNG never got a last shot at redemption :?
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:My biggest problem was the Remans. How the hell did we not know about them before that movie?

From the earliest mentions of the Romulan Empire we had been told about the planets Romulus and Remus so I was not surprised by the Remans being introduced into the Nemesis story. I don't recall ever seeing a Reman before but I knew of them.

As to Star Trek V...I have tried numerous times to try to find some redeeming quality in the film and have failed. Not a fan of the camp fire song. Not a fan of Sulu and Chekov getting lost. Not a fan of Uhura's fan dance. Not a fan of Scotty cracking his head on a bulkhead. Not a fan of Sybok (though Laurence Luckinbill did his best with a crappy part and gave an at least earnest portrayal). Not a fan of the sub par special effects. Not a fan of the Vulcan neck pinch on a horse. Not a fan of an alien defending a dry field of holes to make a point. Not a fan of brain washing the crew by taking away their pain (that's not even a thing). Not a fan of the idiotic way the "god" entity was portrayed. Not a fan of the bafflingly dumb use of the Klingons. Not a fan of the entire concept of Nimbus III. Not a fan of the Uhura and Scotty thing. Not a fan of a 100 lb plus Cat Woman being thrown up and across a room by Kirk like he's got super human strength. Not a fan of Kirk mountain climbing. Not a fan of the Enterprise A being a piece of crap. NOT A FAN OF THE F*CK*NG ROCKET BOOTS!!!!!!!

I could go on forever here. But lets not forget something that I consider vital. I am also one who LOVES Star Trek and is willing to forgive just about anything because I am the worst kind of fanboy. However I draw the line here! No further! :biggrin:

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

aTOMiC wrote: I could go on forever here. But lets not forget something that I consider vital. I am also one who LOVES Star Trek and is willing to forgive just about anything because I am the worst kind of fanboy. However I draw the line here! No further! :biggrin:
Same. As I've said before (the main context was the last season of BSG) - I don't tend to nitpick something to bits unless it's something that I'm pretty deeply invested in. Basically, I love this but I know you can do better.

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I love "The Voyage Home" the best, for its environmental message and for all its humor. I can't say I hate any "Star Trek" movie, but "The Final Frontier" and "Insurrection" seem to me to be the worst of this movie series.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Im glad you updated your list TOM

I really enjoyed the new ones Star Trek is a definite favourite, I also love the next Gen cast too. I wasnt sold on Chris Pine at first actually thought Chris Hemsworth his dad would have been a better fit.

But my goodness I was wrong he was great in both movies. And Zachary Quinta a perfect young Spock. I love the fast pace of the newer movies, while Ill always love ALL the ST movies, I like the new ones too. Even the guy that played young Bones was well cast

Was it Keith Urban I forget but he was suitably grumpy
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

ST:V bears the most resemblance to the series. It's corny. It relies on the relationship between the three leads. It tackles a Big Idea. It's not perfect by any measure, but it is - by a tick past The Wrath of Khan - my favorite Trek film.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

😊
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Though Cail and I don't seem to agree very often, I pretty much agree with him here. That is, at least on the broad-strokes, since I'm not ready to commit to ST:V being my unequivocal "fave". However, I think it's far, far better than it gets credited. As Cail says, it perfectly channels the "lead-three" character dynamic. It also has some surprisingly poignant character moments.

Plus, it's got a fart-joke. It's got a fan-dance. It's got God shouting "Yooou!". What's not to like?

It's not an elegant film, but it's a helluva lot of fun. If you want elegant, ST:TMP is down the hall and to the left. Otherwise, get yerself home, pop some corn, and go search for God.
​
​
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Wosbald wrote:+JMJ+

Though Cail and I don't seem to agree very often, I pretty much agree with him here. That is, at least on the broad-strokes, since I'm not ready to commit to ST:V being my unequivocal "fave". However, I think it's far, far better than it gets credited. As Cail says, it perfectly channels the "lead-three" character dynamic. It also has some surprisingly poignant character moments.

Plus, it's got a fart-joke. It's got a fan-dance. It's got God shouting "Yooou!". What's not to like?

It's not an elegant film, but it's a helluva lot of fun. If you want elegant, ST:TMP is down the hall and to the left. Otherwise, get yerself home, pop some corn, and go search for God.

:facepalm:

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈHahahaha πŸ˜‚

Its probably not a competition but feels like it.

Its great you have your fave or faves. Im a fan I love them all. Im not a purist though. So I enjoy the newer movies as well. I like the tighter stories, better acting, superior special effects and fast moving pace.

That in no way spoils my enjoyment of the movies that preceded them. Theyre also significant to me as they were part of my youth.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to β€œStar Wars and Star Trek Forum”