Shall Pass Utterly Forum Now Online

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Shall Pass Utterly Forum Now Online

Post by kevinswatch »

:biggrin:

(I still like the original book name better.)

-jay
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

me too...
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I like how it relates back to the original poem/song, but it's pretty god-awful awkward. Kind of like that description, right there. :)
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

*sigh*

Still over a year to wait tho. But, this is our lot in life...to keep waiting for SRD books. :)

And for the record, I liked "Shall Pass Utterly" better too.
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I pissed him off in Albuquerque two years ago when I asked if there was any chance of getting them to change it back. Alas, it ain't gonna happen. :(
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Shall Pass Utterly should be the title of the last book...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Oh no, The Last Dark is perfect. They better not mess with that one...
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

But there's no reference to "Dark" or "Darkness" (I wouldn't reference Tim Curry if I didn't have to either) in all the Chrons...what meaning, then, would it have to the inhabitants of the Land?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Ah, but there is...

White Gold Wielder, Chapter 19: Hold Possession
Her father's laughter, pouring like a flood of midnightfrom the old desuetude of the attic; a throng of nightmares in which she foundered; triumph hosting out of the dire cavern and plunge which had once been his frail mouth. You never loved me anyway. Never loved him—or anyone else. She had not mustered the bare decency to cry aloud as she strangled her mother, drove that sick woman terrified and alone into the last dark.

This was what Joan had felt, this appalled and desperate horror which made no difference of any kind, could not so much as muffle die sound of malice. Buried somewhere within herself, Joan had watched her own fury for Covenant's blood, for the taste of his pain. And now Linden looked out at him as if through moksha Jehannum's eyes, heard him with ears that belonged to the Raver. Lit only by the ghoulish emanations of the creatures, he stood in the bottom of the crevice like a man who had just been maimed. His damaged arm dangled at his side. Every line of his body was abused with need and near-prostration. The bruises on his face made his visage appear misshapen, deformed by the pressures building inside him. Where the wild magic was manacled. Yet his eyes gleamed like teeth, focused such menace toward the Ravers that moksha Jehannum's brother had not dared to strike him again.

"Take me to Foul,' he said. He had lost his mind. This was not despair: it was too fierce for despair. It was madness. The Banefire had cost him his sanity. "I'll give him the ring.'

His gaze lanced straight into Linden. If she had owned a voice, she would have cried out.

He was smiling like a sacrifice.
And this...
And Covenant went on sagging as though he bad begun to crumble. All his strength was gone. He could no longer pretend to hold himself upright. One by one, his loves had been stripped from him: he had nothing left. After all, he was only one ordinary man, small and human. Without wild magic, he was no match for the Despiser.

When he weakly lifted his half-hand, began tugging the ring from his finger. Linden forgave him. No choice but to surrender it. He had done everything possible, everything conceivable, had surpassed himself again and again in his efforts to save the Land. That he failed now was cause for grief, but not for blame.

Only his eyes showed no collapse. They burned like the final dark, the last deep midnight where no Sunbane shone.

His surrender took no more than three heartbeats. One to raise his hand, take hold of the ring. Another to pull the band from his finger as if in voluntary riddance of marriage, love, humanity. A third to extend the immaculate white gold toward the Despiser.
So, like I said, they better not mess with the title of the last book. Because if what I think is going to happen, happens...well, the title is perfect.
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

:Hail:
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

:)

Well, I did dissect that chapter afterall. :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Shall Pass Utterly Forum Now Online

Post by Rigel »

kevinswatch wrote::biggrin:

(I still like the original book name better.)

-jay
And I still like your cover for it :)

I just hope they don't try to put Frodo on the next one...
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Frodo won't be on the cover of AATE because he's all ready on the cover of RotE :roll: We'll probably see Aragorn or Erwin next...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Rigel wrote:I just hope they don't try to put Frodo on the next one...
Too late.

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

wth??? yikes...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

It'll be the elf girl on the cover, cuz Linden has the ring, and she's a she.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Frodal, Linden-mate is like, "that's it? Isn't it a little, umm, 'plain'? You don't really love me as much as I thought you did...now go ask your friends some questions before you make the decision to give me a more elaborate ring like I know you will, Linden honey..."
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

wayfriend wrote:
Rigel wrote:I just hope they don't try to put Frodo on the next one...
Too late.

FINALLY, they got the color of the Ring correct! This almost makes up for the re-release of the First Chrons :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

A quick question for the ignorant (ie. me) - what does Shall Pass Utterly refer to?
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

StevieG wrote:A quick question for the ignorant (ie. me) - what does Shall Pass Utterly refer to?
It's a prequel to the 1st Chrons focusing primarily on an ADD nine-year-old, Thomas, having to deal with missing the bus to school...
:biggrin:
It's actually the name SRD first chose for book three of the Last Chrons...which will now be called Against All Things Ending (editors choice).
Sunshine Music
Deep Music

Return to “Against All Things Ending”