STOP ROLLING DICE!!!!

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Loredoctor
Lord

STOP ROLLING DICE!!!!

Post by Loredoctor »

Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

LOL!!!

Alright, I got to about 5:58 before i just couldn't listen to anymore.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Such a pedant about dice, yet he doesn't know the singular noun.
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

^ Oh snap. I laughed. And felt a little bad for watching the whole thing.
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Falconer Winterleaf
Woodhelvennin

Post by Falconer Winterleaf »

Very intriguing. I have a very large(About 75-200) collection of dice. My dad has about 100-300 and so does my mom. A friend has a huge collection of them(I would guess about 300 to 500). Course, we play D&D a lot, so lot's of dice are important. I bet we don't have too many dice that are "made right", so to speak.

I guess I like pretty dice more than accurate dice! lol.

And, yeah. I watched the whole thing, Despiser take me! It was actually kinda cool. Some of it sounded a bit...quackish, but what the hell! I',ll accept it for now. Until I make my own! MUAHAHAH!
"Branches spread and tree trunks grow
Through rain and heat and snow and cold:
Though wide world's winds untimely blow,
And earthquakes rock and cliff unseal,

My leaves grow green and seedlings bloom
Since days before the Earth was old
And Time began its walk to doom,
The Forests world's bare rock anneal,

Forbidding dusty waste and death
I am the Land's Creator's hold:
I inhale all expiring breath,
And breath out life to bind and heal.

But ax and fire leave me dead.
I know the hate of hands grown bold.
Depart to save your heart-sap's red:
My hate knows neither rest nor weal."

TCTC: About to start FR
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I have my box-o-dice. Buncha 10s for Vampire. Buncha 6s for Shadowrun. But really, these days, I just use the the rnd() function in Excel.

I'm not sure if that makes me more or less of a geek.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Goatkiller666 wrote:I have my box-o-dice. Buncha 10s for Vampire. Buncha 6s for Shadowrun. But really, these days, I just use the the rnd() function in Excel.

I'm not sure if that makes me more or less of a geek.
Heh...I dont' play anymore, but I still have all my dice, I DM'd a lot, so I had "spare" sets for when players were new or absent-minded.
Piles of 6-siders, [clear, plain, marbled, spotted, blah blah] in sets of 10 of each color [shadowrun], 10-siders the same for white-wolf games, multi-sets the same for dnd, metal dice, "crystal" dice, bone dice, and a set of dice I built myself with wire, soldering iron, and snips of tin roofing for a game I was creating with a friend of mine. Why, you ask [in my head you do anyway...even if you don't care, I can MAKE you care in there] would I make my own dice? And I answer: because the system uses only prime-number dice. [3 sided, 7 sided, and 13 sided].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

7 sided die in Excel: =ROUND(RAND()*6,0)+1
13 sided die in Excel: =ROUND(RAND()*12,0)+1

But, while I think there's a certain amount of geek cred in using a computer to do all the random functions... building your own actual dice... that's a whole other level of dedication to the cause.

My hat is off to you, sir.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So.... just thinking... =ROUND(RAND()*6,0)+1 would make 1 and 7 only 50% as likely as 2-6. (Or, if you change that for any number of sides, you're still 50% less likely to get the highest or lowest value.)

Perhaps I need to rewrite my spreadsheet. My Vampire players may well owe you some thanks, Vraith.

=roundup(rand()*7,0) should prolly do it.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Goatkiller666 wrote:7 sided die in Excel: =ROUND(RAND()*6,0)+1
13 sided die in Excel: =ROUND(RAND()*12,0)+1

But, while I think there's a certain amount of geek cred in using a computer to do all the random functions... building your own actual dice... that's a whole other level of dedication to the cause.

My hat is off to you, sir.
Heh...well, I only made 2 of each of them, and mostly cuz of a crazy-altered-consciousness bet inspired by an altered-consciousness session mixed with random happenstance.
Player: Crap...man I just rolled a 13 AGAIN...4 times in a ROW! I'm making 13 my lucky number from now on.
Me: Too late for that now, 13 again means you miss, again. The svirfneblin doesn't miss though...bad luck, cuz now you're unconscious and bleeding to death.
Player2: Holy Shit! I rolled a 13, too! What the hell happens next? Some guy named Eric shows up telling us to beware of the Gazebo?
My Wife, [who was not my wife yet, but was an Earth science major, math minor at the time] calling from the living room: Guys! Stop rolling the 13-siders, attack rolls are 20-side.
Everyone laughs, except one person who say, loudly "You can't make odd-sided dice that roll right...they're all lopsided if you do!"
My [eventual] Wife, from living room: From now on, you can only allow players in the game smart enough to get a joke!
Non-joke-getting-person muttering while we laugh at him: well you can't...
Me: I bet I can, somehow.
Humour-challenged person: Bet! If you can't do it, I get 10,000 extra experience end of next session!
Me: OK...but if I can, you never get to play a secretly evil character plotting to steal everyones loot and rule the world ever again.

Well...I won the bet...then I had to invent a game that actually USED odd-sided dice...I mean, that's a rule, right? If you CAN make something, you HAVE to make it useful for something?
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

great video.

having not played d&d in maybe 20 yrs I haven't even thought of multi-sided dice.

i do have two old Dragon mags that my comic store gave me for free.

i should read them. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Gravin Threndor”