The Drawing of Stonemaybe [Dark Tower spoilers]

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I've picked up second hand's of all the other books already.

Going to a wedding in Edinburgh in a couple of weeks. never been there before so a friend suggested I try some Ian Rankin cos they're set in Edinburgh. So that's what I've been trying to read before re-starting Salem's Lot. But omg it's boring sh*te! Will give it a couple more chapters and unless it gets significantly better I'll stop and go back to 'Salem.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Stonemaybe wrote:I got the impression (and as i said, there was one bit that gave me that impression, that I can't remember now!) that it was proper english/ slang english.
High Speech would be comparable to the Kings English or the way Nobles conversed, Low Speech would be how the Ordinary folk would communicate. remember that Roland and the gunslingers were from Line of Arthur of Eld or on our side King Arthur and the Knights of the Round table. It was a way of commanding respect from someone who would usually not give that respect..such as Cort... using low speech he would likely kick the side of your head in.. but as Roland Confronted him using the High speech while he kicked open Corts Door, it commanded respect rather than an asskicking. he even dropped to the low speech to tell roland to not be foolish, realizing roland would not recant his challenge he went back to high speech.

High speech was used as a way of letting someone know they are for that moment an equal. (at least thats how i interpreted it)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Always seemed to me like the difference between extremely formal voice, and informal voice. The "Thou" and "Thine" equivalent from Roland's world.

--A
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

:crazy: There's vampires knocking on windows. This book will be the death of my liver.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>

Return to “Stephen King Forum”