Football World Cup South Africa 2010

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Germany was by far the better team, and would have won in spite of the crappy call on the goal by Lampard. Germany plays an entertaining style. The game between Germany and Argentina should happen later in the tournament than the quarter-finals in that they are the two most interesting teams to watch this year, IMO. I'll go out on a big limb, and suggest that the winner next week-end will take the cup. And, if not, I'm a dunce. (Not like I've not been called that before). ;)
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Phantasm wrote:Well done Germany.
Well, actually the combined forces of Turkey, Ghana and Poland won the match, England lost and Germany just watched it.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Germany looked fantastic, but the disallowed goal was criminal. It would have made it 2-2 and completely changed the game. However, I think Germany would have still won, they played better.

Who'd have thought - an exciting German team?? :lol:

Argies look damn good too. I'm with Damelon - I think they are the 2 best teams in the competition. Whether the winner of Arg v Ger wins the cup remains to be seen. You don't have to be the best team to win (just look at Italy last time...)
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Not the flair you expect from Brazil, but effective and ruthless. They're looking good too.

Netherlands did just enought to see off Slovakia.

Netherlands V Brazil quarter final looks like it could have potential.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, let me start by saying that Ive tried several times throughout my life to embrace Soccer, oops sorry about that "Football". Over the last 2 weeks Ive watched more games than ever before, and I feel like it has been a wasted effort. Im not becoming a fan, and Ill tell you why. The officials suck. This is supposed to be the most important sporting event in the world next to the Olympics and it seems like the officials get more calls wrong than right. It will never catch on here in the states unless they introduce technology into officiating. Until this happens its not even worth watching.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I'm a bit like Mr. Broken. Played soccer for years, love it, especially live, but this World Cup is terrible. Not just referee'ing, but the flopping is ridiculous (the US/Ghana game put me over the edge). I would think FIFA would enjoy American money pumped into the game, but if this is the best they got, forget about it.

I'd love someone to review every game in these finals, and count up the phantom calls and missed easy ones. I think the phantom calls are just as bad, encouraging the flopping.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

I'm sure they've tried technology and I seem to remember the refs talking to the monitor refs on headsets. It was agreed that technology doesn't work in football...oops...soccer. It interferes with the flow of the game, which is the essence of the sport (not forgetting the offside rule as well).

But maybe just by adding more linesmen like they do in tennis might work.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

As sad as it may seem, but I guess FIFA and football needs American money as much as FIA and Formula 1 racing. The fact that these sports never had that much acceptance in the USA couldn't keep them from becoming the pinnacle of sports world-wide. I don't think officials see the need to change anything to get American money.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Is the world cup still going on? ;) :P
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Yea, I don't think they need US money.

It may just be a public relations move but today FIFA president Blatter said they'll "revisit" replay for goals after the tournament is over. Of course, whether they do anything at that time is yet to be seen. I can see why they don't want replay for things like offsides; you could really destroy the game by continually stopping the action. And what about a call where they DO call offsides, but then find out it wasn't? Can't exactly go back and restart that play. At least if they do it for goals that'll be a start.

You don't see the NBA, NHL, or NFL using it for foul calls and penalties, but at least they can (usually) get touchdowns, fumbles, goals etc correct.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, FIFA gets plenty of money...A lot of it from the host country, the bastards.

And yeah, at the very least, they should bring some goal-line technology in.

Pity about Japan going out on penalties...they played a very good game from what I saw.

--A
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

In the NFL coaches are allowed challenges , I believe one per half when the officials make questionable calls. If the replay doesnt prove the coaches challenge legitamate they lose a time out, Im not sure how that translates to soccer, but I dont see any difference between taking the time to use replay, and stopping play to issue a penalty card.
Wide Eyed Stupid
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Simulation, as they call it - cheating, as everyone else calls it - is the biggest problem in the game in my opinion. Teams like Italy can ruin the competition through their unnecessary diving and exxaggerated "injuries" with the sole purpose of getting the opposition player into trouble. Italy are by no means on their own - most of the South American countries, and some of the others are almost as bad.

I would imagine that it's very difficult to pick up with the naked eye because they are so good at it. (That's why it's so refreshing to see teams like Australia, New Zealand and others who haven't learnt how to dive!). I would be in favour of an appeal or two from the coaches if they think there's a blatant miscarriage of justice.

I would definitely be in favour of goal line video refereeing.

I disagree that this World Cup has been terrible. I thought the standard of refereeing was exceptional, up until the round of 16 really. There were a few cock-ups, but in general I was impressed. It all went to shit a bit in the round of 16 - must have been the pressure... The action (apart from a few blatant exceptions) has been breathtaking in its speed, and unbelievable skill. There have been plenty of incredible goals (for those who absolutely have to see lots of goals), lots of upsets, and lots of great celebrations!

All sports have their frustrations, but on the whole I think it has been fantastic viewing and the best is yet to come. Nothing places me in such a gut-wrenching tense state than watching Australia come up against the best nations in the world in this sport. I love many sports, but football is THE one for me.

A couple of days rest and on to Netherlands v Brazil - what a cracker that could be!! Argentina v Germany 8O - that should be the grand final! I'll be staying up late for those games...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

What a classic game - Netherlands beat Brazil 2-1 against the odds!! I'm pumped, but really need to go to bed so I can catch Argentina v Germany tomorrow night...

Well done Dutch - it was a surprise but not unwelcome!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Well, actually the combined forces of Turkey, Ghana and Poland won the match, England lost and Germany just watched it
Soo true, see England have a problem with doing this because whenever this is brought up all i hear is 'oh they are not English, they will not get the spirit of playing in this special and the spirit of 66'
Does it matter, Germany have Polish, Ghana, Brazil and Turkey in their team, Germany don't complain.
I think players like Arteta (Spainish player who has been in this country 5 years and never played for Spain thus can be called into England team) could do a good job for England, etc

I found out that i am 1/4 Argentina thus I am from that country so i have a awesome football team, me and Messi are practically brothers :p
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I wouldn't want to be any part Argentinian right now after a German 4-0 humiliation :P
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, 4-0 to Germany. Brazil and Argentina both out. :D Netherlands-Germany final?

(Bloody pity about Ghana...they really squandered one golden opportunity, and a few lesser ones.)

--A
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I prayed for Argentina to win so my neighbour - the German equivalent of a redneck hillbilly hick - would choke on his vuvuzela.

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, the GF was doing the same for Uruguay in the match with Ghana. Of course, around here it's lot more than one neighbour with the damn things... :D

--A
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Well done to the Netherlands for beating Uruguay 3-2 in the semi final.

Goal of the tournament so far from Gio Van Bronkhurst. 35 yard screamer into the top corner - superb.

Looking forward to the Germany v Spain semi tomorrow. Looks like Torres might be dropped. He's had a poor tournament so far.

Could be a matter of who scores most, Klose for the Germans, or Villa for the Spanish
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Return to “Sports”