Russia to Save Earth From Asteroid

Archive From The 'Tank
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Russia to Save Earth From Asteroid

Post by kevinswatch »

The title of this article was too good to pass up.

Thanks Russia!!!

www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/12/russia ... es+2%29%29
Vlad Putin, we’re sorry we ever made fun of you. In an interview today with Voice of Russia radio, Russia’s space agency chief said discussions would begin soon over a plan to save the world from a collision with a massive asteroid.

It’s not clear how, exactly, the Russians plan to deflect Apophis, a chunk of rock the size of two and a half soccer fields that was first discovered by astronomers in 2004. Anatoly Perminov, the space agency head, promised that there would be “no nuclear explosions” and that everything would be done “on the basis of the laws of physics.”

Astronomers initially guessed that Apophis had a reasonably good chance of smashing into Earth on its first flyby; NASA now reckons that the chances of that have gone from slim (one-in-45,000) to almost none (four-in-a million). But despite the lower NASA estimate, the Russians aren’t so sure. Perminov said the asteroid “will surely collide with the Earth in the 2030s.”
Wow! That's a relief! It's a good thing that they're using physics to solve this pickle of a problem!

-jay
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Here is the Russian Space Fleet Pooty Poot intends on sending:

Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

This asteroid seeks to destroy us and our way of life. I say we suspend the laws of physics.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

In SA, with 50 million people, everybody has a 1 in a million chance of being murdered every day. For 50 people every day, that 1 in a million chance happens. The odds are good, but it happens 50 times a day.

The earth has been nailed by asteroids, (and bigger ones), plenty of times in the past. The moon's craters didn't just form for show. It is, as far as I know, inevitable that the earth will be hit again.

4 in a million, (or 1 in 250,000?) might not be such a long shot afterall... ;)

--A
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

4 in a million, (or 1 in 250,000?)
Funny, that stat caught my eye as well. I guess 4 in a million just looked or sounded better than 1 in 250,000! Might as well have said it was a 200 in 50,000,000 chance or 50,000 in 12,500,000,000!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

showoff...
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?

Post by Avatar »

Brinn wrote:I guess 4 in a million just looked or sounded better than 1 in 250,000!
I suspect it looks less likely than 1 in 250,000. :lol:

--A
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Everybody knows that you can only have one significant figure in the denominator ;)

So that you can write it as P = 4/1E6.
P = 1/2.5E5 just looks to sloppy!
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl

Post by Avatar »

Bloody scienticists... :lol:

--A
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Kil Tyme wrote:Here is the Russian Space Fleet Pooty Poot intends on sending:

Dear god, that is a great picture!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Seconded, I am extremely interested in that picture. Retro-futurism is fascinating to me. (Loved Sky Captain!)
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Stupid Russians, trying to stop an asteroid without a wave motion gun installed on any of the ships in their space fleet.
:thumbsdown:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Perhaps we can send it (the meteor) democracy!
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Stupid Russians, trying to stop an asteroid without a wave motion gun installed on any of the ships in their space fleet.
:thumbsdown:
Quote of the day.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Asteroid?
How about a small moon?

https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Post by Avatar »

Death From SPace

Washington - The US is doing little to defend the planet against potentially devastating asteroids and is not doing the basic searches that Congress has ordered, according to a report released on Friday.

While most of the really big and obvious threats are being found, almost nothing is being done to find the smaller objects that are arguably a more likely threat, the strongly worded report from the National Academy of Sciences said.

"It means we are not looking for the small ones which can cause huge damage on earth," astronomer Mike A'Hearn of the University of Maryland, who helped chair the committee that wrote the report, said in a telephone interview.

"Why has nothing been done? I don't know," added A'Hearn, who was principal investigator of Nasa's 2005 Deep Impact mission to knock open the comet 9P/Tempel.

He said it was not clear whether the administration of President Barack Obama, who has declared his support for science but is struggling with an economic downturn and budget deficits, would work any harder to do more.

The US spends about $4m a year looking for near-Earth objects, or NEOs, that might come too close. In 2005, Congress ordered a broader survey to find 90% of near-Earth objects 140m in diameter or greater.

Something this big could cause enormous regional damage.

But Congress has not funded this search and neither former President George W Bush nor Obama have asked for it.

A'Hearn's committee made several recommendations.

"They are all expensive compared to what we are spending now. Compared to other things the country is spending money on they aren't expensive," he said.

"The minimal sensible programme is probably two and a half times larger than the current programme," he added.

To simply do what Congress asked in 2005 would likely cost $4m, A'Hearn said.

Defensive measures

And less than $1m is being spent to study what could be done if it looked like something destructive was headed toward the Earth, the report found.

At the very least, civil defence measures should be planned, A'Hearn said. "For an object up to 50 to 75m, civil defence is the right answer. You simply evacuate the area where it going to hit," he said - although he noted how difficult it is to evacuate areas where hurricanes are bearing down.

An object that size would create the equivalent of a nuclear explosion in the sky, blowing down trees, buildings and killing animals and people underneath it.

Larger, more dangerous comets or asteroids could be deflected or blown up, but it would take years of planning to do so. And no one has systematically looked at the diplomacy and politics that would be involved.

"It wouldn't be a dramatic change in defense department budget to develop the capability to destroy near-Earth objects. On the other hand, there may be other countries that might not trust us to do it right," A'Hearn said.

Or a programme could be interpreted as a weapons programme and a threat, so diplomacy would be needed to ensure international cooperation and acceptance, A'Hearn said.

A'Hearn said he was not sure if Obama's declared support of science would extend to this programme, or whether new space agency administrator Charlie Bolden would fight for it.

"The administration and the Nasa administrator say nice words about science but it takes a while to implement things," he said.

- Reuters
--A

Return to “Coercri”