Glorious Passing (Tracie, 1963-2010)

The place for fiction and poetry....

Moderators: deer of the dawn, Furls Fire

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Glorious Passing (Tracie, 1963-2010)

Post by Fist and Faith »

In Loving Memory of Tracie McKinney-Hammon (Furls Fire)

Born into this life October 10, 1963
Called home to Heaven January 2, 2010

Dear, sweet Tracie, mi alasharia la shantih, shantih.

Tracie, herself, set the format for this. For her, though, it seems ridiculously inadequate. Part of me wants to write a whole lot more than I have. Difficult to tell how long I could go on. But I don't want to make it too long for everyone to read, so I'll stop with what I have now.

What a loss the Watch has suffered. Nobody has been a bigger part of our lives here, and few have come close. The Watch and I will miss you forever. We would not be who and what we are if we had not known you, and we will not be the same without you.

As Don said, it's all cliches. Perhaps the most appropriate cliche is this:

And the glory of the world becomes less than it was.

But Tracie would strongly oppose this being about tears and sorrow and loss. (She'd also oppose me applying that quote to her. Tough luck, Tracie. I'm doing it anyway. It's appropriate, and that's that.) Fortunately, there is so much beauty to celebrate.

Tracie's work fighting against AIDS is the stuff of legend. Working to help spread information about the disease, through her work at World AIDS Days, for example, is just a part of it. What she's done in the personal realm is beyond that. Adopting AIDS babies from South Africa; helping others adopt more; adopting the children of a woman she knew who died from AIDS; bringing Isaiah and Alex to her home - to their home - so they could end their lives the way everybody's lives are supposed to be all along...

Of course, it was never enough for her, eh? She was so sad about Alex. So sad and frustrated that she couldn't have gotten to him sooner. I had to explain things to her. Tracie and Russ met in the second grade. She has been with the love of her life, basically, her entire life! And she was supported by families - both the one she was born into, and the one she gave birth to - quite unlike most of us have known. She had a charmed life! If quality is more important than quantity, nobody ever had a better life than Tracie.

Odd as it seems, these things made her ignorant. Tracie didn't know what loneliness felt like. Isn't that amazing??? Tracie was loved, in every way a human can be loved, every day of her life! This means she didn't know the fullness of what she did for Alex and Isaiah. She never felt the pains they felt. She read about it, and saw it in movies, but she didn't know what it was. She never went through the pain and rage that many of us have felt all too often. I certainly never felt all the pains Isaiah and Alex felt, neither physical nor emotional, but I understand things Tracie couldn't. I told her what it was like for them when she found them. I told her what happens when love comes into a life that didn't have it. Something she didn't know anything about. The rage, the despair, the ache that threatens to rip your chest open... They simply vanish. They're gone, just like that. And when they're gone, they never existed! Sure, I can remember such things. I can talk about them on an intellectual level. But they are no part of my life. And the wider and deeper pains of Alex and Isaiah were erased from existence by Tracie. Their hearts and minds were smiling and laughing and crying in joy. That's how they met their deaths. In the best possible state a person can. Going out of this world on the best possible terms.

Because of Tracie.

She saved their lives. They could have lived their lives, right up to the very moment they ended, knowing it should have been more than it was. Cursing the joys anyone else felt. The joys they were entitled to, but denied. Their last moment of conscious thought could well have been bitter, hateful tears. But they weren't. The last thoughts of their lives were of love, and family. They died in the way all people should.

Because of Tracie.

And there's the Watch's Tracie. Furls Fire joined eight months after I did. So I've known her almost six and a half years. It's not possible to think of the Watch without thinking of her. Our long-running debate about Kevin and Mhoram, alone, took up countless hours of my time! But, with everyone else, we explored everything about Covenant that can be explored. What a joy for all of us to be able to talk about it with someone who loved it as much as we all do, and who's put so much thought into it all. Tracie's mind was a delight! (Maybe a bit stubborn, though... :mrgreen: :lol:)

And early on (I didn't realize it was barely a month after she joined that I talked her into it.) she posted a story she wrote: The Creed. It's been years now since I read it, so, in ways, it'll be like new to read it again. But I know I was very impressed with her ideas, and her style.

It is, of course, impossible to write about Tracie without writing about her faith. To not do so would only show that the writer barely knew her at all. Tracie's faith was beyond anybody's I've ever known. Actually, she never revealed all of her thoughts and experiences. In the last couple weeks she was telling more than ever. But she knew she was unique, and didn't want everybody to think she was schizo. (Her word.) Just days ago, I said:
Worst case scenario is you're someone with many different personalities, several of which have mental and emotional problems. But I love the one named Tracie! :D

Actually, it's kind of amusing that she and I got along so well. We couldn't be farther apart in faith. Hers was absolute. Pure. It was every fiber of her being. I, on the other hand, have none. Literally none. But the things we agreed on were more important than the things we saw differently. And we didn't care about the differences. I couldn't base my beliefs on her experiences. Nor did I ever, just because I never had any experiences like hers, assume they were not just as she described them. But I didn't care either way. Her path gave her a view of life that I thought was glorious. She seemed to think much the same about me.

Not that I could ever hold a candle to her. She was a crusader. She tried to make her view a reality for the world. Jesus told her to go out there and save the world. And she did it! She saved lives. And every life she saved is a world! An entire universe! Tracie, you did more than anyone I know. You did yourself proud! Your family smiles, and says, "That's my Mom." "That's my wife." And nobody was ever prouder to say those things, or had better reason to be.

Tracie, you've been one of the best friends I ever had. I love you.

TRACIE, HAIL!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

...so say we all:

HAIL!
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

*bows deeply to all that Tracie was and is...and to Fist for this heartfelt tribute*
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Nothing I can think of is adequate to respond to that.

I concur with the others, So Say We All.

Hail, Tracie!
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Few interactions have caused me to wonder about my own lack of faith as those with her. That in itself is inspiring.

So Say We All.

Hail, Tracie!
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Like so many other names and avatar's on Kevin's Watch I'd got used to seeing Furl's Fire. Although I never knew her I was saddened to hear of her passing.

Maybe it's because of the distance I have with Tracie, her family and her friends, that I can feel the spark of happiness at the centre of the saddness.

Thanks Fist and Faith for giving us a glimpse of the real Furl's Fire.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ah Furls...
Kahlil Gibran wrote:Then Almitra spoke, saying, "We would ask now of Death."

And he said:

You would know the secret of death.

But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life?

The owl whose night-bound eyes are blind unto the day cannot unveil the mystery of light.

If you would indeed behold the spirit of death, open your heart wide unto the body of life.

For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.

In the depth of your hopes and desires lies your silent knowledge of the beyond;

And like seeds dreaming beneath the snow your heart dreams of spring.

Trust the dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity.

Your fear of death is but the trembling of the shepherd when he stands before the king whose hand is to be laid upon him in honour.

Is the shepherd not joyful beneath his trembling, that he shall wear the mark of the king?

Yet is he not more mindful of his trembling?

For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?

And what is to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?

Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.

And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.

And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.
I know that how I feel right now is about me, the rest of us Watchers, and your family. You're fine, wherever you are, and if you could see us, you'd be sorry for us. It helps a little.

I think Fist has said all the important things as well as they can be said. You're one of the best people I've ever known. And to this atheist at least, you exemplified the best of everything Christianity could (and should) be.

I seem to be short of words today. So I'll finish the way I started...with those of other people:
Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote:Success.

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by
a healthy child, a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed
easier because you have lived;

This is to have succeeded.
Richard Bach wrote:Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't.
Rest in peace Furls Fire. Your work is done. Now it's up to the rest of us. We'll be fine. But we'll miss you.

Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

It's fitting that Fist would begin this tribute thread... we all saw the very special bond between you and Furls.

I just reread the 'Some of my Brother's writings' thread and realized the things that were said back then about Stephen are as valid now about Tracie... She touched lives like no other I know.

HAIL!!
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

It takes a very special and unique individual to turn the hearts of so many without having met any, in the physical sense.

To touch so many lives in such a loving way is something I find quite astounding. I have only had very few conversations with this amazing woman but the lovingly positive energy she projected through her words always stayed with me.

I know this sadness that I feel now at her passing will be but a fleeting moment compared to the loving memories of her that will remain with me for the rest of my life.

Thank you Furls for touching our lives. We love you and will never forget you.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

That's a great tribute, Fist. I can almost hear Furlsy protesting. ;)
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Savor Dam wrote:Nothing I can think of is adequate to respond to that.

I concur with the others, So Say We All.

Hail, Tracie!
So Say We All!!!

HAIL !!!
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Reading Fist and Faith's excellent tribute (and outpouring of love), I consider how (not for the first time) Tracie's life and deeds have made me feel that I have wasted opportunities to make friendships, have lived my life selfishly, and am rather small.

These are good things. Very good things. I thank Tracie with all my heart for these deserved regrets. Someday, I might better myself.

Hail, Tracie.

So say we all.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I can't add much that hasn't all ready been said, except to repeat, as many have said, that though I never met her, the love displayed by Tracie's actions has been a clear beacon to help show me how to be a better person.

Hail, Tracie!

So say we all.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Fist -- what an amazing tribute to an amazing woman.

Tracie, HAIL! So say we all!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

very moving tribute fist - you & furls & sky were some of the first people I met here at KW.
I had many interesting & fun chats with furls back when....
A person of more faith would be hard to find - God bless Tracie, may she rest in peace now and God bless her family in this sad & difficult time
Earthy :cry:
"You're afraid of yourself."
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

So say we all.
Something there is in beauty
which grows in the soul of the beholder
like a flower:
fragile --
for many are the blights
which may waste
the beauty
or the beholder --
and imperishable --
for the beauty may die,
or the beholder may die,
or the world may die,
but the soul in which the flower grows survives.
And kudos to you, Fist, for a most fitting tribute.
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

Fisty |G |G |G |G |G

Thank you.

This belongs here:

Benediction

Sweet sister; mother; Savior
Of so many, hear this song
Sweeter than the wind, reaching
So bright the sun retires, jealous

You mingle in the water, rock
And leaf; your song flows
Between all points, so fragile
It shakes the earth

Halls your Father has prepared
Names and faces reside, outlines
Of rivers, trees; sun bends down
On hills beyond shape or describe
On a palace of winds, so warm
Hold his Hand, sweet Sister
Burn in love beyond the word Love--David Williams (Lord Foul)
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

She and Uncle Steve, Uncle Isaiah and Alex came to see us this morning...

We can hear her singing, we can feel her near us.

Mom, you are now the Angel you were always meant to be!

We love you!

I miss you so much...
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Fire Daughter wrote:Image

She and Uncle Steve, Uncle Isaiah and Alex came to see us this morning...

We can hear her singing, we can feel her near us.

Mom, you are now the Angel you were always meant to be!

We love you!

I miss you so much...
|G
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

I hope it is not seen as disrespectful to post this prayer that I will say for Furls (Tracie), and include in my regular prayer list - she was Christian, and I believe she will appreciate it.
O God of spirits and of all flesh, Who hast trampled down death and overthrown the Devil, and given life to Thy world, do Thou, the same Lord, give rest to the soul of Thy departed servant Tracie, in a place of brightness, a place of refreshment, a place of repose, where all sickness, sighing, and sorrow have fled away. Pardon every transgression which she has committed, whether by word or deed or thought. For Thou art a good God and lovest mankind; because there is no man who lives yet does not sin, for Thou only art without sin, Thy righteousness is to all eternity, and Thy word is truth.

For Thou art the Resurrection, the Life, and the Repose of Thy servants who have fallen asleep, O Christ our God, and unto Thee we ascribe glory, together with Thy Father, who is from everlasting, and Thine all-holy, good, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever unto ages of ages. Amen.
And yes, the glory of the world is become less than it was. The loss is ours. I knew her only as a kind and thoughtful poster, and that she was far more charitable than I.

Lord, have mercy!
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton

Return to “The Hall of Gifts”