Question

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

The Halfhand Glove Seller
Servant of the Land

Question

Post by The Halfhand Glove Seller »

You can see my full post here: kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=753139#753139 but the gist of it is basically, do you think Thomas has a photographic memory? I can't remember what I did yesterday, let alone deliver a message to the Lords.
hpty603
Woodhelvennin

Post by hpty603 »

Well, with something that traumatic, I think you'd remember it. Or at the very least, the gist of it.

Linden should have quailed. His certainty was as bitter as the touch of a Raver: it should have defeated her. But it did not. How often had she heard Lord Foul or his servants prophesy destruction, attempting to impose despair? And how often had Thomas Covenant shown her that it was possible to stand upright under the weight of utter hopelessness?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Does being an author help with something like that?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Kalkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Kalkin »

But Foul's message had a power of compulsion. He had borne it like a wound in his mind too long to repudiate it now.
Before he could muster any defense, it came over him like a convulsion. In a tone of irremediable contempt, he said, "These
are the words of Lord Foul the Despiser. ~ Lord Foul's Bane
I don't think it was a matter of Covenant's memory. Foul wanted that message delivered, word-for-word, so he made it so Covenant would deliver it correctly.
"How do you say 'we're screwed' in your native tongue?" ~ John Crichton

And on the Eighth Day God created Whiskey so that the Irish would not rule the Earth
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

I concur, LF would have made the message imprit on TC's mind so as to ensure that the message was delivered as long as TC survived and reached Revelstone, which he did.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
The Halfhand Glove Seller
Servant of the Land

Post by The Halfhand Glove Seller »

Kalkin wrote:
But Foul's message had a power of compulsion. He had borne it like a wound in his mind too long to repudiate it now.
Before he could muster any defense, it came over him like a convulsion. In a tone of irremediable contempt, he said, "These
are the words of Lord Foul the Despiser. ~ Lord Foul's Bane
I don't think it was a matter of Covenant's memory. Foul wanted that message delivered, word-for-word, so he made it so Covenant would deliver it correctly.
Fair point. Not having a good memory myself, I'd forgotten that particular passage!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In [u]Lord Foul's Bane[/u] was wrote:But Foul's message had a power of compulsion. He had borne it like a wound in his mind too long to repudiate it now. Before he could muster any defense, it came over him like a convulsion. In a tone of irremediable contempt, he said, "These are the words of Lord Foul the Despiser.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”