Archive From The 'Tank
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I've decided to take Dan's advice and move this discussion to the Tank. If anyone wants to read the posts which led up to this discussion, it began in the movie forum (or if any mod wants to move those posts here, that would be great).
Exnihilo2 wrote:A more genuine way of being human would not involve the destruction of both humanity and the earth via the aforementioned industrial daemons. That is not to say that technology should be scrapped per se; merely that mankind needs to hold itself accountable for the consequences of its choices, instead of pretending that there are no consequences.

I agree that we shouldn’t pretend that there are no consequences. But how are we supposed to hold ourselves accountable? Should people go to jail? Should people adopt earth religions? Should people advocate technologies that are not profitable (and will have minimal effect on global temperature)? It seems that the political solution always involves wealth redistribution of some sort.
Exnihilo2 wrote:A ship is an isolated container of the civilization that generates it, so that it may easily be said to represent that culture. In this particular case, Titanic the “unsinkable ship” was supposed to represent the technological and cultural zenith of Western Civilization; that it foundered on an unseen catastrophe (almost like a floating Tower of Babel) has always been seen as an apt metaphor (or even prophecy) for the collision of Western Civilization with the unseen catastrophe of World War I. In ways which are too numerous to mention, that war was a shattering event for Western Civilization, in that many of the cultural pillars of that society were demolished as much as was the physical landscape of Europe. A good exposition of this can be found in the book Verdun: The Death of Glory. Much of the optimism and faith in progress that existed in Europe were permanently lost, and in a sense Western Civilization has been little more than a foundering hulk adrift on nihilistic seas ever since.
I understand that there are cynical and nihilistic people, and that they latch onto Titanic as a metaphor to exemplify their cynicism about Western Civilization. But as such it is an ironic and disingenuous metaphor. Rather than being a critique of West. Civ., it serves instead as a symbol of the sinking hopes of people who are still to this day reaping the benefits of a society that they perpetually imagine to be sinking. You are correct to point out the parallel to the Tower of Babel myth, which is an even more nonsensical techno-hubris metaphor. Diversity of language isn’t a curse. It didn’t stop us from building ever higher structures. The fear of Heavenly judgment for aspiring to great heights—or crossing great depths—is characteristic of a certain type of person: pessimistic, cynical, nihilistic. It is not our endeavors or our society which are nihilistic, it is the people who are easily discouraged and prone to see failure despite millions of counter-examples of success (i.e. all the literal buildings and ships we’ve built since). If this one building and this one ship can be metaphors for some people, then the millions of other buildings/ships can be metaphors for everyone else. Going by sheer numbers, rather than symbolic scariness, I think the latter group has the most accurate metaphors. Bad news always gets the biggest headlines, but this doesn’t mean the headlines are an accurate picture of reality.
Exnihilo2 wrote:We are living in a climactic epoch that is considered unusually mild and stable. Prior to 1830 there was a long period of climactic instability stretching back to the Black Death that led to many periods of famine and pestilence and what can only be called “de-civilization.” There are also other periods of widespread catastrophe that are known both historically and archaeologically such as that which ended the Minoan civilization and severely affected Egypt and the Near East at the same time. And going back 250MYA, the Permian mass-extinction is generally understood as one of the most complete in the history of life on earth, and was triggered by a shift in earth’s temperature of about 10 degrees Celsius over thousands of years. I think prolonged comfort has brought a failure of imagination about the potential for catastrophe and our vulnerability to it. For instance, you may not be aware that thanks to our industrial efficiency there is currently 3 days of food on store shelves and in transit at any one time. Anything (such as a pandemic or broad natural disaster) that interrupted the chain of production and distribution for longer than that could lead to a complete collapse of the socioeconomic system. Elements of our civilization would no doubt continue, but to say that our civilization would survive is like saying that Minoan civilization or Roman civilization has survived to the present day. From the point of view of those societies, those social orders were destroyed.
While it’s true that many great civilizations have ended, and our own dependency upon technology makes us vulnerable, it is also true that the alternative lifestyle has suffered far more (though not as noticeable) defeats. Civilizations suffer setbacks, and yet we have more civilization than ever. Meanwhile, tribal, nomadic, primitive lifestyles have shown no corresponding resilience, for their numbers continually dwindle (even while humanity’s population has exploded). Clearly, one type of human lifestyle has succeeded over the other, despite the string catastrophes and setbacks. The failures and setbacks of civilization may look more dramatic to us—and they do make bigger headlines--but this is only because headlines are things that civilizations create. There are relatively fewer survivors around to mourn the loss of all the individual primitive cultures that have failed in less dramatic ways. So despite our amazing success, we are left with an impression of failure because, ironically, human culture has survived with enough continuity to repeat these tales of disaster in the form of convenient, simplistic metaphors. It’s as if the Titanic is itself delivering the newspapers which carry the headline of its own sinking.

Far from a failure of imagination for the scope of catastrophe, I’m acutely aware of it. No earth-bound culture will survive in the end. No amount of conservation or earth-worship or holding ourselves accountable will prevent the extinction of humankind. The only thing that will preserve us beyond the fate of our planet is an acceleration of technology and a colonization of the galaxy. Thus, it is not merely ironic to worry about technology as the problem of human survival, it is a self-destructive fear that will lead to our extinction. We have to overcome the earth if we want to survive. Worrying about global warming and driving hybrid cars really is polishing the brass on the Titanic. The earth is a sinking ship, no matter how shiny we make it. We need more lifeboats, not fewer ships.

The Titanic is a better metaphor for nature, than for civilization. For all their heart-warming naivete, the Na’vi could not stop a comet from hitting their planet. Hopefully, we’ll soon be able to destroy one of these interplanetary icebergs. And if not, hopefully we’ll have spread beyond this single ship.
Exnihilo2 wrote:Actually I would take issue with the idea that alienation and cynicism are caused by naivete. Instead I would posit that they are separate but related cultural developments that depend upon the fundamental structure of society. In the case of alienation, it is a consequence of the replacement of relatively sedentary rural societies with many degrees of relatedness experienced by individuals within the community. We are talking about the end of communities of real persons and their replacement by communities of abstract, isolated individuals and deconstructed nuclear families. Where once your neighbor was a family with a longstanding relationship to your family, so that they would probably treat your offspring with a desirable degree of protection and guidance if needed; now that same neighbor is unknown to you and presented to your children as an example of “stranger danger” to be avoided. Alienation is nothing more than feeling a) threatened by the average member of society and b) disconnected from them in terms of accountability (in either direction). When we are all strangers, no one will step up and say “that is wrong,” they will simply obey the herd.

I think we idealize the “good old days” because we have the fortune of not having lived them. Anyone who thinks that rural life was sedentary has never worked on a farm. Backbreaking labor from dawn to dusk doesn’t allow for this wonderful interpersonal relationships that you might imagine it produces. I grew up in the woods, performing survival tasks with my family and neighbors (cutting down trees for firewood, collecting water from the spring, hunting, farming, building shelter, raising livestock, etc.). My family is now split up, and I have no relationship with those neighbors. Sure, this is anecdotal evidence. But I think the evidence for the opposite conclusion is even flimsier. It is an idealization like the “noble savage.” Many people of primitive cultures lived degrading, arduous lives of back breaking labor (often slave labor), in which women and children were second-class “citizens,” and life was short, nasty, and painful.

If you do not know your neighbors, that’s your fault (or your choice, depending on how you look at it). I’m friends with the neighbors who are cool, and shun that neighbors who are assholes. Thankfully, in this society, I have that choice. I can form communities with like-minded individuals (like fans of SRD), instead of being forced into communities of people with whom I have little in common. Our relationships are no longer forced upon us by the necessity of survival tasks, but instead created by choice and common interests, whether it’s the Boy Scouts, Little League, church, fan clubs, advocacy groups, etc. Rather than alienation, our society provides us freedom from relationships of necessity, and allows us opportunity to shape our social lives according to our interests and passions. We’re not yoked to the same plow with people we don’t like. It’s ironic that you consider our current society as more conducive to “going along with the herd.” Never before in our history have people (especially those who feel like “misfits” or “outcasts”) been able to reach out beyond their neighborhoods to form niche groups with like-minded “misfits.” Gay people used to be stoned to death. Now we’re debating their right to marry. Black people used to be slaves, now one is running this society of “alienation.” Women used to be property, now we consider it a crisis if they make a few pennies on the dollar less than men. Clearly, there was greater alienation of whole races and an entire gender before our modern society produced the luxury that allowed people to view their (relatively) minor misfortunes as some sort of Fall from an agrarian Eden in the idealized past.

Though my life isn’t lollipops and rainbows, I wouldn’t characterize it as “alienated and cynical.” And I’d wager that despite the forced dependency upon people who happen to be living near them, many people in primitive societies still felt alienation and cynicism (when they weren’t worrying about the many dangers which gave them a 35 year life expectancy and killed most of their children before the age of 2).
Exnihilo2 wrote:Cynicism is founded on this protracted lack of accountability, in that the antisocial tendencies latent in any society are no longer impeded by the prevalence of personal accountability, and are instead allowed to accumulate for the advantages they give in the absence of social sanction. Ultimately the only cure is the cultivation of a more grounded form of social existence combined with the shared hope that social progress is possible.
I don’t understand this “lack of accountability.” Please explain. How are we not accountable? What kind of change in the fundamental structure of society are you suggesting would lead to greater accountability? What is “more grounded?” I already have hope that social progress is not only possible, but in fact actual. Do you feel otherwise?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I have not been in the Avatar thread, so I'm not sure if this was brought up. But the discussion between ex and zar about titanic (and its connotations about technology etc) reminded me of a point some show or commentator made about Avatar. Don't remember who, but she/he pointed out that in the movie, the "natural" world is represented by billions of dollars of CG using the human body as a starting point, while the invasive, artificial evil is represented by actual living breathing human beings. I'm sure the irony wasn't lost on Cameron himself, since the blue guys run around subjecting nature to their will during the middle part of the movie; I guess the ending scene (where the rest of the natural world comes to help them) is supposed to emphasize that something really is different here; their reverence for the world and what they take from it is reciprocated. To some extent I guess it could be quite moving, although I did not find it to be so.
I think we idealize the “good old days” because we have the fortune of not having lived them. Anyone who thinks that rural life was sedentary has never worked on a farm. Backbreaking labor from dawn to dusk doesn’t allow for this wonderful interpersonal relationships that you might imagine it produces. I grew up in the woods, performing survival tasks with my family and neighbors (cutting down trees for firewood, collecting water from the spring, hunting, farming, building shelter, raising livestock, etc.).
I agree with what you are trying to say. However, the word "sedentary" when used to refer to rural populations does not refer to a lack of activity. Rather, it is in opposition to the nomadic populations which preceded farmers, moving from place to place.

The word is so commonly linked with "rural" that I don't know if Ex fully realized either implication when he used it in his post - I've certainly used it unthinkingly in the past. And I do agree that the use of the word helps romanticize the rural lifetsyle. Of course, much of the romanticization of agriculture was done by landlord poets (Horace) rather than the day-laborer who might or might not own land of his own.
If you do not know your neighbors, that’s your fault (or your choice, depending on how you look at it). I’m friends with the neighbors who are cool, and shun that neighbors who are assholes. Thankfully, in this society, I have that choice. I can form communities with like-minded individuals (like fans of SRD), instead of being forced into communities of people with whom I have little in common. Our relationships are no longer forced upon us by the necessity of survival tasks, but instead created by choice and common interests, whether it’s the Boy Scouts, Little League, church, fan clubs, advocacy groups, etc. Rather than alienation, our society provides us freedom from relationships of necessity, and allows us opportunity to shape our social lives according to our interests and passions.
I agree that all these things are good. However, I am surprised you define a person's ability to separate themselves as they like, sometimes by things they were formerly closely attached to, as something different from alienation. I wouldn't run from the word just because it has negative connotations: the truth is, "alienation" isn't always the big bad it's cracked up to be.

A Marxist would make a lot out of the fact that career and occupational choices were never mentioned in your list of "choice". One argument of Marxism is that the wage system for what people do alienates people from their labor by forcing it to be a relationship of necessity. Even if you could go and do something else, it's unlikely after years in a particular field that

I think it's a somewhat simplistic argument. I haven't held a long-term career, but I've worked for money and still delighted in the work (and I've done unpaid overtime because money isn't all there is to it). But it is interesting that you skirted careers in your discussion of how free we are from necessary relationships. Putting up with bosses, workload, etc etc is probably the most frequent situation where people "have to do" things they don't "want to do" (in quotes because they're making their choices).

Also, regardless of whether it's as good as it can reasonably get or not, a 20% gap in wages isn't as trivial as you seemed to imply it was. At the same time, it is trivial compared to what was before it, so I'm alright with your overall point.

(It is still something like 83 cents to the dollar, right?)
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Holsety, good points. I did skip over the Marxist meaning of "alienation," but I thought that was approrpiate given that Ex2 seemed to be talking about community structures rather than the laborer being alienated from the product of his labor. I could respond that any of us can try to be an artist or an artisan, selling our wares directly to the people, rather than selling our time for a wage. And Marx could respond, "everyone? Really? That's unrealistic." And then I'd respond, "well, it's unrealistic to suppose that everyone in pre-industrial societies benefitted directly from their own labor," as you have pointed out that not every laborer was a landowner working his own land. The Marxist critique doesn't address the fact that there was a lot more slavery in pre-industrial world than there is today.

While it's true that we (usually) have to get a job to survive, I think you have already made the relevant point that more choice is involved in this situation than the alternative of being a farmer or nomad.

And you also covered yourself on the 83 cents issue. Of course it's a lot better than women being property owned by men. I didn't mean to imply that it's an ideal situation. However, I believe it has more to do with the fact that men are more aggressive about seeking promotions, working in hazardous conditions, working longer hours, sacrificing family, and not getting themselves pregnant. If women really made 17 cent less on the dollar for purely sexist reasons, then corporations would be fools for ever hiring men. They could consistently out-compete their competitors by hiring 100% women, and saving on these labor costs. Obviously, the situation is not that simple in the real world. Lost productivity has to be taken into account. It's not a myth that women get pregnant, or even choose to become full-time moms after a company has invested 100s of 1000s of dollars in them. There is less risk with male employees, hence the higher pay. Is this fair? I'll let you be the judge.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

8O 8O My God...it's full of stars... 8O 8O

:lol: I'll come back when I've found the cliffnotes version of this discussion :lol:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Whew! I did it (and boy am I thirsty! :P ) Well worth the time to read the previous posts, very informative. I just have a couple comments:

Holsety made some excellent points, which I shall interpret as thus: The human experience does not change (fundamentally, anyway). That's the danger in romanticizing anything, it ignores that everyone, be they the savage or the farmer, faced and had to deal with the same principle problems we do... sometimes they succeeded, a lot of times they "failed", just like we do. As Z pointed out, this romanticizing is either the product of not really having lived the thing romanticized, or I would say, even lived it as a child, and, as a result, have a skewed (innocent) view of what was really going on in the world at the time.

As far as Permian mass-extinction... the increase in temperature is only part of the story, and not really the part the caused the most damage. Many theories abound, to a super-volcano that caused a chain reaction resulting in 90 % of the oxygen on earth being burnt away, to accumulations of toxic hydrogen sulfate gases. I think they may have even found evidence of an asteroid impact...

Anyway, the point is that increased temperatures do not necessarily kill things off... in fact, they really can't be used to indicate if something is going wrong (on the level of extinction, anyway). Z's right, if humanity is to survive, it must traverse the stars... and even then, it's doubtful that humanity can stave off extinction forever.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

posted by Mike Ryan - Thu Feb 11 2010, 1:56 AM PST 2874 comments
Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com

The movie studio that produced the mega-blockbuster, "Avatar," had no problem with the film's alien race being blue -- but it turns out they were initially concerned about the Na'vi being too green.

According to director James Cameron, 20th Century Fox had some initial apprehension that his $2 billion-dollar-baby delivered the wrong kind of message -- the message of environmental conservation.

Cameron recollects the studio's warning as being: "We really like the story. It's great. But, well, is there a way to not have so much of this tree-hugging, 'Ferngully' stuff in it?"

The famously exacting director wasn't going give up on the central point of the "Avatar" story. "I said, 'Not with me making it,'" Cameron said. "Because that was my purpose in making the film. I wanted to make an environmentally conscious mainstream movie."

"FernGully: The Last Rainforest" was a 1992 animated film -- also released by 20th Century Fox -- featuring the voice of Tim Curry as the villain who gains his power from pollution.

Instead of backing down, Cameron reveled in the environmental themes leading up to the climatic conclusion of "Avatar". "I think there's something amazingly satisfying when the hammerheads come out of the forest and start mowing down all the bad security enforcers. Nature gets to fight back," he said. "It's 'Death Wish' for environmentalists. When did nature ever get to fight back in a movie?"

Cameron concedes that 20th Century Fox wouldn't have been the only studio with concerns: "To be fair…any of the other studios would have said the same thing. Fox ended up being enormously supportive and wrote this huge check. But they would have been much more comfortable if I had eliminated what they called the 'tree-hugging' elements."

James Cameron's environmental concerns can be attributed to being a parent of three young children and the fact he would like them to have a world to grow up in: "I think there's a way to live and raise your kids with a set of values that teaches them the importance of hard work, the importance of respecting other people and the importance of respecting nature. And that it's not this consumer society where you buy something and then throw it away when you get the next new thing, filling up huge landfills with plastic and electronics."

Cameron's environmentally friendly message has not, as the studio was initially concerned, negatively affected box-office receipts. "Avatar" has so far grossed over $2.2 billion worldwide – which is well over a billion ahead of the ticket sales for its closest Best Picture Oscar rival, "The Hurt Locker." That film (which also has an arguably controversial message in its coverage of soldiers in Iraq) was directed by his former wife, Kathryn Bigelow, and has only taken in $12.6 million in domestic box-office sales.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

The Hurt Locker has only taken in $12.6 Million domestically, but, nearly a billion dollars worldwide? (I assume that's what they're saying since Avatar has taken 2.2 Billion worldwide, which is well over 1 BIllion more than Hurt Locker, and Hurt Locker is Avatar's closest rival.)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I don't have much to add to this discussion, but this is an informational article for those interested:

Don’t mention Avatar:Tinseltown plot sparks global public relations nightmare

FYI, the Financial Post is part of the National Post, considered Canada's more conservative national newspaper.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Where was that Pocahontas treatment posted, with the names changed to the Avatar characters? That was brilliant.

--A
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

A lot of different topics... all at the same time....not sure if focusing on one of them will end up with me being a bit off topic as a result of not covering the others...

First, I'd like to point to my quote from a French Historian that I think is a good description of humanity's inevitable but asymetrical progress. I think that humanity has progressed in more areas than it has regressed, be it in terms of technology, harnessing our environment, and improving the average person's quality of life.

Societal symptoms that we bear witness to are not I think a direct consequence of mankind becoming more primitive or more evil or more 'inorganic'. We're probably still wrestling with the industrial revolution which on one hand makes us more efficient (for my understatement of the year) but on the other hand might give us the impression of being more interchangeable and less individual (which can be argued to be an irrational impression, but I don't think it's an unnatural impression).

I think a lot of contemporary thinking/feeling starts with several false premises such as:

-If someone else has more, then I do not have enough.

-If someone is stronger, it is inherent that they abuse that strength rather than do any good with it.

-If 'I' am miserable, it's only fair that everyone else is, in fact it's unfair if I alone should suffer.

-The individual is the property of the collective.

...and I think it is the starting from such premises that leads to a person not being satisfied with the current state of humanity moreso than the actual qualitative nature of our present existences. That is to say, I think we convince ourselves that we should be disappointed, and miraculously find ourselves disappointed. If on a whole, humanity was a little bit more intellectually flexible, they'd be a little more able to be greatful for those things that we do have. (I always consider that the appendicitis I had a few years back was not fatal only because I live in the present, and not in the past for example).
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol

Post by Avatar »

Tjol wrote:-The individual is the property of the collective.
That's horrifying. :lol: Does anybody actually think that?

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Tjol wrote:...and I think it is the starting from such premises that leads to a person not being satisfied with the current state of humanity moreso than the actual qualitative nature of our present existences. That is to say, I think we convince ourselves that we should be disappointed, and miraculously find ourselves disappointed. If on a whole, humanity was a little bit more intellectually flexible, they'd be a little more able to be greatful for those things that we do have. (I always consider that the appendicitis I had a few years back was not fatal only because I live in the present, and not in the past for example).
Well done. Beautiful. This is one of my most passionate beliefs, that we're living in the Golden Age of Humanity (especially those of us lucky enough to be born in a free Western country). False premises lead to false expectations, sure. But it is also a lack of historical perspective. I think that if any of our forefathers from 500 years ago could hear us whine about *anything* in our cushy, luxurious, 79-year lifespans, they'd give us a swift kick in the ass for being so ungrateful. Compared to their lives, we're all living like kings. The fact that it's not enough for some people to have this unprecedented opportunity to live in 21st century America (for example . . . there are lots of other great places, too), and they want the government to force their neighbors to give them more of what they have earned, just makes my heart weep for the poverty of their souls. I don't see how such a sense of entitlement and ungrateful blindness ever takes hold in a population so "blessed" as ours. But the premises you provided are a good guess. I'm sure that's a contributing factor.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Tjol wrote: I think a lot of contemporary thinking/feeling starts with several false premises such as:

-If someone is stronger, it is inherent that they abuse that strength rather than do any good with it.

-If 'I' am miserable, it's only fair that everyone else is, in fact it's unfair if I alone should suffer.

...and I think it is the starting from such premises that leads to a person not being satisfied with the current state of humanity moreso than the actual qualitative nature of our present existences. That is to say, I think we convince ourselves that we should be disappointed, and miraculously find ourselves disappointed. If on a whole, humanity was a little bit more intellectually flexible, they'd be a little more able to be greatful for those things that we do have. (I always consider that the appendicitis I had a few years back was not fatal only because I live in the present, and not in the past for example).
Except for one of the premises, they have other causes/connections:
The "I don't have enough" is based on the rampant and socially/politically/economically enforced, and completely false equation that having things=happiness/success/self and social "worth."
The mistrust of strength is based on the actual fact that people with strength do, in fact, abuse it...and even if they didn't hierarchical power structures by definition create inequality. This might not be so much a problem if ones boss at work, for instance, held his superior power only in the work place, but that is not the case: the power bleeds over into other aspects of ones life.
I don't think most people want to spread the misery so much as they want comfort, or at least recognition and understanding...but because of what I said about not having enough they can only seek it in materials, owning things.

I don't know anybody who really thinks that individuals are the property of the collective. I do know a lot of people [and I'm one myself] that believe the individual is the product of the collective. In this sense they "owe" something to the collective...but by no means everything. And most of what they owe isn't cash/wealth, it is [positively] respect, and [negatively] refusal to violate others humanity and rights.
--as an aside, I don't mean being products=predetermination. People are fundamentally complex and non-linear. Everyone has the potential to leap beyond background...most don't, but if we could figure out how to teach people to do this, we'd all be better off.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Vraith wrote:
Tjol wrote: I think a lot of contemporary thinking/feeling starts with several false premises such as:

Except for one of the premises, they have other causes/connections:
The "I don't have enough" is based on the rampant and socially/politically/economically enforced, and completely false equation that having things=happiness/success/self and social "worth."

The mistrust of strength is based on the actual fact that people with strength do, in fact, abuse it...and even if they didn't hierarchical power structures by definition create inequality.

But inequality is not inherently unjust. We've just adopted the premise that there's something wrong with inequality, when the natural laws of the universe we exist in provide for inequality by default. I have green eyes, others have brown eyes, others have blue eyes. Are we equally blessed in the color of our irises? Does it matter that we aren't? Is it unjust that everyone not have green eyes? But the universe we exist in provides us unequally, does it mean that we can't all be happy with our lives, even if we don't have the same lives?
This might not be so much a problem if ones boss at work, for instance, held his superior power only in the work place, but that is not the case: the power bleeds over into other aspects of ones life.
I disagree. The power ends and begins where we allow it. Yes the boss decides what you'll be paid, but so do you. You know of people who have switched employers in order to affect a raise that they didn't think they could get with their present employer, right?

The average person is not entirely without resources. We may be limited in resources, we may have less than someone else, but we are not inert before anyone who has more than we do. Look at California here, where the 'bosses' are so dependent on the political support of state workers that they can't get state worker's pensions under control even to save the state budget from collapse. They're cutting back on ambulances, firetrucks, releasing criminals into public first before they dare touch those pensions. How powerful are the 'bosses' then?
I don't think most people want to spread the misery so much as they want comfort, or at least recognition and understanding...but because of what I said about not having enough they can only seek it in materials, owning things.
Then why is class warfare such a succesful political ploy? Why is it that we argue to increase taxes on the wealthy moreso than we argue to reduce the tax burden on the lower and middle classes? We do seek company in our misery before we seek out our own comfort as a general rule. We in general seek to punish the rich moreso than we seek to provide more opportunities for lower and middle class persons to become wealthy.
I don't know anybody who really thinks that individuals are the property of the collective. I do know a lot of people [and I'm one myself] that believe the individual is the product of the collective. In this sense they "owe" something to the collective...but by no means everything.
Any discussion of taxes will reveal that many people do operate from the premise that the individual is the property of the collective. Some people soley want to find funding for a social program they imagine will fix everything; but there is always someone who says that the individual owes the collective anything the collective deems necessary...that the rich can afford it so they should pay it.
And most of what they owe isn't cash/wealth, it is [positively] respect, and [negatively] refusal to violate others humanity and rights.
--as an aside, I don't mean being products=predetermination. People are fundamentally complex and non-linear. Everyone has the potential to leap beyond background...most don't, but if we could figure out how to teach people to do this, we'd all be better off.
One of the ways individuals differ (another inherent inequality) from one another is their willingness to change or adapt. An individual can take the luxury only once of blaming their present location entirely on outside circumstances, from that point forward, not recognising the role of one's choices and actions in the destinations they arrive at in life, they can only blame themselves in my opinion for where they end up.

Mutual initial respect among unequal persons is certianly something that all people should embrace. My impression is though, that we have more disrepect for people who have done better than us than we do for those who have done worse I think. Envy is more widespread than delusions of superiority.
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Zarathustra wrote:
Tjol wrote:...and I think it is the starting from such premises that leads to a person not being satisfied with the current state of humanity moreso than the actual qualitative nature of our present existences. That is to say, I think we convince ourselves that we should be disappointed, and miraculously find ourselves disappointed. If on a whole, humanity was a little bit more intellectually flexible, they'd be a little more able to be greatful for those things that we do have. (I always consider that the appendicitis I had a few years back was not fatal only because I live in the present, and not in the past for example).
Well done. Beautiful. This is one of my most passionate beliefs, that we're living in the Golden Age of Humanity (especially those of us lucky enough to be born in a free Western country). False premises lead to false expectations, sure. But it is also a lack of historical perspective. I think that if any of our forefathers from 500 years ago could hear us whine about *anything* in our cushy, luxurious, 79-year lifespans, they'd give us a swift kick in the ass for being so ungrateful. Compared to their lives, we're all living like kings. The fact that it's not enough for some people to have this unprecedented opportunity to live in 21st century America (for example . . . there are lots of other great places, too), and they want the government to force their neighbors to give them more of what they have earned, just makes my heart weep for the poverty of their souls. I don't see how such a sense of entitlement and ungrateful blindness ever takes hold in a population so "blessed" as ours. But the premises you provided are a good guess. I'm sure that's a contributing factor.
I agree, historical perspective is also important, the kind of things that people went through in previous generations, that they simply took in stride are amazing. One of the revelations of all my reading in history is to have a baseline of experience to compare to, a baseline of experience that wasn't drawn based on some celebrity magazine story or a tv commercial, but based on the experiences of all those humans who came before that managed to find their lives recorded on paper.

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Tjol, I should probably reply in detail, but I'm going to take the easy way out, and be brief.
Inequality of ability/circumstances, yes of course. But that doesn't justify inequality of rights or humanity.
You make several good points, some I agree with, some I would debate, but in general, I'd say my view is that you overestimate the real, practicable choices of individuals, and underestimate the role of power and the indoctrination of things=good/happy.
There are obvious and serious problems with taxes and social programs, and probably people who work the system...but people have been and are forced into powerless situations, where the only way they can effectively act is through gov't.
When you say we're better off than ever before, that's true for the majority...but it would not be true without gov't involvement. It's gotten out of hand, but there is proof that we're not all whiny little bitches. 2 examples:
1) Before the current troubles, both productivity and hours worked had been rising almost continuously for many many years, even though real wages were not rising. Working harder for less. [might still be, don't have up to the minute stats]
2) Those kids who want everything given too them are working their own way through college in rising numbers every year [both in hours they work, and in percentage of students working while schooling].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Post by Avatar »

Zarathustra wrote:This is one of my most passionate beliefs, that we're living in the Golden Age of Humanity (especially those of us lucky enough to be born in a free Western country).
That doesn't make it a golden age of humanity though, does it? It would be a golden age if everybody on earth had the same opportunities and access to what they need as people living comfortably in a free "western" society. (And of course, plenty of people in those societies are not living comfortably.)

However, in general, I agree with the premise. Things are, on average, better than they have been in the past. Our task is to encourage the spread of that improvement so that we can indeed aspire to a golden age for all humanity.

--A
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Vraith wrote:Tjol, I should probably reply in detail, but I'm going to take the easy way out, and be brief.
Inequality of ability/circumstances, yes of course. But that doesn't justify inequality of rights or humanity.
You make several good points, some I agree with, some I would debate, but in general, I'd say my view is that you overestimate the real, practicable choices of individuals, and underestimate the role of power and the indoctrination of things=good/happy.
There are obvious and serious problems with taxes and social programs, and probably people who work the system...but people have been and are forced into powerless situations, where the only way they can effectively act is through gov't.
When you say we're better off than ever before, that's true for the majority...but it would not be true without gov't involvement. It's gotten out of hand, but there is proof that we're not all whiny little bitches. 2 examples:
1) Before the current troubles, both productivity and hours worked had been rising almost continuously for many many years, even though real wages were not rising. Working harder for less. [might still be, don't have up to the minute stats]
2) Those kids who want everything given too them are working their own way through college in rising numbers every year [both in hours they work, and in percentage of students working while schooling].
I think the expansion of government influence is the means by which the less powerful find themselves more repressed. I perceive things in inverse to the way you perceive them... I would change your perception if I could, but I'll settle for trying to explain why I see it inversely.

Consider ten persons in the middle of some arena being cheered to violence by the watching crowd. Are those ten people more in danger of each other when they are armed with pillows or when they are armed with swords? I prefer that the powerful only have pillows in their hands when and if they do decide to bring themselves against me, even if it only allows me a pillow with which to act out a little defiance. I think likewise government is a tool by which good or evil can be done, soley dependent on who is steering it, and given human nature, we cannot count on government always being in the hands of good people.

Now, on the other hand, you might say that the powerful are always armed with swords. If they already have one sword to strike you with, how does giving them a second sword (in the form of an oversized government) to swing at you with make anything any better? How does government change the equation between the powerful and the not as powerful? It can provide rules for both to play by equally, but it can't make the weak powerful or the powerful weak.

My impression is that if the powerful compete against each other, they won't have a lot of attention to spend on the not-so powerful, leaving the not-so powerful plenty of time to become powerful enough before they too join the competition. But government, especially when it gets sizeable, especially when it's got it's eyes on every individual, it does not leave the not-so powerful the opportunity to take advantage of the powerful's negligence.

Even if you don't agree, I hope that explains why I see things as I do. How do you see the relationships between the powerful, not-so powerful and the government?

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Tjol wrote:Consider ten persons in the middle of some arena being cheered to violence by the watching crowd. Are those ten people more in danger of each other when they are armed with pillows or when they are armed with swords? I prefer that the powerful only have pillows in their hands when and if they do decide to bring themselves against me, even if it only allows me a pillow with which to act out a little defiance.
And then the Giant strides into the arena with a claymore. And we look at our pillows, look at the claymore, and look at our pillows. Then we cry "defend us!". And the government runs up with their pillows and says, "here we are!"
Tjol wrote:My impression is that if the powerful compete against each other, they won't have a lot of attention to spend on the not-so powerful, leaving the not-so powerful plenty of time to become powerful enough before they too join the competition.
So the pillow-weilding government chastises the Giant, "You weren't supposed to go after these citizens, only other Giants! Giant laughs.

Because if a government is less powerful than the forces it is chartered to govern, it's just a speedbump.

Post by Avatar »

wayfriend wrote:Because if a government is less powerful than the forces it is chartered to govern, it's just a speedbump.
I gotta agree with that. I don't think the answer is to make government more powerful though...it's to make those forces less powerful.

--A

Return to “Coercri”