Gilden-fire from Daughter of Regals

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

I have a copy of Gilden-fire, but the pixies stole it. :(
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

damn pixies!!

where is Landwaster these days??
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I only learned of GildenFire from reading the posts here. I just got my copy of it in the mail yesterday, and greatly looking forward to reading it. It's a hardbound book with only Gildenfire in it. Unfortunately I've already started re-reading Harry Potter 5, and I've still got about 600 pages to go on it, so it'll be awhile 'til I get to it.

So, thanks for turning me on to it folks.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'd better keep my mouth shut :)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:D U keep ur mouth shut? :haha:
fall far and well Pilots!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

ROFL!!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Thanks to the magic of ebay I finally bought my copy of Gilden-Fire about a year ago. Prior to that I had read it several times from DOR which I grabbed hot off the rack in 85 or so. It seems pretty obvious Fist has a copy given his avatar. I would gladly purchase everything Donaldson slashed from his original manuscript if were available. GF was an interesting glimpse into SRD’s creative processes.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Oh yeah, I'd LOVE to read every word he originally wrote!

It happened months ago, but there's no reason you can't add your comments to the GILDEN-FIRE Dissection.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Fist and Faith wrote:Oh yeah, I'd LOVE to read every word he originally wrote!
Geeze yeah I know, I agree totally. I'd read his electricity meter if he let me.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Too bad there isn’t a “Director’s Cut” or special features version of SRD’s books. I really enjoy watching the “Making of” extras on dvd movies or listening to the comment track. Imagine having Donaldson sitting in your living room and reading COTC to you and while reading, taking breaks to explain what he was thinking and how he worked the tough plot logic out and so on. Very cool.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Landwaster wrote:Geeze yeah I know, I agree totally. I'd read his electricity meter if he let me.
:LOLS: :haha: :LOLS: :haha:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

oh!! hahaha LOL :haha: :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Just wanted to let people know that if you ever WANTED to own your own stand alone copy of Gilden Fire, Amazon has many copies available right now at under $10. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Roynish »

Its just the completist in me. I need that book. Thanks for the info.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: Well u're right Caamora...

Post by Endymion9 »

danlo wrote:The Del Rey w/the Girl and the Dragon was published in '85, but there was and old version (the 1 w/the castle, possibly Bantam) that was also running from 84-86 which did not include Gilden-Fire that tends 2 pop-up alot in used bookstores. So my warning was probably overtly cautious--In any case: simply don't purchase the copy w/the funky medievel castle and u'll b ok!
That makes sense. I thought when I first read DoR it did not have Gilden Fire in it. I bought GF seperately as a hard back from the Science Fiction Book Club of America.

But when I saw GF in the recent paperback copy of DoR I thought maybe my memory was just bad.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I like "Gilden-Fire" because...

--we get more backstory on the Haruchai,
Yet in time a kind of understanding came to the Ho-aru and Nimishi. They saw that they fought a feud they could not win. First, the clans were too evenly matched for one side to retain for long any brief ascendance. And second, even victory offered no solution to the need, for a victorious family would quickly grow in size until it was as large as two; and then the lack of food and warmth and shelter would kill as before. So the leaders of the clans met and formed the Bond. Enmity was set aside, and hands were joined. From that time onward, Ho-aru and Nimishi warred together against their common need.
--we get to see more of Lord Hyrim and his endearing self-deprecating humor,
However, the food seemed to meet his [Hyrim's] needs. Soon he recovered enough cheerfulness to groan, "Sister Shetra, you are not a good cook."
When she made no reply, he stretched himself on his back by the fire, sighing plaintively, "Ah, agony!" For a time, he stared at the way the flames danced without consuming along the special wood of the lillianrill. Then he turned his face to the sky and said gruffly, "Friends, I had bethought me of fit revenge against those who gave to me this unendurable ride. Since noon, I have been full of dire promises--in place of food, I think. But now I am contrite. The fault is mine alone. I have been a fat thistle-brained fool from the moment the thought of the Loresraat and Lordship entered my head. Ah, what business had I to dream of Lords and Giants, of lore and bold undertakings? Better had I been punished severely and sent to tend sheep for the rest of my days, rather than permitted to follow mad fancies. But Hoole Gren-mate my father was a kind man, slow to chastise. Alas, his memory is poorly honored in my thick self. Were he to see me now, thus reduced to raw quivering flesh and strengthless bones by one single day astride the honor of a Ranyhyn, he would have shed great fat tears as a reproach to my overfed resourcelessness."
---and it's the only time we ever get to visit Grimmerdhore Forest.
The air around them was thick and deep, almost audibly underlined with slumber; and it shifted faintly through the dim, mottled shadows like an uneasy rest, disturbed by dreams of damage and blood repayment. It smelled so heavily of moss and damp moldering soil and rot and growth that it was hard to breathe; it seemed to resist the lungs of the riders. And the crowded branches blocked out most of the sunlight; between occasional bright swaths of filtered lamination the trees seemed to brood in gloom, contemplating death.

But the quiet of Grimmerdhore was not as impenetrable as it had first appeared. From time to time, strange hoarse birds screeched forlornly. Black squirrels raced overhead. And frequently the Bloodguard heard frightened animals scuttling sway from the company through the underbrush.

Still, the way became easier. The woods spread out within the perimeter of the brambles. The path broadened as if the trees were guarding it less closely; and animal trails wove back and forth around it. As a result, the company was able to resume its formation, with the Lords and Korik riding on the path and the other Bloodguard moving through the trees around them. Here the Ranyhyn went more quickly, almost at a trot; and the company moved straight in toward the heart of Grimmerdhore.
As "Reave the Unjust" says in "Sticky: The Official Gilden-Fire Thread" (in the forum The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant), "Gilden-Fire" is best read inserted between the reading of the chapters "'Lord Kevin's Lament'" and "Glimmermere" in The Illearth War. (I think it's a nice little read all by itself, too.)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

What ultimately happens to the members of Korik's Mission seems even more moving and tragic from what we learn about them all in "Gilden-Fire", it seems to me. (And what we already knew about the fate of the Unhomed from The Illearth War was tragic enough! :sob: )
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I think it's also the first place I realised the Haruchai are telepathic.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:I think it's also the first place I realised the Haruchai are telepathic.
In my case, the first time I realized the Haruchai were telepathic was reading about the soothtell in The Wounded Land. This is where Brinn uses the mind-speech to urge Covenant to fight the Clave. I first read that back in 1981. At the time, "Gilden-Fire" hadn't been published, yet.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well yes, sorry, I meant in the context of the chronology of the stories. The first time actually was in TWL and I remember being hell of a shocked, because I never got a hint of it in the first chrons.

--A

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”