Now This Is Legitimate BS Name Calling

Archive From The 'Tank
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Now This Is Legitimate BS Name Calling

Post by Harbinger »

Teacher writes -20% for being a loser on 6th graders paper. And it's not the only incident with picking on this girl in particular.

Video link.
www.nowpublic.com/strange/rex-roland-n- ... 90157.html

The teacher claims this is his way of "joking" with the student. What an ass- the joke affects her grade, too.

FYI- This is one of those situations where I would administer a beat down, then ask the schmuck who the loser was.

EDIT: I'm really upset by this. You just don't do things to damage children's self-esteem. The most important thing you can give a child is good self-esteem. And every parent has the ability to do that; and every teacher has the obligation to not break down children's sef-esteem.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Bad. Very bad. Fire the teacher.

That said, self-esteem should be tempered to ensure that you don't create a sense of entitlement. But it's not a teacher's place to cast judgement like that at all.

--A
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Ok...the teacher definitely deserves to be fired...

but come on..."-20% for being a loser"...? That's fricken hilarious...hahaha...

-jay
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

You don't know the details so why judge like you do?

Post by Avatar »

The details don't matter. *shrug* To actually write it on the paper is at best incredibly unprofessional. And possibly symptomatic of active discrimination on the teacher's part.

There's no way that writing that on a students paper is remotely acceptable or justifiable. Under any circumstances.

--A
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

I agree it is unprofessional, but we don't know if it was in any way malicious. Could just have been some kind of in-joke (and not the bullying without realising kind of joke). Sure he might well be an asshole but personally I don't feel there's enough information for such conclusive judgements.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Dude, did you watch the video? This is the second offense. He had already upset the girl and the parents had already contacted the school about it. Then this bastard did it again.

So, yeah. I am judging this POS.
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

I don't understand how anyone can think that there isn't enough information here to make a judgment call. The teacher did write "loser" on the student's work. How is this acceptable in any context? The only thing I think is funny about this is that the teacher thinks that name calling is a way to relate to his students...yea, well, maybe it's a way he can relate to the bullies in his class. Did you see that little girl? How can anyone call her a loser? That teacher will never get fired.

"No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall."

This just in....according to her mother, the little girl is now being bullied b/c her mother complained about the teacher. Lovely. Oh, and the teacher has apologized.

www.wlos.com/

Post by Avatar »

Anybody know how old the teacher is? As for joking with students, maybe it would be more acceptable in speech to a 16 yr old. But writing it (officially) on an 11 yr olds paper...it's not funny.

--A
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Calling a child a loser in a joking way is completely different than penalizing their grade with the explanation that they are a loser. And still not acceptable to me at all.

Even if it is a joke to Rex Roland, he should realize that his style of joking is ruining a young life.

Shakespeare asserted that "the truth comes out in jest." I wonder if ol Rex doesn't somehow try to make himself feel better about his own inadequacies by his style of "joking" with his students.

Like Ki said, you know nothing is going to happen to this guy.

It would totally be worth the trip to jail to go down to the school and make Rex eat dirt in the front yard during school hours while calling him a loser. Of course, then the state would have my fingerprints. :twisted:

Post by Avatar »

Harbinger wrote:...while calling him a loser. Of course, then the state would have my fingerprints. :twisted:
:LOLS:

And yeah...were there errors worth 20%? And was the actual entered grade less that 20% (if there weren't)?

--A
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Evidently, the girl scored a twenty percent on the test prior to the "loser deduction."
Teacher faces sack for writing 'loser' on poor exam paper
A teacher in America could his job for writing the word "loser" on a student's exam paper after she scored a poor mark.

By Paul Thompson
Published: 7:00AM GMT 15 Mar 2010

Rex Roland made the sarcastic comment after the ten-year-old earned a very low mark in a class test at Enka Middle School in Candler, North Carolina.

Mr Roland has defended his actions by saying he was trying to "relate" to his students with their style of language.

The girl had scored 20 out of 100 in a test.

Mr Roland, who has taught at the school for 12 years, apologised to the girl's parents and said he did not mean to offend her.

Patty Clement, the girl's mother, claimed her daughter was now being bullied as a result of the comment and wants Mr Roland sacked.

An online petition titled "Please Get Rex Roland Out of Enka Middle School", has been established and some parents have set up a Facebook page with the mission to "Remove Rex Roland From Teaching Forever". The petition, addressed to the school's headmaster, has more than 100 signatures.

School chiefs said they were investigating the loser remark.
I guess calling her a loser is easier than helping her.

I AM POSTING AN ONLINE PETITION TO FIRE REX ROLAND IN THE GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD PLEASE SIGN IT.

Post by Avatar »

So was her recorded mark 20% or 0%? If the former, then I agree he wasn't penalising her further, he was just mocking her poor score. Not what a teacher should ever do.

(As an aside...isn't this focus on a ten yr old's mark a bit extreme? Just seems disproportionate for her age/level of schooling.)

--A
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

Avatar wrote:Anybody know how old the teacher is? As for joking with students, maybe it would be more acceptable in speech to a 16 yr old. But writing it (officially) on an 11 yr olds paper...it's not funny.--A
I asked my 17 y.o. last night what he would do if that happened to him and he said that he would think it was a joke but then I asked him what if it happened to his little brother, who is 9 and he said, "Oh, no way would that be funny." So I think age definitely plays a part. I also showed my teenager a picture of the little girl and he just couldn't believe that a teacher would do that to her.
Ki
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ki »

North Carolina Teacher Suspended After Writing 'Loser' on Girl's School Work
I can't believe they suspended him.

Here's the story.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,589386,00. ... latestnews
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

I'm not sure we will ever know what the hell was going through Mr. Roland's mind when he wrote his wonderful comment upon his student's paper. It stretches credulity to believe his intent, when writing the comment, wasn't to demean and belittle his student. Coddling the young lady isn't a good idea but not writing "loser" on a child's work doesn't really constitute coddling. I think Mr. Rowland's suspension is well warrented. Had it been my decision I would probably have terminated his employment.

Return to “Coercri”