Waters to perform The Wall live on tour 2010

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

dlbpharmd
Lord

Waters to perform The Wall live on tour 2010

Post by dlbpharmd »

Anyone see this?

www.rogerwaters.com

Anyone think they might wanna go?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I saw the announcement by Live Nation on Facebook and shared it on my wall there. He'll be in Tampa November 16th.

I much prefer the Gilmour fronted Pick Floyd over what I have heard of Waters solo, but I know there are some here who saw his DSotM tour and say it was incredible. So, I'm pretty sure Hyperception and I will at least consider it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Can Roger still sing? I must ask.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Yeah, that's a major part of my hesitation.

My assumption is this will be more a showmanship event, rather than a vocal one. I would really like to hear how his singing was on the DSotM tour; not just that the show itself was great.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(When was the DSotM tour?)
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

wayfriend wrote:Can Roger still sing? I must ask.
He actually sounds much the same honestly. I don't think he smokes, so while his voice was never really that good, it hasn't deteriorated over the years.

The DSOTM show was pretty cool, and roger has a lot of talented people in his band. Hes just gotten so damn political over the years, its a little wearying to see 40 year old material applied to the present world situation. It's just kind of tacky honestly. DSOTM is timeless, that's what makes it so special. So are Animals and The Wall, which I consider to be the best two Waters dominated albums.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

The Dreaming wrote:
He actually sounds much the same honestly.
Yep. I've never seen him live, but I own the DVDs :D He doesn't sound like he's about to die like in the studio album Amused to Death. As far as Waters vs. Gilmour solo... I dunno, I always felt that Waters was a more audience participation sort of show and Gilmour was a prestigious sort of event... as much as either actually do, it really is mostly about the music.

As far as the event is concerned, I've all ready spazed out on Menolly's Facebook wall, and I think that everyone's safe until I gain my energy back ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

From what I've heard on some bootlegs I've listened to, he sounds better now than he did a few years ago, but he still has problems with his voice.

I saw Gilmour/Floyd on their last tour and they sounded much better than Waters does singing the same songs. But Waters is worth seeing IMO.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Akasri wrote: I saw Gilmour/Floyd on their last tour and they sounded much better than Waters does singing the same songs.
No doubt, Gilmour has been and always will be the voice of Pink Floyd. Waters only sounds right in some songs or parts of them, like the beginning and middle of Comfortably Numb and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. But Barret will always be the soul.
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Hyperception's and my first date was The Momentary Lapse of Reason show at the Orange Bowl. That is the only time either of us have ever seen Floyd live, and the memories are intermingled with getting to know each other as well. But I do remember the vocals being awesome. I just don't know if the same can be said of Waters live.

...and Orlion, yeah.
You and Hyperception did go off a bit on my wall.
Glad to have been of service. ;)
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

The Dreaming wrote:Hes just gotten so damn political over the years, its a little wearying to see 40 year old material applied to the present world situation. It's just kind of tacky honestly.
That's why I avoided seeing the Pretenders live, even though I loved the group.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

___ wrote:
The Dreaming wrote:Hes just gotten so damn political over the years, its a little wearying to see 40 year old material applied to the present world situation. It's just kind of tacky honestly.
That's why I avoided seeing the Pretenders live, even though I loved the group.
tacky? really? pft. if this is a debate i'd have to disagree on the grounds that he's still got the biggest pig in the room. [woot] i guess i'd have to say i still dig his world view. i would have liked (as most of you prolly guessed) i'd really like to have seen the tour with doyle and snowy and..well that entire in the flesh line up.

uh yeah dlb! :wave: i'd still like to see the man live since i never have.
i think maybe the forum in LA would be a fun show.

immona go see the psychadelic furs in june but thats just 2 blocks down the street at great american music hall so i'd kinda like to take a trip to see roger.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

lucimay wrote: if this is a debate i'd have to disagree
It's not a debate. And you don't have to do anything; you have the power of choice here.

My opinion's this: "I spent X amount of money to see a Rock concert, not a political campaign". I say this, having no idea what side of the fence Mr. Waters is on. I don't need to know, I don't want to know; I don't even think he's a US citizen, so it's even less important to me that the zero importance it'd have if he were.

Having said that, I'd be cheering my ass of if he were to end his concert with a rousing chorus of "Tear down the Tank!!"
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I'd love to see Floyd in any incarnation really. Gilmour undoubtedly has the voice and guitar sound, but Waters is the inspiration of so much of the Floyd gold.

Waters' voice sounds terrible really, but I think he's realised that, and I'd like to think he'd only contribute vocals to his range - ala Orlion's comment about certain bits of Comfortably Numb etc...

But it's all academic for me, since I'm on the other side of the world :(

(hoping quietly for a world tour...)
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

On the voice thing ... I saw a youtube a while back of Waters and Clapton performing Wish You Were Here. Waters sounded horrible. So last night I dug up a youtube of the DSotM tour (2007, btw. Time, btw.). His vocals do sound good, but he's clearly artificially supported. I don't want to say lip synching ... it's not that bad.

I would love to see a Waters show ... I would prefer to see him perform his solo material over Dark Side or The Wall though. On the other hand, I am sure the Wall will be peformed like you've never heard it before, either. It could be a thing of beauty.

Then again, nothing tops getting Van Morrison to sing Comfortably Numb back in '90 (?) in the "Like You've Never Heard Before" category.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

wayfriend wrote: Then again, nothing tops getting Van Morrison to sing Comfortably Numb back in '90 (?) in the "Like You've Never Heard Before" category.
That was too much for me to take in the 90's, but I think I appreciate it now... I think! Transforming one of Gilmour's most melodic pieces to Van was a challenge for a die-hard fan!

Sinead singing Mother however, "blow my mind" category!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

wayfriend wrote:I would prefer to see him perform his solo material over Dark Side or The Wall though.
I agree. I would love seeing him perform Amused to Death, Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, or even Radio KAOS. Of course, seeing the Wall performed live has its temptations...
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

StevieG wrote:
wayfriend wrote: Then again, nothing tops getting Van Morrison to sing Comfortably Numb back in '90 (?) in the "Like You've Never Heard Before" category.
That was too much for me to take in the 90's, but I think I appreciate it now... I think! Transforming one of Gilmour's most melodic pieces to Van was a challenge for a die-hard fan!

Sinead singing Mother however, "blow my mind" category!
That whole "Wall Live in Berlin" show was great! It was such a strange mix of artists, but they all sounded good with what they sang.
Mooner
Servant of the Land

Post by Mooner »

I caught his show at the end of '06. 10th row center and taped it. Awesome show and awesome recording.
Somewhat. His lipsynching is very good though.
Menolly wrote:My assumption is this will be more a showmanship event, rather than a vocal one. I would really like to hear how his singing was on the DSotM tour; not just that the show itself was great.
Post post I'll have to check out his band lineup. For '06-08, he was very amicable and chatty with the audience. No one to my knowledge was spit on. But his band was outstanding - Andy Low, Snowy White (DG Jr.), Dave Kilminster, and of course the ladies: Kate, P.P., and Carol. Poor Harry, though, can't cold a candle to Rick (RIP). As for Mr. Broad, the world has produced only a few melodic drummers, he not being among them.
One must remember that Roger emerged from the Floyd as a conductor/composer and therein lies his genius.
I admit I am a Floyd freak, own every single Floyd and solo ROIO and VOIO, and will certainly be attending at least one show.
Orlion wrote:But Barret will always be the soul.
A small secret, that is he in my avatar.
By the grace of God Almighty, and the pressures of the market place, the human race has civilized itself. It's a miracle. RW
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I've always felt the saxophonist makes or breaks a Floyd show, whether it be Gilmoric or Waternian.

Return to “Vespers”