Name Pronunciation

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Name Pronunciation

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

Mods, you can go ahead and start throwing rocks and rotten tomatoes at me, because this has probably been discussed dozens of times in hundreds of different threads. But I been looking and looking and haven't figured out where to look, at least not as far as Mordant's Need is concerned. I know there is a Name Meaning thread, but pronunciation is barely mentioned there, as far as I can tell, and I didn't want to pull it off topic.

Self-Explanatory thread, really. How do you pronounce them?

I know the basic rules and structure of the English language, but I can't possibly make my brain read/pronounce in my head Geraden and Artagel with soft G's.

Ah hell, I'll list them:

Geraden: GAIR-uh-den

Artagel: ART-uh-gel (hard g)

Joyse: joice (like rejoice)

Myste: MIST

Kragen: Craig N. ; KRAY-gen (hard g)

Basically, like I said, I can't get the hard G's out of my head, and I mention Joyse and Myste because I stumble on those a lot, testing out how JOY-zee and MISS-tee feel/sound. Wonder how it all works out for others. Those are the only ones I can think of right now.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

They're all exactly how I pronounce them.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Jer-ah-den.

Otherwise, they're the same.

--A
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

My inclination has been soft g for Geraden and Artagel, as well as Margonal. Hard g for Kragen (all accented on first syllable), and a long a for Kragen.

Silent e for Myste and Joyse.

Barsonage = Parsonage with a b.

Quillon = I vary between Quill-un and key-Ohn (sort of French).
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I pronounce Geraden with a hard g, mainly because in German gerade means 'just, straight, direct' etc. so I think the name refers to that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

jur-ADD-in

ar-TAY-gle

JOYZ-ee

MIST-ee

KRAY-gen

Barsonage - BAR-sun-IJ

Quillon - QUILL-un
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

IrrationalSanity wrote:My inclination has been soft g for Geraden and Artagel, as well as Margonal. Hard g for Kragen (all accented on first syllable), and a long a for Kragen.

I am inclined toward a soft G for Marogonal as well.

That's crazy. I am reading hard G's where they should be soft, and soft ones where they should be hard.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I read Margonal and Kragen both with a hard "g."

--A
Quiss
Servant of the Land

Post by Quiss »

Geraden - Sounds like the beginning of Jerry....(if that makes sense ^^)

Joyse - Joice

Myste - Mist (Only because that's how I pronounce my name)

Kragen - Like a cray fish ^^ lol Cray-gen (Sounding like gun but with an 'en' sound like end)

Margonal - Like Margin, but with an O. Margin-OL

Artagel - Art-a-gel (Gel like the beginning of Gelding)

Barsonage - Like the aforementioned Parsonage with a 'b' ^^

Lebbick - Leb-Ick

Quillon - Quill-on (exactly how its spelt ^^)

Obviously I suck at describing how things sound...buuut, if you can all understand that then its all good ^^
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Quiss wrote:Myste - Mist (Only because that's how I pronounce my name)
So the Q makes an M sound, the U is silent, and the second S makes a T sound? Interesting ... :)

Welcome to the Watch. I take it your a fan of Mordant's need. (Why not head on over to the Summonsing forum and say hello to everyone and tell us anything else you like?)
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Ger-AH-den (soft g)
Joice (as in re-joice)
Mist
ART-a-gel (hard g)
MARG-o-nel (hard g)
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I think it's important to sound out King Joyse's name in one's head as "JOYZZZ"; that way you remember to spell it with an "s" instead of a "c".
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Cord Hurn wrote:I think it's important to sound out King Joyse's name in one's head as "JOYZZZ"; that way you remember to spell it with an "s" instead of a "c".
But don't forget the "ee" at the end. That -e is there for a reason! You should pronounce his name like people from Jersey say "Jersey".
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

It's pronounced like the end of rejoice! If you say it with ZZZZ it sounds like joys and that's belittling our beloved king Joyce.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:I read Margonal and Kragen both with a hard "g."

--A
So do I.

However, I pronounce the "g"s in Geraden and Artagel in my head as a soft "g" (= "j") sound--simply because I think that's better.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:It's pronounced like the end of rejoice! If you say it with ZZZZ it sounds like joys and that's belittling our beloved king Joyce.
The problem with your way of mentally pronouncing the King's name, Shadowbinding Shoe, is that it makes you regularly mis-spell it. (But hey, that's no crime, and I always know to whom you are referring! I very much appreciate all your terrific contributions to this forum; please know that!!!) It's not "Joyce" like a woman's name; it's Joyse.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

wayfriend wrote:
Cord Hurn wrote:I think it's important to sound out King Joyse's name in one's head as "JOYZZZ"; that way you remember to spell it with an "s" instead of a "c".
But don't forget the "ee" at the end. That -e is there for a reason! You should pronounce his name like people from Jersey say "Jersey".

Surely you jest. :P If I thought of the King's name as sounding that way, I'd start to annoy myself by imagining he's humming Springsteen and Bon Jovi songs while playing hop-board. ;)

[Edits: I've teased wayfriend about this, but he could be right. "JOY-zee"...hmmm...so by this example his daughter Myste's name would be pronounced to rhyme with "feisty".]
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:
shadowbinding shoe wrote:It's pronounced like the end of rejoice! If you say it with ZZZZ it sounds like joys and that's belittling our beloved king Joyce.
The problem with your way of mentally pronouncing the King's name, Shadowbinding Shoe, is that it makes you regularly misspell it. (But hey, that's no crime, and I always know to whom you are referring! I very much appreciate all your terrific contributions to this forum; please know that!!!) It's not "Joyce" like a woman's name; it's Joyse.

And I want to reiterate, SS, that your valuable, well-thought-out insights are fantastic and are what really count. So, if you still want to spell the King's name as "Joyce", I'll just have to overlook it! :D
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

No worries Cord Hurn.

I'm not a native English speaker and wasn't familiar with the femalish name 'Joyce' so it didn't bother me the way it did you.

Here's a name-meaning link: www.behindthename.com/name/joyce. Seems it's not strictly a female name and contain both the meaning rejoice and lord. The earlier male version was spelled Josse. I'm not sure how Medieval pronounciation makes it sound. Probably Germanic sounding.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:
wayfriend wrote:

Surely you jest. :P If I thought of the King's name as sounding that way, I'd start to annoy myself by imagining he's humming Springsteen and Bon Jovi songs while playing hop-board. ;)
Wayfriend and I are of course referring to the US state of New Jersey, not the place in Great Britain known as Jersey (and I doubt that there they pronounce it as "JOYZ-ee") :biggrin:

Return to “Mordant's Need”