Causes of the US Civil War

Those who do not learn history are doomed to use this quote over and over again.

Moderators: danlo, Damelon

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Cybrweez wrote:Oh, I guess to be clear, the south seceded due to slavery, the north fought to keep the union.
Much more acceptable, although I'd add partly due to slavery.

But that's a lot different to saying slavery caused the civil war. Seccession caused the civil war. The government of the North didn't care a damn about slavery. They would have left them their slaves if they'd agreed not to secede.

--A
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Well, I said earlier, the government didn't even say they couldn't have their slaves, and Lincoln had no plans to abolish slavery. So they didn't even have to say they'll let them keep slaves, they never said they couldn't. The southern states seceded b/c they didn't like Lincoln, and thought he wanted to abolish slavery in the territories.

So, if you sign an agreement, then try to void it b/c you don't like the results, I say you're out of luck, unless you have the ability to resist the other side forcing you to keep the agreement.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cybr,
Cybrweez wrote:Well, I said earlier, the government didn't even say they couldn't have their slaves, and Lincoln had no plans to abolish slavery. So they didn't even have to say they'll let them keep slaves, they never said they couldn't. The southern states seceded b/c they didn't like Lincoln, and thought he wanted to abolish slavery in the territories.

So, if you sign an agreement, then try to void it b/c you don't like the results, I say you're out of luck, unless you have the ability to resist the other side forcing you to keep the agreement.
Unless the agreement preserves the power of individuals or organizations subject to the agreement to withdraw. Because States had the power to withdraw from the Union when the Constitution was created and because that power was not withdrawn from the States the power is reserved to the States under the 10th Amendment.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

SerScot wrote: First, at the time of the late Unpleasantness the "bill of rights" did not apply to the State Governments or State Government Actions. It was only protection against actions by the Federal Government. This was also pre-entitlement so it's not like the citizens of the seceding States were going to lose their juicy government benefit checks or lose some protection from the State Governments because that protection didn't exist until after the 14th Amendment was passed.

Second, how are you going to get around the reservation of powers in the 10th Amendment? States had the inherent power to choose to join the Union or leave the Union when they ratified the Constitution (otherwise it would have had force and effect over all the States once 9 had ratified it). That power is not taken from the States, therefore, the power to leave is retained under the express terms of the 10th Amendment.
Both of those suffer from the same contradictory problem, though:
It is meaningless in every significant way to say I have freedom of speech that the Feds cannot infringe upon, and cannot inflict cruel and unusual punishment on me if those rights do not prevent NYS from torturing me for a year then burning me at the stake for saying S.C. Justice Thomas is a pervert.
If a state has the power to leave whenever it wishes, the Feds have no authority at all over the states.
None of which is to say the Feds don't over-reach.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Vraith,

Regarding the application of the Bill of Rights to the States. See, Barron v. Mayor of Baltimore 32 U.S. 243, 250-251 (S.Ct. 1833):
We are of opinion, that the provision in the fifth amendment to the constitution, declaring that private property shall not be taken for public use, without just compensation, is intended solely as a limitation on the exercise of power by the *251 government of the United States, and is not applicable to the legislation of the states.
It was not until the passage of the 14th Amendment that individual portions of the Bill of Rights were "incorporated" to apply against the power of the several States. That took most of the 20th Century to individually apply each provision. The last (the 2nd amendment) was just last year held to apply to State power.
If a state has the power to leave whenever it wishes, the Feds have no authority at all over the states.
None of which is to say the Feds don't over-reach.
Yes, but the States wouldn't have joined in the first place if they were going to leave on a whim. As long as they remained in the Union the terms of the Supremecy clause applied and the Federal Government and Federal law (that was within Federal Power to pass) was supreme over State Law. However, if as I contend, the Union was a voluntary pact then The States could leave where and when they wished.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Since we are discussing the origins of the Constitution and the interpretations that have devolved therefrom here's a book I discovered in Barnes & Noble this afternoon:

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/a ... 04002.html

It details the debates surrounding ratification in detail and points out how when the Constitution went into operation two States, North Carolina and Rhode Island, had yet to decide whether they would ratify and remain in the new nation, or leave.

Therefore, States have the retained power, as it wasn't taken from them to leave the Union if they so chose.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Here's an interesting article, called The Case Against Secession. I'll stick to its explanation of the Southern reasons for secession, which far from an expression of states rights was a reaction to a denial of expansion of federal power.
When the States ratified the Constitution of 1787, they pledged that they would accept the results of elections conducted according to its rules. In violation of this pledge, the Southern States seceded because they did not like the outcome of the election of 1860. Thus secession is the interruption of the constitutional operation of republican government, substituting the rule of the minority for that of the majority.

In his July 4 address to Congress, Lincoln observed that the American "experiment" in popular government had passed two of three tests — the successful establishing and the successful administering of it. One test remained. Could popular government in America maintain itself against a "formidable internal attempt to overthrow it." It had yet to be proved, said Lincoln, that ballots were "the rightful and peaceful successors to bullets" and that "when ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets."

As William Freehling has argued, the supposed right to break up the government when the minority does not get its way is really nothing but blackmail. The attempted dissolution of the Union in 1860 and 1861 was the final act in a drama that had been under way since the 1830s, only this time the blackmailers' bluff was called.

In 1833, the minority threatened secession over the tariff. The majority gave in. In 1835, it threatened secession if Congress did not prohibit discussions of slavery during its own proceedings. The majority gave in and passed a "Gag Rule." In 1850, the minority threatened secession unless Congress forced the return of fugitive slaves without a prior jury trial. The majority agreed to pass a Fugitive Slave Act. In 1854 the minority threatened secession unless the Missouri Compromise was repealed, opening Kansas to slavery. Again, the majority acquiesced rather than see the Union smashed.

But the majority could only go so far in permitting minority blackmail to override the constitutional will of the majority. At the Democratic Convention in Charleston, held in April 1860, the majority finally refused the blackmailers' demand — for a federal guarantee of slave property in all US territories (my italics). The delegates from the deep South walked out, splitting the Democratic Party and ensuring that Lincoln would be elected by a plurality.

There are two ironies here. The first is that the real "secession" was that of the South from the Democratic Party. The resulting split in the Democratic Party was instrumental in bringing about the election of Lincoln, which the South then used as the excuse for smashing the Union. The second is that the South's demand at Charleston, far from having anything to do with States' rights, was instead a call for an unprecedented expansion of federal power.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Damelon,

I've previously acknowledged that Secession, at least by the lower South, was undertaken with very poor rationals. I contend that matters not at all. If the Federal Government and the States wanted Secession to be limited to specific circumstances and situations where the National Government had not fulfilled its duties under the Constitution or was expanding beyond its powers under the Constitution it should have written those limitations into the Constitution.

As it Stands there are no such limitations in the Constitution. States made the choice to remain in the Union via ratification or non-ratification. They had the power to choose to leave the Union of the United States at that time. The Constitution under the Tenth Amendment expressly reserves those powers not delegated to the Federal Government to the States and limits the Federal Government to those powers delegated to it under the terms of the Constitution. Because the power to choose to leave the Union was not expressly denied to the States and because the power to prevent a peaceful exit from the Union was not expressly granted to the Federal Government, secession for any or no reason was Constitutional in my opinion.

The only justification for the invasion that followed Ft. Sumter that stands up, in my opinion, was that of purely expansionist invasion. The South was conquered and incorporated into the United States growing empire like so many other Nations over the course of the 19th Century.

Now to more squarely address your point you have to look at the two different waves of secession. Those before and after the call for troops to invade the lower South and force those States back into the Union. SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, and TX left before that call for troops. That's what I designate the "Lower South". If a rational was necessary to have the power to leave the Union those States would lack a proper rational.

However, the Upper South, VA, TN, AR, NC (MI, KY) had such a rational. President Lincoln called for troops from all the States to form an army to invade and reincorporate the Lower South into the Union. Those States ordinances of Secession followed that demand for troops for the purpose of invasion. The "Republican Form of Government Clause" gives the Federal government the power to invade a State and fix it's government only when the State Legislature or State Executive have requested assistance from the Federal Government for that express purpose. No such requests were forthcoming from the States of the Lower South. In fact the exact opposite was done. As such President Lincoln's call for troops was, at best, extra-Constitutional, at worst a fundamental usurpation of the power of the reserved power of the States to choose to peacefully and voluntarily leave the Union. The States of the Upper South left because of this improper usurpation of power.

The discussion of the poor rationals for the States of the Lower South leaving the Union is a massive red herring ignoring the fact that they had the power to choose to leave for any or no reason at all. I have yet to have someone give me a Constitutionally based textual basis for why the States didn't have the power to leave the Union. Everyone always resorts to ideas that are extra-Constitutional. I look forward to your response.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

SerScot,

My own opinion of the matter is if the there had been a right of secession it would have been expressly given in the Constitution, rather than left up to the ambiguous Tenth Amendment. The founders in fact were against the idea of disunion before the revolution, since the colonies could not hope to effect policy in Parliament, or later conduct the war, singularly against Britain.

It was the generation of a national outlook that enabled the ultimate success of the Revolution and the eventual establishment of the states. Without the success of the nation, there would be no states. Indeed, the actions of individual states during the Revolution (As well as the actions of individual states both Southern and to a lesser extent Northern during the Civil War) were extremely injurious to the overall cause they were espousing.

Any disruption of the union in the aftermath of the Revolution was feared by the founders as leading to a balkanization of the continent, with the potential of individual areas falling prey to the machinations of European powers. This was a secret hope of European powers as late as the Civil War. Current theory on the right of secession, worked up as most proponents are over the expanded role of the federal government today, conveniently ignore that fact.

Yet, the Constitution of 1787 is itself a reaction to the weakness of the national government as represented by the Articles of Confederation, a much more state power centered organization. Not all of the states in 1787 were concerned about the power of the federal government over their affairs. The small states were concerned not by the federal government, but by the larger states. Hence the Senate in the Constitution. The procedure of secession was not listed in the body of the Constitution for the simple reason that there is none. Neither there, or implied in the Tenth Amendment. We shall all hang together or else we shall all hang separately.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Damelon,

So, if NC anf RI had not ratified the Constitution would they be part of the US?
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

SerScot,

It does not matter, because they did. They felt the pressure and knew in the end that they couldn't go it alone.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Damelon,

It matters a great deal. Under the express terms of the 10th Amendment it they could leave then and the power was not delegated the power is retained. You've made an interesting argument about why States shouldn't secede but you've not addressed how the Constitution says they may not secede.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I think he has, by stating the idea of the Constitution was to replace Articles, which were not good enough for national govt. I think it was understood you couldn't pull out for anything, but at the very least, you had no basis to pull out when the Constitution expressly permitted something.

I'm curious, was the secession, due to slavery, the first time the idea came up? Maybe during the nullification debates over the tariff, although the nullify theory was different than secession, it may have be threatened as well. Anything earlier? There were certainly disagreements b/w states earlier.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cybr,
Cybrweez wrote:I think he has, by stating the idea of the Constitution was to replace Articles, which were not good enough for national govt. I think it was understood you couldn't pull out for anything, but at the very least, you had no basis to pull out when the Constitution expressly permitted something.
Please elaborate. You can't refer back to the Articles of Confederation. The AoC required unanimous consent to amend any provision. The Constitution was given force and effect when 9 of the 13 States ratified the document but only for those States who had ratified. Therefore, the Constitution itself was a direct abrogation of that earlier attempt to orgainize a national government.
I'm curious, was the secession, due to slavery, the first time the idea came up? Maybe during the nullification debates over the tariff, although the nullify theory was different than secession, it may have be threatened as well. Anything earlier? There were certainly disagreements b/w states earlier.
Nothing formal. There was talk of New England Seceeding during the war of 1812. It really hurt their shipping business.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

The noble cause of the Union snatching men off the boats from Ireland.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwnGO1VECwk
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Heh...resurrection!
I don't know why you love this issue other than being stubborn.

There are lots of arguments.
Most boil down to a single thing, I think, and that
is already answered. The FED is superior and binding on the STATE in ALL constitutional issues.
No fed branch [legislative, executive, or judicial] has EVER said,
[and the founder did not intend them to mean,:
the states interpret the constitution however the fuck the people in power feel like doing it.
Cuz let's not pretend that any poor or black or slave people got any vote at all. And let's not pretend they had a single fucking hint [let alone truth] about what really was. [IIRC, many of the states wouldn't have seceded at all if the gov't folk hadn't lied, cheated, and sneaked into it].
If states can willy-nilly withdraw, it isn't a fucking country at all. No one has any rights. NY and CA should be able to invade Texas and divide it between them.
Why can't regions secede from states?
Counties from regions?
Cities from counties?
Towns from cities?
Villages from towns?
Blocks from villages?
Streets from blocks?
Houses from streets?
Garages from houses?
Cars from Garages?

There would never have been a civil war if some fuckwads with a shitpile of money
And land,
and power,
didn't think they were ENTITLED to own other people.
It's wasn't originally a race thing [historically]...it became a race thing just cuz blacks were cheaper and easier to obtain, transport, and recognize if they escaped.

Really, though, the truth is only stupid shits want to secede on a pragmatic level. If they did a cost/benefit and concluded leaving was good...well they deserve to belong to whatever real state/country invades them and takes over.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Vraith,

I do not, and have never, contended that the choice to secede was a good or moral choice. It wasn't. Choosing to own people was and is wrong. My contention is that the choice of a State, a political entity that retains sovreignty, to voluntarly leave the Union was legal and Constitutional regardless of the morality or wisdom of the cause that prompted such a choice.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

SerScot wrote:Vraith,

I do not, and have never, contended that the choice to secede was a good or moral choice. It wasn't. Choosing to own people was and is wrong. My contention is that the choice of a State, a political entity that retains sovreignty, to voluntarly leave the Union was legal and Constitutional regardless of the morality or wisdom of the cause that prompted such a choice.
And yet almost all of my post had nothing to do with the good/moral choice.
It had to do with who has the power, how they have the power.

I'll try and put it in a format for argument, even if it doesn't answer the questions.

You [i'm fairly sure, people here similar to you in argument anyway] ::

Secession rights exist because the constitution doesn't mention it.
Privacy rights don't exist because the constitutions doesn't mention them.
See the problem?

States rights people [as a group, one can't speak of any individual...cuz individuals are complicated] are hypocrites.
If they weren't then EVERY SINGLE "States Right's" Conservative would be shouting from the rooftops how COOL and FREEDOM LOVING it is that Washington [the state] has legal pot.
But they aren't.
Because, as I've pointed out before, and no one has, even once, bothered to even attempt to falsify:
States that insist on states rights are, in almost every ACTUAL case attempting/arguing/defending positions to RESTRICT, to LIMIT, rights for the general population.
They are almost NEVER saying "Gov't has no right...."
They are ONLY saying "WE have the right, not big bad Federal gov't."
And it is so much drek I can't believe anyone falls for it.
State's Rights organizations are fucking LYING.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Why don't you tell us how you really feel, Vraith?

States are the primary building block of the United States--they are even mentioned in the name. Without States this country would never have existed. The Constitution wouldn't be the Constitution had States not ratified it; therefore, States retain the option to withdraw their ratification if they so desire. There is no phrase even remotely similar to "irrevocably binding in perpetuity" in the Constitution.

By the way, it is cool that Washington has legalized marijuana. It is also cool that those handful of States have chosen to recognize homosexual marriages. I wish we could get those here even though I partake of neither--I am so dedicated to freedoms and rights for people that I argue for them even when they do not directly benefit me.

The most dangerous thing that threatens this nation, and has been threatening it for quite some time, is not terrorism or communism or any other -ism. No, it is people with extremely deep pockets being allowed to buy politicians. As Vraith notes, slavery was a money-making venture and had been for millenia. When those in the North began to seriously threaten the economic foundation of those in the South, those in the South actually went to war to defend their way of life even though the vast majority of people in the South didn't own slaves. I have seen analyses that state that slavery had nothing to do with beginning the Civil War but those analyses, for all their well-reasoned verbal prestidigitation, fail to recognize the fact that that really was the precipitating factor.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Vraith,
Secession rights exist because the constitution doesn't mention it.
Privacy rights don't exist because the constitutions doesn't mention them.
No, I don't see the problem. I've never argued that the right to privacy doesn't exist because it is not mentioned. I've pointed out the 9th amendment expressly states that the inumeration of rights in the Bill of Rights does not mean those rights so enumerated are the only rights possessed by citizens of the US and that it is a solid place to latch a textual argument in favor of the existence of a "right to privacy".

Therefore, I don't understand why you are presenting this argument to me. Your reductionist objection of individual homes secedeing from their nations is non-sensical. The retained power of secession only works in the US because States are sovreigns (counties and municipaities are not) and because of the retained powers clause of the 10th amendment States retain those powers not expressly denied to them.

Hashi,

Lincoln'sthreat to the expansion of slavery would have made the slaveownerrs a perminant minority. That fact is what made his election "fighting words" to the Southern slaveowners.

Return to “Doriendor Corishev”