Orlion reads The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Yeah, Kallor's a piece of work. :lol:

Both prologues are, perhaps, my favorite parts of the entire series. Extraordinary stuff in so few pages!!! And it follows on with my favorite book of all.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, he has his moments though.

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'm almost two hundred pages into MoI (after finishing a couple papers and a couple exams, I finally had some time to read!) Amazing stuff, I'm actually starting to feel there may be actual direction in this series ;)

Some predicitions: I think it's obvious that the Elder Goddess is what is the other part of Silverfox... specifically the part that has Kallor's panties in a bundle. Also, Dujek's standard bearer has to be Teshcerryn(sp?)... at least, it makes perfect sens to me.

I kinda miss being confused out of my mind, but I'm sure that'll return (at least, it better! :x )
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Orlion wrote:I kinda miss being confused out of my mind, but I'm sure that'll return (at least, it better! :x )
Yup -- the book after next. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

aliantha wrote:
Orlion wrote:I kinda miss being confused out of my mind, but I'm sure that'll return (at least, it better! :x )
Yup -- the book after next. :lol:
Midnight Tides... the one the jerk canceled on me because it wasn't in stock! :x Hopefully this current order will go through...
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Don't skip over HoC, tho -- that's where you meet Karsa (the big lug... :hearts: ).

Maybe :hearts: is overstating it. But he certainly does improve upon acquaintance. :biggrin:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Nah, I don't like to skip around in the established sequence... at least, not on the first reading :D

Though I'm not sure when I should read Knight of Knives, or the Return of the Crimson Guard...
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Read Return of the Crimson Guard any time after you've read The Bonehunters. Read Night of Knives whenever you like, but probably before then.

Edit: Actually, maybe not "any time" - you might want to have some background gained in those two books before you reach a certain part of Dust of Dreams.

To those who've read DoD but don't remember what I mean:
Spoiler
The soldier who turns out in the last fight to posses a storm rider's sword.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Thanks, Murrin! I'll probably read KoK concurrently with whatever book I'm on come Thanksgiving.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Well, finished with exams, and I relaxed by reading past the three hundred page mark (p.320 to be exact :biggrin: ) Something I'm noticing with this book is that it seems like Erikson is deciding to really start forming a story arch for the series... at least, let it become noticeable. I've read somewhere that Erikson describes the over-all story arch as a triangle, with each point representing some "major" story arch. I'm assuming the 'triangle' is the Crippled God trying to get a hold of Oponn's coin so that he can use it to break the Warren of Time and escape into the Chaos beyond :biggrin:
What can I say? I'm a true Donaldson fan :P 8) ...hell, I found Covenant references in Avatar...

Anyway, back to the book... I'm glad for the triumphant returns of Kruppe and Toc the Younger, both personal favorites of mine. I also really like K'rul, he always seemed to be the coolest of all the gods (and since his arteries and veins are the Warrens, I think I rest my case... I mean, if that doesn't make you cool, what does?)

I'm a little bit confused by the Chaining... namely, when did it happen? Centuries ago? Seven years ago? Doesn't matter because there is no beginnings or endings to the tidal pulls of the Warren of Time, but the Chaining was a beginning?

Also, the statement that the Crippled God likes to make damaged folk his servants... well, that doesn't exempt any of our stalwart characters (except maybe Kruppe 8) )
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Almost done with MoI (sheesh, I'm a slow reader). So... couple of questions... first serious question: is there any structure in how one Ascends? I mean, it seems like you don't have to even be living (the Barghast ancestors and Trake, for example)...

Second, is it just me or does Hetan suck as a character? I mean, it seems like half her lines consist of "I'm going to bed you." Just seems kinda... flat... wouldn't be sad to see her go.

And somewhere out there is a Human Tyrant that not even the T'lan Imass can handle... plus the Tiste Edur are up to something... looks like I'll learn more about that during Midnight Tides :)
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Finished MoI, on to HoC (which, I realize now, isn't a reference to the Azath as I thought previously). Kallor's a bastard...
Spoiler
I mean, if you're going to kill Whiskeyjack, at least succeed in what you wanted to do!
I thought the scene where Korlat was telling Rake she and her brother were going to hunt down Kallor was awesome... Rake's response was the best! "Bring him alive," he says, "He deserves Dragnipur." Damn, skippy! Of course, I doubt this will happen... I mean, Kallor is a slippery, powerful bastard who now has the backing of the Crippled God and an Elder Curse preserving him... not looking good for Korlat and her brother...
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

HoC is awesome. One of my favourite. Goes way back, then ties back into DHG.

--A
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

No, I haven't noticed any structure to how one Ascends. There isn't even really a good definition of what it means. Some are worshiped, others not. It doesn't seem to be simply becoming powerful. Pust criticized Icarium and Mappo for having been around so long and not having Ascended. But there's not much of anything more powerful than Icarium.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Well, I shall offer some speculation then. It seems that Ascendency has more to do with possession of/residence in warrens than it does anything else. So, if you're in a warren's hierachy, that means you're ascended.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

It's possible. Really, it's impossible to say, I think. Do we know what warren Treach got when he Ascended? Or if that's how he Ascended? That's just the one who springs to mind off the top of my head.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Onos T'oolan wrote:It's possible. Really, it's impossible to say, I think. Do we know what warren Treach got when he Ascended? Or if that's how he Ascended? That's just the one who springs to mind off the top of my head.
Treach is the Tiger of Summer, right? I'm pretty sure it's implied (if not said clearly) that he kinda took up residence in Fener's realm when Fener was pulled out.... which seems, by my logic, to imply also that Fener was no longer an Ascendent once he was forced into the mortal realm.

The trickier ones, in my opinion, are ones like Oponn... also, what about souls that Hood takes into his realm?
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I can't think of anybody who has Ascended from Hood's realm. Altho who the hell knows... :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Hard to say if Treach took up residence in Fener's realm. He certainly took over as God of War, eh? But he was always an Ascendant (or "First Hero" as they were originally called), or at least was long before he took over for Fener.

As for Hood's realm... Yeah, I can think of some who did. Heh. At least, I guess it was from Hood's realm? *sigh* It's amazing how much I love these books, considering how much is largely unexplained. :lol:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Onos T'oolan wrote:As for Hood's realm... Yeah, I can think of some who did. Heh. At least, I guess it was from Hood's realm? *sigh* It's amazing how much I love these books, considering how much is largely unexplained. :lol:
Spoiler
Bridgeburners? Whiskeyjack? They weren't in Hood's realm -- they were in Dragnipur.

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”