Orlion reads The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

They went there from Hood's realm though. And as for Fener/Treach, they may have had realms, but I don't remember anything about that realm being a warren.

--A
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

aliantha wrote:
Onos T'oolan wrote:As for Hood's realm... Yeah, I can think of some who did. Heh. At least, I guess it was from Hood's realm? *sigh* It's amazing how much I love these books, considering how much is largely unexplained. :lol:
Spoiler
Bridgeburners? Whiskeyjack? They weren't in Hood's realm -- they were in Dragnipur.
How did they get there? None of them were killed by it.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Onos T'oolan wrote:
aliantha wrote:
Onos T'oolan wrote:As for Hood's realm... Yeah, I can think of some who did. Heh. At least, I guess it was from Hood's realm? *sigh* It's amazing how much I love these books, considering how much is largely unexplained. :lol:
Spoiler
Bridgeburners? Whiskeyjack? They weren't in Hood's realm -- they were in Dragnipur.
How did they get there? None of them were killed by it.
Weren't they in there? Am I misremembering? Gods know that's always possible with this series....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Onos, I have no idea how you could possibly forget the entire climax of one of the novels.
Spoiler
Hood sent his armies into Dragnipur to reinforce the cart until Rake was ready to sacrifice himself, remember? Hood even died at Dragnipur's edge to be able to do it.

The Bridgeburners were close to Ascendant through sheer virtue of wil and reputation even before they died. Paran's blessing and the song pushed them over, but after they were already dead.

Anyhow, Warrens are worlds as much as magical realms, some more stable than others. The Crippled God's previous world was a Warren, as is the Malazan world. It's just the terminology from the fact that the most known and easily accessible are more like minor alternate realms used for quick travel.
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Spoiler
We're talking about whether or not the Bridgeburners Ascended from Hood's realm - which I guess is the Warren of Death. ali seemed to be saying she thought they Ascended from Dragnipur. I'm saying they Ascended before going into Dragnipur. (How did Hood get them in there, I wonder...) They were killed at the end of MoI, and Ascended at the end of HoC. We don't even know that all went into Dragnipur (Hedge certainly didn't), but, whichever did, it was after they Ascended.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Spoiler
First you're asking how they got to Dragnipur, then you're saying you knew all along and just meant they didn't ascend there. :roll:

Anyway, isn't that (they did go to Hood's Realm, they ascended after they died, but not in Dragnipur) pretty much what I said?

Oh, and I thought Hedge did go to Hood's Realm. He got out through the old Jaghut death realm and Omtose Phellack, both of which are very closely tied to Hood's Realm.
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Good lord...
Spoiler
First is where they were when they Ascended. They were all dead. I'm not aware of any of them being anywhere but in Hood's realm. And yes, that includes Hedge. I never said he wasn't in Hood's realm. So I believe they all Ascended from Hood's realm. I do not believe they Ascended from Dragnipur.

Second, we still don't know how they got into Dragnipur. Yeah, Hood sent them there. But how did he do that? I thought you had to be killed by the blade in order to get into it. Hood knows another way in? That's pretty darned amazing, imo. OR, is he his own realm, so everything within him went into Dragnipur when he did?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Spoiler
Being taken into Dragnipur allowed Hood to open his Realm within the sword, yes.

And yeah, I read the bit about Hedge not being in Dragnipur then when I was writing the reply misremembered it.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

So now Crokus is Cutter. Whatev:roll: Incidently, I have new thoughts on Oponn's coin. It seems that many Ascendents that have influence in what's going on have mortal servants (like the Mortal Sword). This allows them to have more of a direct effect on thw world without entering it. Oponn wanted to play the game, so they sought mortal servants in the persons of Paran and Crokus (and gave Crokus the coin as a sign and talisman of his 'office' much like how the Mortal Sword of Fener had a special sword). These chosen servants rejected their call, however. That's why the coin seems pointless, because the purpose for which it was to be used (Crokus as a knight of Oponn) failed.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Whew, it's been a while! I'd finished HoC a couple weeks ago and was taking a break before moving on to MT. I am currently reading NoK. I'm assuming the Unfounded wanted Karsa to sit on the First Throne, though I could be wrong... no matter, it's better that he sent a certain priest of Shadow to eternal torment.
Looking forward to continuing, I just don't want to burn myself out on Malazan (if that is indeed possible)
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

It's good to take a break. I mounted a re-read before the 7th or 8th book came out, and had to bail somewhere in the 4th book. It's tough for me to do it all at once.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I read the first seven books without stopping, in less time than I'd ever read anything of even half that many pages. It just boggles my mind how much power the series has over me. Nothing close to burnout.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Not reading spoilers, just wanted to let you know I'm right after the Whirlwind now where Duiker gets conscripted...a little scattered, but it's picking up speed (makes me want to reread GotM badly, it's definitely holding it's own).
Last edited by danlo on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Avatar »

Oh enjoy... :D

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Right on the brink of Chain of Dogs now...will have to read the aftermath of the battle again...probably not in the right mood while trying to put daughter to bed, spilling tea on the bedcovers and such...the battles and the engineer's walkway was cool, but I either couldn't follow or wasn't interested in the moraines and bloody walls of ice with the Smek god and all that. A nice quiet coffeehouse might be a better locale...
fall far and well Pilots!
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Just needed to say: the prologue of MT was amazing :D
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Yeah! Awesome stuff!! This and the MoI prologue are so great! I love seeing the old, old stuff that fills us in on how things got to the point they are now.

And one of my favorite funny moments:
"Gothos," Mael rasped, "what ritual do you invoke in answer to this?"

The Jaghut scowled. "They've made a mess. I mean to cleanse it."

"Ice," the Elder god snorted. "The Jaghut answer to everything."

"And what would yours be, Mael? Flood, or...flood?"
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

At least Mael's *got* a sense of humor. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

I love Erikson, with a few caveats.

1) He can get too cutesy.

2) He's in love with some of his characters and it shows, in a decidedly Eddings-like way. That's not a good thing in my book.

3) He throws the reader to the wolves, and dares you to keep treading water until you can figure out what the heck is going on sometimes.

4) A little too much comic relief at times.

But I love the Malazan books, which I most likely would never have read except for SRD's recommendation.

I loved the beginning of Toll The Hounds...the prologue that ends with "and witness!" Great writing.

Post by Avatar »

Orlion wrote:Just needed to say: the prologue of MT was amazing :D
The rest of the book is probably one of my 2 least favourite though.

--A

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”