Orlion reads The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Horrim Carabal wrote:I love Erikson, with a few caveats.

1) He can get too cutesy.

2) He's in love with some of his characters and it shows, in a decidedly Eddings-like way. That's not a good thing in my book.

3) He throws the reader to the wolves, and dares you to keep treading water until you can figure out what the heck is going on sometimes.

4) A little too much comic relief at times.

But I love the Malazan books, which I most likely would never have read except for SRD's recommendation.

I loved the beginning of Toll The Hounds...the prologue that ends with "and witness!" Great writing.
I think he needs to get cutesy and have tons of comic relief for what he portrays, otherwise his readers might get too depressed to go on (not me, but I'm not all readers...yet). I've never read any Eddings, so I don't know about that... he seems to like crazy characters though like Kruppe and that Shadow Priest guy w/ his D'ivers wife.
And being thrown to the wolves is one of the things I like most about this series :D
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Orlion wrote:I think he needs to get cutesy and have tons of comic relief for what he portrays, otherwise his readers might get too depressed to go on (not me, but I'm not all readers...yet). I've never read any Eddings, so I don't know about that... he seems to like crazy characters though like Kruppe and that Shadow Priest guy w/ his D'ivers wife.
And being thrown to the wolves is one of the things I like most about this series :D
In the Belgariad and Malloreon, Eddings basically created a huge cast of characters that he loved so much that none of them ever died, or even lost a fight. One of Eddings' many shortcomings...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Horrim Carabal wrote:
Orlion wrote:I think he needs to get cutesy and have tons of comic relief for what he portrays, otherwise his readers might get too depressed to go on (not me, but I'm not all readers...yet). I've never read any Eddings, so I don't know about that... he seems to like crazy characters though like Kruppe and that Shadow Priest guy w/ his D'ivers wife.
In the Belgariad and Malloreon, Eddings basically created a huge cast of characters that he loved so much that none of them ever died, or even lost a fight. One of Eddings' many shortcomings...
Well, I don't think that's the case with Erikson... not entirely, anyway. Besides, it's nice to keep a huge cast of characters at the end so they can all fall in a fiery apocalyptic battle that shapes worlds! :D
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Orlion wrote:Just needed to say: the prologue of MT was amazing :D
The rest of the book is probably one of my 2 least favourite though.

--A
The other is GotM, right? I think you're mad :biggrin: The Crippled God has just gained another servant (I love those CG scenes, and savor each one that comes up... makes me want to hurry up so I can get to the book bearing his name as soon as possible :D ).

Really, thus far loving the entire series. The end of HoC elicited a WTF reaction out of me, but I'm over it now ;)
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nope, the other one is Reapers Gale. :D I liked GotM a lot, once I'd read enough other books to know what was going on. :lol:

--A
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Re DG: Not looking again, just trying to, sort of, piggyback on Orilon's thread. I've been enjoying the book, am invested in the story, but it didn't strike me as all that much until around page 610-620 uh WOW! If I've been halfway asleep through this book up till now I'm certainly beginning to wake up! 8O
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, wait til you hit MOI. :D

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Avatar wrote:Hahaha, wait til you hit MOI. :D

--A
Holy crap, that was an excellent book... probably my favorite thus far.

Essentially, if you don't love the series after MoI, something's wrong with you :P
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Avatar wrote:Nope, the other one is Reapers Gale. :D I liked GotM a lot, once I'd read enough other books to know what was going on. :lol:
danlo wrote:Re DG: Not looking again, just trying to, sort of, piggyback on Orilon's thread. I've been enjoying the book, am invested in the story, but it didn't strike me as all that much until around page 610-620 uh WOW! If I've been halfway asleep through this book up till now I'm certainly beginning to wake up! 8O
8O 8O I don't know what to say to either of you!! DG is certainly better than RG. But RG is great, and DG is phenomenal all the way through!

Damn crazy admins...

But yeah, DG gets better and better all the way through.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul

Post by Avatar »

It's the whole Edur story-line...in multiple re-reads, it's just gotten on my nerves. I consider those books just barely rescued by the Tehol/Bugg story-line.

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I don't think I could make it through the Sengar family's degradation more than a couple of times. But Tehol and Bugg are a constant joy to me. :mrgreen: I sure hope they show up in the last book.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

All right, finished MT and am moving on to BH. I hear this is where things start connecting! MT was a sort of difficult read because of all the editorial mistakes in my book, damn publishers! Other than that, I enjoyed it.

BTW, was *ahem* Bugg's scream heard in any of the previous books?
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Soooo....
Spoiler
Cutter just got owned by a T'lann I'mass
Sheesh, what a wuss ;) Really enjoying this book thus far, wish that 'Adjunct' was capitalized like it's suppose to be, but what am I going to do? Write a nasty letter to Tor publishing, of course! :twisted:
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I don't think Bugg's scream, but we see the result of his anger in MoI or HoC. I don't remember which, but I'm exactly halfway through MoI right now, so I'll know soon. heh

I don't remember that from BH. Been too long. I'll get there eventually. :lol:
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

MoI, they don't hear the scream but they find the body of the Tiste Edur. ;)
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

That's where I thought it happened, but couldn't be sure at this point.

Post by Avatar »

Haha, I think that's the time I noticed that MT was actually running concurrent with MoI.

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Well, I just finished the part in BH where Paran goes after Poliel... friggin awesome. But Apsalar needs to pull herself together, dammit!
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Finished Bonehunters! Good book, I particularly like the part when
Spoiler
the Jade Giants came crashing down... that was awesome! I don't know why people don't mention it more?

The fate of Kalam remains "uncertain", but what's important is Apsalar is still alive! Hoo-ray! I love Apsalar! She can stick me with those knives any time she wants! (Everyone reading this: :? ) You heard me! :P
Icarium at the end...definitely did not disappoint!

Now, on to Avatar's favorite volume ;)
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

Enjoy.

--A

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”