Jar Jar Binks

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

Worm of Despite
Lord

Jar Jar Binks

Post by Worm of Despite »

Look into his eyes and tell him you don't love him.

Kidding aside . . . I suppose I have inaugurated this board with its first thread! So what did Jar Jar Binks do for YOU? Did he make you quit watching Star Wars because he ruined all those fond childhood memories of the original trilogy? OR, did he use his magical powers and turn you into a soccer mom so you could laugh at his wacky antics? Either way, I know some people who have been scarred for life by this Gungan. I, for one, can do a spot-on impression of his voice. I don't think I'll ever recover from that fact, either . . . *cowers in a corner* Wesa gonna die in here?
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Jar Jar is an annoying dink. imho. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I get very annoyed when Hollywood inserts a comic foil into any movie that has the possibility of attracting a viewer younger than 16. In this case, Jar Jar is the object of my ire.

Most fantasy movies have suffered from this cutesy syndrome. Even LOTR has engaged in it to some extent. Gimli is portrayed as the bumbling but loveable little dwarf who makes a comedic quip twice a movie. I don't remember thinking of Gimli in this way after reading the books. Thankfully the remainder of the movies are so damn good that they easily overcome my disappointment that Gimli wasn't given a little more respect. Just a little rant...I'm feeling much better now!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Jar Jar killed Star Wars.-jay
___
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ___ »

Jar-Jar better than Ewok, but not much. Me smash.
When the man with a 45 meets the man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol is a dead man. Let's see if it's true.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Dr. Banner wrote:Jar-Jar better than Ewok, but not much. Me smash.
I happen to agree with you Dr. Ewoks killed ROTJ. Me hate puny Ewoks. Wookie Smash!!!!! :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I agree with the Hulk. THe Ewoks ruined Star Wars 17 years before I ever hear of Jar-Jar, who has done nothing to improve things. I would like to beat the tar-tar out of Jar-Jar. :screwy:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

I believe that few of you will disagree with the superiority of the older films over the newer ones, in nearly all respects (except for graphics and the speed of the lightsabre fights!)..anyway, my point is... jar jar binks takes the most annoying charicter title from the ewoks, not because he in himself is worse, but because of the general quality of the films is worse and so does not compensate for it's worse aspects aswell... if you know what i mean... or am i talking rubbish again?
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Your talking rubbish again :D
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I'm, just kidding. ;)
Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I can look him in the eyes and go 8O - bleeeeurk go away you hideous thingie!
SLATFATF...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

YES!!!! Well said!!!
And, Hi -- you are not talking nonsense at all. I am in complete agreement with you. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Earlier I used to be like "Jar-Jar Binks must die!", but now I have realized that he is not the problem at all. He is just the most visible symbol of the problem. Some people have mentioned the Ewoks, and I agree that they might be another symptom.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Ylva Kresh wrote:I can look him in the eyes and go 8O - bleeeeurk go away you hideous thingie!

:LOLS:
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

I like the ewoks!!!

Pie and Cake
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Ylva Kresh wrote:I can look him in the eyes and go 8O - bleeeeurk go away you hideous thingie!
:lol: 8)
I am not Joan
Ramen

Post by I am not Joan »

Jar Jar must die. :-x
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

I agree that the creation of Jar-jar was nothing more than to insert a cutesy character for the kiddies as well as the mini-greedo that was a friend of Annie! TOMORROW TOMORROW!
That Lucas took what was ordinarily a well rounded series and geared it for kids to bug their parents at the toy shelves in the stores so that merchandizing (which Lucas made far more money at than all the films combined) can go full tilt boogie on our pocketbooks.
Jar-Jar must indeed DIE DIE DIE! As for doing an on the spot imitation... try saying : Mesa Horny and do it with a straight face.

The Ewoks were badly portrayed and the tv special worsened the effect. They're supposedly fierce fighters and unfortunately not given their due at the Battle of Endor Scene in ROTJ.

I recall reading an interview with Harrison Ford about his (SOLO) relationship with Chewbacca. Ford knew that the big hairy oaf could be intimidating to the wee ones that would watch the film thus he and (the late) Peter Mayhew decided as actors to show that Chewie was only dangerous to the bad-guys. Case in point: A.N.H. After Obi-wan Kenobi leaves Luke, Han and Chewie in the control room of the first death star alone the scene plays out like this
Chewie: Growls and grunts
Han walking over to Chewie and leaning against him like a lamp-post and saying: Boy you said it Chewie, Where did you dig up that old fossil?

Han was comfortable enough to do this with a trusted friend. They carried it further in the subsquent films later. A good acting decision from both of them.

My ire is also casting a ten year old boy as the young Anakin Skywalker.
Clearly in the original (first) film Obi-wan speaks of Anakin as an equal...as an adult when they first met, "...a good friend." In the Phantom Menace you can see that Obi-wan looks at him as a little kid because that's what he is. Then in the Attack of the Clones he's treating him exactly as a surly teenager/student... no close friendship there at all. How the hell are they going to develop that in the third (final???) installment is going to be a challenge...especially since Annie is supposed to go all bad and mean and work his way to being ole' Vader. I mean he is going to have to have screen time to kill every last Jedi before he confronts Kenobi. And oh please GOD do not have Anakin and Yoda fighting together... pluzzze! :x

This clearly shows to me... that Lucas DID NOT write the original story-line for the whole series. He bought it and bought the author's silence and ran with it. Ergo... Lucas must die because he screwed up a really rilly good thing!
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”