New Article, Colonial History

Those who do not learn history are doomed to use this quote over and over again.

Moderators: danlo, Damelon

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I dunno...everything that is seen as traditional was once invented. But it's invention is not the reason we call it traditional, it's its perseverance.

Eventually of course, the reason for it is forgotten, or distorted. And eventually only the idea of a traditional action will remain...the actual action may be completely different.

--A
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

But the things is, there are few customs which could be considered to have 'perservered'. Granted, I think we'd probably agree that there are some human habits and tendencies which might be adequately described as traditions, but I think these are few. Almost anything that is claimed as a 'tradition' is in fact relatively recent. The success of the invention convinces people that it's a tradition. 'Traditional' Scottish Highland culture is an excellent example of this.

I feel like writing more but I was then about to say 'but we've diverged from the theme of this thread'. Then I realised . . . there is no theme :)
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I think we can exclude anything that stems from a biological imperative, maybe even a sociological imperative, from being considered traditions.

But when I think of tradition, I think of things like "beating the bounds," which has been done since Alfred the Great.

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Don't "traditions" tend to change? For example, one could say traditional Christianity involves baptism, but that baptism is everything from a dunk in the river to a sprinkling of water, and everywhere in between.
Sure, the actual "reason" behind it may be lost, but its execution is not static. As far as I know, we don't end up with cultures like Castle Gormenghast where things are done just because they are done.

Is that what you meant by 'evolving traditions', Montresor?
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “Doriendor Corishev”