A Game of Thrones

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I can be at peace with Jon in the Night's Watch . . . if there were something left to watch. :roll: The Night King is dead. Also, the Unsullied leave Westeros, so why does Jon have to follow through on this? Finally, Jon seems to leave the Wall behind. Does he join the Wildlings? It would be cool if his girlfriend hadn't been killed a few seasons ago.

Bran as king--ok. Fine. But as one article pointed out, why does an all-knowing cripple need a master of whispers?

I like the Small Counsel meeting.

The scene with Jon killing Dany was fantastic. I felt that melting the throne was the beginning of my predictions that they'd stop having kings, or choose them democratically. And when Sam made his suggestion, I thought it was going to happen. But I suppose we got the GOT version of democracy, with the end of nepotism and lord electing Kings, so I call it as a semi-verified prediction.

Other than that, I say redo the entire last season! Someone should start a petition . . . :lol:

[Edit: at least the Ghost complainers can rest easily. This was probably the best of all possible endings for them. ]
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Zarathustra wrote:I can be at peace with Jon in the Night's Watch . . . if there were something left to watch. :roll: The Night King is dead. Also, the Unsullied leave Westeros, so why does Jon have to follow through on this? Finally, Jon seems to leave the Wall behind. Does he join the Wildlings? It would be cool if his girlfriend hadn't been killed a few seasons ago.

Bran as king--ok. Fine. But as one article pointed out, why does an all-knowing cripple need a master of whispers?

I like the Small Counsel meeting.

The scene with Jon killing Dany was fantastic. I felt that melting the throne was the beginning of my predictions that they'd stop having kings, or choose them democratically. And when Sam made his suggestion, I thought it was going to happen. But I suppose we got the GOT version of democracy, with the end of nepotism and lord electing Kings, so I call it as a semi-verified prediction.

Other than that, I say redo the entire last season! Someone should start a petition . . . :lol:

[Edit: at least the Ghost complainers can rest easily. This was probably the best of all possible endings for them. ]
yep. agree on all but the smooch point. heh.

here's what i wrote on an fb thread:

I think everyone got what they "deserved." i'm sorry that the production didn't have a finished product to work from (tho I totally sympathize with slow writers and don't have an iota of animosity for GRRM over it) so I think they did they best they could with what they had to work from. i'm ok with the ending. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more interesting than a knife in the heart after a last smooch, but melting the throne worked pretty well for me. heh. totally loved the last small council scene and laughed out loud. in fact that scene could've gone on a bit longer as far as i was concerned. (ugh, sloppy grammar but whatever, you know what i meant.) :D all in all i'm good with it...now the wait begins to read GRRM's ending. he's got SOOOO much more sh*t to tie up than the show had!!
muwahahahahahahaha

:twisted:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The thing that bothered me about the Night's Watch was that the North is no longer part of the kingdom, so they're kind of at the mercy of Sansa letting them keep that going.

The reason they had to go through with it wasn't because of the Unsullied, but because the Iron Islands and Dorne were still loyal to Daenerys. It was necessary to make peace.

If Jon hadn't gone north of the Wall with the wildlings, it leaves open the possibility of someone who knows who he really is starting shit again, so that's probably the best thing he could've done.

It was a relatively satisfying finale? It feels like the kind of conclusion the books would have come to, but how it got there was rushed through, and it's hard to take Bran as king simply because the Bran of the show is so very unlikeable, and not much work was done to justify why the other lords would choose him.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's actually making me think of the final season of Legend of Korra: It wasn't bad, there was a lot of potential there for the story, but the reduced episode count meant they never quite earned what they were trying to do with it.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I think the backlash from those fans on team Dany probably wanted her to personally reach into Cersei's chest and rip out her heart. Then become the heroine of Westeros that they hoped she'd be but if you are a fan of the show you should have anticipated that neither Jon nor Dany would end up on the Iron throne. I wasn't in the least surprised by the last two episodes. Could the finale have been a bit more spectacular? Yes but the ending we got served well enough for me. Now I want to follow the adventures of Arya Stark in the great unknown.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's the ending that makes the most sense, although I still feel dissatisfied.

What is it about the ending of stories that leaves me feeling empty? I felt the same way at the end of The Last Chronicles.

I agree with Murrin that there's no real Night's Watch any longer. I took it that Jon was going north of the Wall to stay.

I don't in the least understand why Arya felt she needed to leave Westeros. I think that's the biggest disappointment for me, since she has become my favorite character.

I loved the small council too, and I loved Brienne as the Lord Commander and Pod as one of the Kingsguard. Loved that Bronn got what was coming to him finally, but not really sure he's the most qualified Master of Coin.

Surprised to see Sam as a fully qualified maester.

Who were the random men at the dragonpit?
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

All in all I was satisfied with the ending.

About the meeting of the lords of Westeros: The only reason, it seems, that they needed a king was to decide what to do with Jon Snow. Before the Targaryans, there were seven kingdoms, why did they have to go back? Drogon torched the symbol of the old regime. A perfect time for a break.

Sansa, my favorite character and the smartest politician there, understood that. She waited till the others voted and then said the North was going its own way. She won her endgame without blood. The North was free.

They played Grey Worm. As others have pointed out, there was nothing to watch from the wall. Jon riding off with Tormund north of the wall wasn't what they sold him on. But, it was a fitting end for him.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

This is my first real conversation post viewing, so here we go. My wife watched with me, but hasn't been following much at all. The extent of our conversation before she went to bed was "Where did the dragon go?" To which I replied, "I dunno....Honahlee?"
So yeah, as I suspected, I feel a little disappointed. So much just seemed rushed. Tyrion got in some nice words here and there, and most nobody else did. Sam was crapped on yet again, and thankfully so, because I was thinking that would be a pretty dumb ending when it was unspooling, and was a bit relieved when it was laughed down.
My first objection was that Tyrion found his brother and sister so easily in the rubble after overturning just a few rocks. I'd argue that scene never needed to happen. There was so much more stuff falling, but I guess they needed to dispel the rumor of "no bodies, didn't happen" stupidity.
Looks like we got the "Tell me about the rabbits, George" Of Mice And Men moment after all, but with Jon and Dany instead. And it needed to happen. And I wondered if they were going to switch it on us for a few moments, and thankfully, they didn't. But the melting of the throne seemed also a bit needless of a symbolic whatchamacallit.
Bran as king? Unsatisfying. I don't really get what makes someone who can be unstuck in time all that valuable as monarch. And the fact that Tyrion pitched it would have immediately turned off several people there enough to disagree with simply because he was leading the discussion; the one who to a degree orchestrated the demise of their queen. And speaking of Queens, how did Sansa end up with hers being the only independent realm? Because she said so? Because her brother is the king of the other six? That alone would stir the crap of animosity. But we've got to have Sansa on some throne or other, to give a slight bit of a happy ending. At least one person pursuing power got it, which seems to run counter to what the rest of the ending was saying.
I feel a little bad for Jon at the end, but he didn't want power. But was this a bit more what he wanted? To go North with the Wildlings? Was this the intention of returning to Nights Watch? To give him that opening?
After the previous episode, I decided I didn't care enough about the ending to make predictions about the finale, especially since I couldn't really see an ending I would be happy with. And we certainly ended with a compromise - nothing anybody was particularly excited about.
But I do want to see Arya's adventures as she falls off the edge of the world. Or at least visits Drogon who has changed his name to Puff, and then she changes her name to Jackie Paper.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I assumed that Drogon took her body to Valyria.

I wish we could have had a scene where Dany meets Khal Drogo in the afterlife, like she did in her vision. I also wish there had been some recognition from her that her vision about the throne room came true. But maybe that would have undermined her "madness."

Did Drogon approve of Jon's action? He didn't toast him. He got rid of the throne. If he approved, why did he kill all those innocents at Dany's bidding?

I think that Tyrion's prison speech was obviously aimed at us. We cheered Dany on, when we shouldn't have, because she was butchering evil men. I can't decide whether that's bullshit or clever. We accepted the terms that Martin gave us, in order to suspend disbelief for this fictional world. Now, at the end, we're lectured on *our* morality because we liked his characters?? It's our fault that we're surprised by Dany's turn, because we were supposed to have been applying our own moral standards all along? If that's the case, then it *is* bullshit that Theon got redemption, and it's awful that any of us likes Tyrion or hoped for Jaime's redemption.

No, I don't buy it. I think that Dany was sacrificed for shock value and the pretense of a moral lesson. I think that the writers (and perhaps Martin) did her character a disservice. He turned her into a gimmick.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Damelon wrote: They played Grey Worm.
oh! hah! you're absolutely right. that didn't even occur to me! :haha:
of course they did! i'm goin with that. :D
Cagliostro wrote: My wife watched with me, but hasn't been following much at all. The extent of our conversation before she went to bed was "Where did the dragon go?" To which I replied, "I dunno....Honahlee?"
o my everlovin god you are SO FRIGGIN HILARE!! I totally burst out laughing when I saw that!!! :haha: I started planning how to steal pics of you and Carla from fb and make a meme!!! hahahaha!! :haha:

Zarathustra wrote:I think that Tyrion's prison speech was obviously aimed at us. We cheered Dany on, when we shouldn't have, because she was butchering evil men. I can't decide whether that's bullshit or clever. We accepted the terms that Martin gave us, in order to suspend disbelief for this fictional world. Now, at the end, we're lectured on *our* morality because we liked his characters?? It's our fault that we're surprised by Dany's turn, because we were supposed to have been applying our own moral standards all along? If that's the case, then it *is* bullshit that Theon got redemption, and it's awful that any of us likes Tyrion or hoped for Jaime's redemption.

ok just stop it. stop being so damned L O G I C A L!! i'm TRYING to suspend my dang disbelief here!! :haha: I think I've got it all straight in my head and i'm ok with all of it and then you come along and start making complete SENSE dammit!! :P :P :P :P :lol:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Is there really no point to the Night's Watch? The Night King was defeated before. This time, they just took him and a few of his buddies out - the rest of the army was undead. There could be a whole city of White Walkers up there in the uncharted North. It could be another 8,000 years before they attack again. Plus the spell that kept the undead from being able to cross the Wall is broken, and I doubt there's anyone left who can fix that. Certainly not in the Southern realms.

Or maybe I'd just like to think Jon is following a purpose rather than just wandering off into the sunset.

Zarathustra wrote:[Edit: at least the Ghost complainers can rest easily. This was probably the best of all possible endings for them. ]
Hey, your family might be nuts, but a dog will never let you down.

aTOMiC wrote:Now I want to follow the adventures of Arya Stark in the great unknown.
I would watch that.
Damelon wrote:Sansa, my favorite character and the smartest politician there, understood that. She waited till the others voted and then said the North was going its own way. She won her endgame without blood. The North was free.
Yes, her character arc seemed to be one of the 'truest' this season, and I'm glad things ended on a positive note for her. (And I quite enjoyed her telling Edmure Tully to sit down and shut up.)
dlbpharmd wrote:Surprised to see Sam as a fully qualified maester.
Yeah, that seems a little sudden. Certainly he has earned a position on the council, and a number of links to his chain if that's the direction he wants to go - but what about his family? Maesters are supposed to be celibate and whatnot.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, damn, for a second, I thought Z had totally called it. :D

Eh...it wasn't the worst of endings. Whole thing could have been 30 minutes long though.

Didn't think Bran was that realistic a choice though...given all the people at that meeting, no way would everybody have just up and elected him king.

Was surprised it was Jon who did for Danerys though. Obviously he's gone off to be the new King Beyond The Wall. :D

Arya...spent all that time training to be a faceless assassin, never uses it. (Aside, it annoyed me that the face changing in the series required skinning the face of the person you were going to impersonate...wasn't like that in the book.)

Didn't love it, didn't hate it. About the best I can say. :D

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The thing with the Night Watch is, it existed for hundreds of years while nobody knew or believed that the Night King existed, so its continued existence isn't contingent on that. That said, it's very clear Jon isn't joining the Watch, he's going north with the wildlings.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I liked it but agree with the points raised.

I was saddened that Jon was sent to the wall as he had moved on from that. But it was a mercy. He belongs north of the wall .. he would have made a good king imo but he is a northerner. And content with that. I loved the ghost greeting .. beautiful ♥️

I agree Sorus there is still need of a Nights Watch. And tbh theres never been A LOT going on there .. prior to the white walkers raised by the NK surely. So a few years of peace, maybe ... seems like the Watch will be focussed on assisting the wildlings in the first instance. I doubt they need much assistance tbh.

Yes Tyrion found his siblings way too easily .. youd imagine theyd be buried under a lot more debri than a few bricks. So yeah ..

As to the Sam thing .. oh lord I LOLLED .. they supported the breaking of chains but not ALL the chains. I thought that was kinda telling .. we are all base creatures after all .. and if the status quo serves .. why destabilise it kinda. 🤷‍♀️

But very much GOT .. its always been political .. which in GOT has never equated to just or fair outcomes.

In this fantasy setting thems were the realities. Its a ruthless and rather disturbing game.

The Bran thing I was ok with .. but mostly because he didnt want to be king and as Sam said he held the memories of men .. I was pissed with Edmuir .. his alleged EXPERIENCE with statehood 🙄 really? LOL 😂

But I did wonder about Bran. He said thats WHY he came .. cos he knew, had seen that moment. So had he seen that ALL along? Had he known the costs and rolled with them?

I would definitely watch Aryas adventures west of Westeros.

She was the assassin and I was sure shed be the one to dispatch Dany .. but she used her skills in slaying many others. After her Hound moment .. it was like .. in retrospect.. her choosing NOT to continue in THAT role.

She has those skills. She may need them again. All of them. Or not?

Im keen for the spin off shows promised.

I was satisfied with the conclusion to this ... chapter.

Also thought the council meeting was brilliant.. and funny re the government administration issues, the historical record omitted the imp lol 😂 and the brothel debate lol 😂 raised by Bron.

I wasnt thrilled that Bron got his reward as a result of his unreasonable blackmail demand.

I dont think Jaime ever truly redeemed himself ... he set aside a future to return to his past. But it was clear that in GOT redemption wasnt one solitary path .. or one singular morality.

I like that aamof.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Can't help thinking the only reason Arya got to kill the Night King is because they realised they didn't have anything else significant for her to do in this season.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm Murrin wrote:Can't help thinking the only reason Arya got to kill the Night King is because they realised they didn't have anything else significant for her to do in this season.
Could be, good point.

I really wanted her to put on Littlefinger's face, infiltrate the Red Keep, and kill Cersei.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

First comment: Tyrion got MVP in that last episode, unequivocally. He was the only one to stand up to Daenerys after her war crimes. He persuaded Jon to do what he needed to do. He steered the Grand Council to nominate Bran as King. And then he capped it off by leading the rebuilding of K's Landing. When they toyed with the idea of making Tyron king ... I trembled.

Second: When Tyrion found Cersei and Jaime, I was on the edge of my seat waiting for Cersei to blink and groan 'where am i?' Would Tyrion strangle her if she did? Would the prophesy have any meaning after all? Alas.

Third: Arya isn't leaving to get away, she's leaving to test herself and fulfill her ambitions. That's not sad. Also: there's the sequel!

Four: Jon is definitely ditching the Night's Watch and joining the Wildlings. He will probably be their King in short order.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Zarathustra wrote:Bran as king--ok. Fine. But as one article pointed out, why does an all-knowing cripple need a master of whispers?
My theory is that he's going to try to warg with Drogon - which would give him eyes and a way to eliminate potential threats in the greater realm. There's no reason he couldn't be a spider on the wall in the city, but I think he has limited interest in petty intrigue and whatnot at this point.
dlbpharmd wrote:Who were the random men at the dragonpit?
Representatives of the Vale and Dorne.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It took me a long while after the episode to realise the young guy there was actually Robin Arryn. I had no idea. The Dornish prince was never given a name in the show, even when he appeared here. I still don't remember who the guy sat next to Edmure was.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm Murrin wrote:It took me a long while after the episode to realise the young guy there was actually Robin Arryn. I had no idea.
Same. I was even wondering why he wasn't there. I guess my mental image of him is permanently stuck as a creepy 8-year-old kid.
Skyweir wrote:I agree Sorus there is still need of a Nights Watch. And tbh theres never been A LOT going on there .. prior to the white walkers raised by the NK surely. So a few years of peace, maybe ... seems like the Watch will be focussed on assisting the wildlings in the first instance. I doubt they need much assistance tbh.
I'm disappointed that there wasn't more back story to the White Walkers. Way back (was it in the first season?) they showed the Night King basically assimilating a human baby and turning him into a White Walker, then they never mentioned that again. Presumably, all of his generals or whatever were assimilated by him and that's why their lives were tied to his the same way as the undead. But what was their motive? Was it really just death to life? Why?

Return to “TV Shows”