What have you DONE in your kitchen today?

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

What have you DONE in your kitchen today?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I figure that a lot of the time spent in our kitchens is not JUST making the food. Some is pre-prep, some is clean-up, and most days I just don't appreciate how much TIME all those mundane little things require.

Also, I'm hopeful that I can randomly learn a few things if people mention things that "of course" they do, but which I would never think of. =)

So here are a few things I've done in my kitchen today:

Clean the GIANT bread bowl, a big pot, and a huge cake pan.
Ask my husband to cut up an icky cantaloupe.
Puree some of the good pieces of said cantaloupe in the food processor for baby.
Remove organs from 7lb of chicken leg quarters.
Spread them out on a pan to thaw instead of baking them tonight as I'd planned to.
Cook rice and curried lentils as my back-up meal.
Allow the baby to investigate an onion.
Sweep up the resulting onion peel scraps.

Hmm.. I should go take some chicken kidneys out to the dumpster soon.. ;)
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Kitteh suggests that maybe some of those chicken kidneys might find a higher calling than being consigned to the dumpster...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i washed the dishes. julie cooked dinner.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Made coffee.

Did the Saturday morning ritual of dispensing a week's worth of everyone's meds.

About to make a batch of Cheesy Pastina for brunch.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:About to make a batch of Cheesy Pastina for brunch.
Unless you changed the procedure, is there a reason why you changed the name of the dish?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Didn't realize the name was sacrosanct. :roll:

Actually, I did make some changes from the way you taught me the dish. Did not cover the pastina while simmering off the liquid. Finished it with a little sour cream...and seriously considered adding a little chopped cilantro. Dam-sel and Dam-et approved of the result, so I guess I did OK.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

The pastina cooked through simmering uncovered? Good to know!

Your dish sounds far richer than what I'm used to. I probably wouldn't add milk to that, like I do my own serving.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Yesterday I prepared 3+ gallons of golden beef stock and the same amount of a rich brown veal "jus". I let them stand cold over night. Today I degreased them (which is easiest when the fat is cold and solid.)

I just put the beef stock into the freezer (some of it in ice trays). I'll now let the veal jus boil down for hours until it gets all concentrated, almost like jelly. A teaspoon of that will be enough to turn any sauce into something really special.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Poor Linna. She's trying to get everybody to talk about the stuff they do in the kitchen *besides* cook, and everybody's ignoring her. ;)

Here's my kitchen chore list from this morning:

Opened a can of Fancy Feast; spooned half of it into a bowl for Kitteh and put it on the floor so Kitteh would shut up already; covered the can and put it in the fridge for Kitteh's dinner
Got a 16-oz. glass of water to accompany my morning pages
Pulled a frozen dinner (Lean Cuisine Szechuan-Style Stir Fry with Shrimp, if you must know :P) from the freezer for lunch; encased it in a ziploc bag so it doesn't leak all over the inside of my backpack; put it on the breakfast bar
Halved and seeded a red bell pepper; bagged the halves in ziploc baggies; put one in the fridge and one in my lunch bag
Put a container of Greek yogurt in the lunch bag
Put a banana in the lunch bag
Put the lunch bag on the breakfast bar to be popped into my backpack with the frozen dinner
Extracted a clean bowl from the dishwasher, filled it with cereal and milk, got a spoon from the drawer
Put dirty bowl and spoon in the sink and water glass on the counter

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Straining broth is not exactly cooking. Technically it's like opening a can or cleaning the floor.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Hrmph. I did address non-cooking activities until the inquisition into my heresy of changing the name of a dish I metioned that I was planning to make.

This morning (much like any other):
  • Poured OJ and took Dam-sel her morning meds.

Portioned out kibble for the two Feline Overlords.

Made coffee, a task made more complex by the need for access to water tap; ended up rearranging sink of dishes not done last night by Dam-et.

Packaged up planned-overs, yogurt, clementines, Snapple and a granola bar for Dam-sel's lunch.

Rinsed and drained some bluets to top breakfast cereal.

Got out of the way while Dam-et made his breakfast.

Poured coffee, putting it and the bowl of bluets on table just in time for Dam-sel's breakfast.

Had my own cereal, bluets and coffee once I got them out the door for the day.

Sighed over the sink of still-undone dishes. Contemplated a general strike if they were still there when it was time to start dinner. Yeah, right. Like that would work...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
pippin
Servant of the Land

Post by pippin »

Not sure if this is in the spirit of the thread...

Today I taught my 9-year old daughter the secret to lovely pastry - before rubbing the fat into the flour, meditate on your fingertips: visualise them being light, nimble, and above all cold

So we stood there in the kitchen, OMing, Rosie giving me that look... But you know what - it works :D
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

I have done
nothing.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

fired an inmate for having two (water) bottles full of prison alcohol.

oh - did you mean my home kitchen?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger

aliantha wrote:Poor Linna. She's trying to get everybody to talk about the stuff they do in the kitchen *besides* cook, and everybody's ignoring her. ;)
Haha. Nahhh, no sympathy for me... I think I -actually- started this thread for the very self-serving reason that I wanted encouragement for all the kitchen tasks that aren't cooking but somehow had the audacity to demand the use of my hands. (!!!)
(I felt somehow cheated when I discovered how much time they really require.)

Also, I am -LOVING- some of these amusing comments! Wow, sarge... lol!

And pippin- discussions of stuff done with kids in the kitchen is meant to be part of the spirit of the thread! Or is now! You did something more valuable than just making a pie crust!

Lorin- well, if you're in the right place for it, this might be the inspirational video for you!
www.flylady.net/pages/jumpcut_video1.asp
(and yes, it mentions "faith" and "hope" but with FlyLady it's often in the vague and generic senses of the words!)
Also, since i just reviewed that FlyLady shiny sink video, now I wanna go and clean something... random... in my kitchen. =)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Made a big jar of dry rub.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

at work - ending up having to cut some watermelons for ramadan. (did that myself)

power was out for a bit - so had to have an i/m hand crank the rotary oven to get the baked chicken out.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Made some more dry rub. This time tried something for Memphis style ribs (being served dry without glazing or sauce). I'm planing to get some pork ribs done on indirect heat the day after tomorrow - preferably country style ribs which I love.

It's a bit of a last dry run for the dry rub (pun!) since August 20 will be the first day at school for the Vadress and we're gonna have a "southern style BBQ" with the whole family (aunts, uncles and the whole bunch) to celebrate it.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

had a frank conversation with my young c/o about how his constant ****-ups can affect me. then surprised him by admitting i had asked him to be transfered to my shift so i can help him keep his job. (he has a wife and two very young children)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Linna Heartbooger

BTW, -loved- that one, sarge! (for multiple reasons)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"

Return to “The Galley”