Morn's Motivation...

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Morn's Motivation...

Post by Holsety »

Spoiler from book 2 (Forbidden Knowledge)
Spoiler
Was Morn's motivation to have Davies as a child explained beyond the maternal instinct?
Kirnus
Servant of the Land

Post by Kirnus »

I always assumed it was the need for company - and to preserve what she had killed.

I think she says to some extent at one point that she killed her whole family, she couldn't kill Davies too.

The maternal aspect really took a back seat.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I dunno...she intended to abort him for quite a while, but could never bring herself to do it. Then, of course, she also thought it gave her some leverage against Nick.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Kirnus wrote:I always assumed it was the need for company - and to preserve what she had killed.

I think she says to some extent at one point that she killed her whole family, she couldn't kill Davies too.

^^^THIS.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cord Hurn wrote:
Kirnus wrote:I always assumed it was the need for company - and to preserve what she had killed.

^^^THIS.
That, plus other things. There is some instinct [I'm pretty wary of "maternal instinct" for a number of off-topic reasons---lets say "reproductive instinct??"]
It's a goal and path of resistance to those with power over her.
An assertion/proof-to-self that she retains some power/choices of her own.
And mostly it's an anchor/sign that she can still be good/human.
That she can be good, and produce good even if she is falling/failing.
It might even be argued that she sees it as a kind/possibility of redemption for her. [redemption seems a popular topic around the Watch---it seems relevant to me here].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Post by Avatar »

Having just read this, although there are some pages of exposition, it boils down to "she killed her whole family, so she wants more family."

Interestingly in literally mid thought she suddenly starts referring to him as Davies. Obviously it's deliberate, but there's no warning at all. In one line its the foetus, in the next he's Davies.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Avatar wrote:Having just read this, although there are some pages of exposition, it boils down to "she killed her whole family, so she wants more family."
But that's actually quite complex for a motivation, although it might seem intuitive.

+ to affirm life in order to counter the guilt/pain of death
+ to refuse/oppose further killing/death, especially of family
+ to preserve the family as an ongoing lineage
+ to re-create a family as a group of people who love/trust/support her
+ to redeem herself for her crimes/faults
+ to improve her self-worth
+ to demonstrate control of her destiny

Vraith touched on these, but I tried to expand on it. You can tie it all together and call it "wants more family", but I think that's not doing it justice.

However, I don't think this is morbidly different from any woman's desire to have a child. There's nothing here that is perverse or untoward. However, Morn's extreme situation has made these responses extreme in themselves.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

wayfriend wrote: However, I don't think this is morbidly different from any woman's desire to have a child. There's nothing here that is perverse or untoward. However, Morn's extreme situation has made these responses extreme in themselves.
Heh, I can go with that, mostly. A woman getting into a car and taking it for a spin is just "normal" in some of the world---in others it is risking death, and even a revolutionary act.
This is a step up from that, of course.
Some of the forces/factors imposed on her aren't part of the normal family life-cycle/environment---but they aren't unheard of either, especially in the underworld/gangland milieu. [[heh---it seems funny to use language like "milieu" in connection with the vile and violent...the "let them eat cake" of lit. discussion.]]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Post by Avatar »

wayfriend wrote:However, Morn's extreme situation has made these responses extreme in themselves.
Definitely agree. And of course, I was seriously over-simplifying.

--A

Return to “The Gap Series”