Behold! Orb, Sceptre, Throne!

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

aliantha wrote:It'll be interesting to see whether the title spelling is Americanized when it's released here. (I.e., scepter instead of sceptre.)
According to Amazon, yes.

And that is why I ordered it from the Queen's country, where they spell things properly (thinges)

Oh, and I got it yesterday! Hooray!
Avatar: Hey! I just got it also!
Now, I just need wait until the end of the day to read its goodness...
................ :-x
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Hmmm... Still waiting for mine to arrive.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Damn it, mine was supposed to arrive tomorrow, and now I see it's status is "potentially delayed."

Anyway, I gotta read TCG before I can start it. Got sucked into the game I'm playing, so still on DoD.

--A
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Not quite a couple hundred pages in yet. So many threads, it's hard to know where it's all going. But the tyrant has already appeared. At least I assume that's the tyrant. heh.

It's really great seeing some of these characters again. And we're learning more about the Seguleh, which I'm very excited about. Esslemont's boldest move is making Antsy a pov character! :lol:
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Finished Book I. This is turning into a very enjoyable book. Even the Spawns storyline is very enjoyable. Secret agent Kruppe is great, it's also nice to have Rallick back. Thus far, it has a very nice balance of horror, mystery, and humour. If it continues like this, it could easily become Esslemont's best book to date.
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

400 of 600 pages. I gotta say, it's very slow-paced. Too many threads, and all are going too slow. I'll be remarkably surprised if all the parts of this journey or that construction job turn out to be vital when all's said and done. Too much fleshing out.

Some great stuff, though!

**SPOILERS**

Always fun to see Topper. For me, he was always just a weird side character, until he took on Cowl. I hope he turns out to be seriously deadly now.

The Seguleh are intereseting. I can't wait to see how the different stories come out. Especially, of course, with Dasem!

Antsy is very cool. Which is odd. He was always such a dope in the other books. Which is odd. How can a Bridgeburner not be extremely competent? Much better now, even though he hasn't been tested much yet.

And Tayschrenn! I sure hope he... Well, you know. heh
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Odd, I think this is his fastest paced novel yet.

There is a lot going on, though. And a lot of cameos.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Let it be known that I, Orlion, am the first on the Watch to finish Orb, Sceptre, Throne! Thus it is written!
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Let it be known that...

Doh!

Well, that was some crazy-ass stuff! I'm happy everything did, indeed tie in together. :lol:
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Great to learn about the ancient history of all that stuff. Some very interesting things. The Seguleh were Darujhistan's army?? Crazy! And we get at least a mention of why the Moranth had a grudge against Pale all the way back in GotM.

Dassem... Makes perfect sense that he'd become the First. But it sure would have been nice to see him swing a sword even once in the damned book!! :lol:

Tayschrenn...!! He's now K'rul?? It was K'rul's tomb way down there? The undead Seguleh were its guardians? Seguleh have been around that long? And Tay merged with it?

Why did Vorcan chain herself up?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

THIS IS THE ONLY WARNING I'M GIVING IN THIS THREAD EVER! SPOILERS AHEAD!

Yeah, T'Renn, I think, just took K'rul's job. Wasn't K'rul in the Crippled God in the end?.... or is that actually T'renn? 8O

I think it also explains why Moranth actually wear all that armour, I mean, how would you respond if the Segulah were your natural enemies? It's like everything the Moranth did was to survive against the Segulah.

I thought Vorcan chained herself to prevent herself from being used by the Tyrant like Baruk was.

Also, the Tyrant being human seems to imply something about what may be going on in Assail. It's like they saw what Raest was doing and thought they could do it better. Of course, this also seems to imply they are able to use Omtose Phellick... which is strange in of itself, I wander if it is just a Warren/Hold based on the Jaghut Warren much like how Tellan is based on the Warren of the Tiste Liosan?
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Yeah, makes sense about Vorcan.

Maybe the Tyrant just took whatever being was most powerful in the area?

K'rul was surely in need of rejuvenation. Tayschrenn was always Perry cool, though, so glad to see him get the job. Heh
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Maybe K'rul is renewed that way from time to time? That could explain why there's a tomb for an elder god when I wouldn't expect any such thing.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Onos T'oolan wrote:Great to learn about the ancient history of all that stuff. Some very interesting things. The Seguleh were Darujhistan's army?? Crazy!
Guess you forgot the mentions in an earlier book? IIRC some ancient character who didn't realise times had changed talked about it when Darujhistan was mentioned (comments about Seguleh and the Tyrant that confused the other characters present) but I forget which book it was in.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Murrin wrote:
Onos T'oolan wrote:Great to learn about the ancient history of all that stuff. Some very interesting things. The Seguleh were Darujhistan's army?? Crazy! And we get at least a mention of why the Moranth had a grudge against Pale all the way back in GotM.
Guess you forgot the mentions in an earlier book? IIRC some ancient character talked about it when Darujhistan was mentioned (comments about Seguleh and the Tyrant that confused the other characters present) but I forget which book it was in.
I'm assuming Toll the Hounds. That seems about right, anyway :?
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

:lol: Well, I've forgotten more obvious things than that.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

My first thought was TtH because of Darujhistan, but I actually think it might have been one of the characters that left Genabackis after GotM who mentioned having been there and triggered the exchange.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Woohoo, finally arrived yesterday. :D Back soon. ;)

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Avatar wrote:Woohoo, finally arrived yesterday. :D Back soon. ;)

--A
Finished before you! :|
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Me too.

Of course, you'll finish your fifth reading of the series before I finish my second.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”