2011 - The Year of the "Real Life"

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

2011 - The Year of the "Real Life"

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So, I've been noticing it in myself a lot recently, and in a lot of the other elder GT Mods: we're damned busy this year. And it shows on the really slow update frequency of the games. And I know that I feel a little bad for my own slowness, though as a player I'm happy that Xar and [Syl] got such awesome stuffs going on and can't come update us. But its not just the Mods; a bunch of the players have vanished here and there, too.

So, to pass the time, I thought I'd just throw a conversation thread out there.

What's everybody been doing, this year? Been too busy away from the Watch to come out and play? Share a story. Just say HI.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I took a trip yesterday to see a Dia de los Muertos exhibit at a local museum of anthropology, and while checking out that and some other things, it kind of got the creative juices flowing again. I don't think we'll be going back to Acropolis 1.0, but once I know what I'll be doing in the foreseeable future, I think I'll start up a full-fledged Acropolis 2.0.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*sigh*
Just when the city was officially named and all... ;)
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Can we continue using our previous deities? I'd much rather explore Nyx further, than start all over again.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I doubt it. The universes will not be contiguous, and part of the registration process will not only be presenting your origination story but interweaving it into the overall creation myth. For once, I would like all players to truly be part of the same pantheon, and that includes the same lineage.

That doesn't mean your character can't be named Nyx or have a very similar personality, but they won't be the same character (not exactly, anyway). Just as deciding to name your character Loki and make him a trickster would make him the actual Loki... if that makes sense.

Besides, I think I'm going to be seriously tweaking the domain system. If I decide to let characters choose a domain, it won't work the way it always has in the past.

The idea is to make players gods -- not just uber-beings with very strong, very themed spells. There will be a more immediate connection to both the world and to the other gods (for better or worse, on both counts). No more easy alliances and rivalries, no more limited (or equally obvious) solutions to a given problem.

It will be complex (more as a GM than a player, but there will be a learning curve for everyone) but worth it.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Yeah, I was more thinking of an entirely new Goddess named Nyx, who uses the same login, and rules night / darkness / that stuff.

I know Fist likewise wants to play an entirely new God named Surya, who uses the same login, and rules day / light / sun.

In fact, he and I were texting about it a bit...

I was thinking that in terms of worldbuilding, it'd be kind of interesting if it wasn't just an Earth-clone world. Put a ring around the planet... have us living on the moon of a gas giant, which is visible in the sky... let there be several moons, each on different cycles, or several suns with weird overlapping days... have some kind of Darksun that's always opposite the sun, and it casts darkness (as a thing, not just the absence of light) onto the world. Break physics in some way that would make equally as interesting, but new-to-us deific paradigms for people to invent. Nothing that grants advantage to the player of that God, but creates a really interesting quirk.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

[Syl] wrote:It will be complex (more as a GM than a player, but there will be a learning curve for everyone) but worth it.
Oh yes, because your other games were so simple to get the hang of, right? ;) :LOLS:

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

[Syl] wrote:It will be complex (more as a GM than a player, but there will be a learning curve for everyone) but worth it.
Oh yes, because your other games were so simple to get the hang of, right? ;) :LOLS:
^what he said^
...but having Syl as a GM is worth the pain of learning.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

working six days a week - hardly time for the board...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Avatar wrote: Oh yes, because your other games were so simple to get the hang of, right? ;) :LOLS:

--A
Hey, no one ever said being a god is easy. :mrgreen:
-George Steiner
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Gods and succubi
May not be easy to play
Even when typecast

Let us not niggle
About the difficulties
Of playing Syl's games

Return to “Gravin Threndor”