Vampire: Dark Ages - Act III - Scene 1: The Road to Coeris

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Hrm. Not directly. According to theologians I have spoken to, for this is not my own area of study, the stories of the Fall are... muddled. Most argue that the events of the Morningstar's Fall and rebellion happened after Caine's exile. Or maybe at the least, the rebellion was happening during the time Caine was in Nod. As I say... nothing much is very clear on the subject. However, for our purposes, the historical details aren't as important as the knowledge of the lineage of blood."

"Caine's blood is the source. As you were made a cainite, so were his childer, the second generation. Their own mortal blood was removed and his was added instead. They in turn handed down Caine's blood to their childer, who passed it to theirs, and on down to those vampires you have met."

"With every passing, the blood becomes weaker. Farther from Caine. And so, expect that any vampire you meet of the fifth generation will be stronger in you, simply by dint of his closer proximity to Caine."

"On the other hand, all of us grow stronger over time. As with our mortal selves, we learn and we learn. So, while a recently embraced Lasombra of the 4th generation is stronger in the blood than a thousand year old Gangrel of the 8th. So, do not jump to conclusions."

"In our world, what really matters is those of the 3rd generation, the founders of the clans. Any older or stronger are long-since dust, and their intentions are meaningless. But the clans and bloodlines mean everything to the brood of Caine."

"Any Tzimisce you encounter will hate you for your clan. Any Salubri you encounter will fear you. The Lasombra and the Toreador will always be jockying for position against each other, and both will ignore a Ventrue. And all of this only because of which progenitor they claim."
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Zeigenmörder wrote:"Hrm. Not directly. According to theologians I have spoken to, for this is not my own area of study, the stories of the Fall are... muddled. Most argue that the events of the Morningstar's Fall and rebellion happened after Caine's exile. Or maybe at the least, the rebellion was happening during the time Caine was in Nod. As I say... nothing much is very clear on the subject. However, for our purposes, the historical details aren't as important as the knowledge of the lineage of blood."

"Caine's blood is the source. As you were made a cainite, so were his childer, the second generation. Their own mortal blood was removed and his was added instead. They in turn handed down Caine's blood to their childer, who passed it to theirs, and on down to those vampires you have met."

"With every passing, the blood becomes weaker. Farther from Caine. And so, expect that any vampire you meet of the fifth generation will be stronger in you, simply by dint of his closer proximity to Caine."

"On the other hand, all of us grow stronger over time. As with our mortal selves, we learn and we learn. So, while a recently embraced Lasombra of the 4th generation is stronger in the blood than a thousand year old Gangrel of the 8th. So, do not jump to conclusions."

"In our world, what really matters is those of the 3rd generation, the founders of the clans. Any older or stronger are long-since dust, and their intentions are meaningless. But the clans and bloodlines mean everything to the brood of Caine."
Falling in to pilpul mode, the Jewess counters, "Morningstar? Do you mean הילל, from Isaiah? He was a Babylonian king, not an angel, nor even archangel.

"I am asking about Samael, one of the seven archangels. His fall occurred with his mating with Lilith, and subsequent seduction and possible impregnation of Eve.

"If the lineage of blood matters, would it not be even more potent if from an archangel, than from the first man?"
Zeigenmörder wrote:"Any Tzimisce you encounter will hate you for your clan. Any Salubri you encounter will fear you. The Lasombra and the Toreador will always be jockying for position against each other, and both will ignore a Ventrue. And all of this only because of which progenitor they claim."
The Healer's eyes widen. "You mention a clan or bloodline you didn't mention as one of the thirteen. I believe I heard them mentioned in passing while in captivity, but I am still mostly in the dark regarding them. Who are the Salubri, and why will they fear me?"
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
Rishon, tishtadel l'azor,
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

Above all else, hasten to help.
And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

In the darkened wagon, the man looks frustrated. "As I said, I am no theologian. Caine's mortal lineage means little to the tale, unless such interests you. And if so, I would be happy to introduce you to scholars in that field once your basics are complete. What matters for the purpose of this discussion is that for whatever reason, Caine chose... chose to stand apart from the Creator. As a result of that choice, and then the subsiquent choices when he rebuffed the angels, he was cursed. Those curses are passed down through his blood to his childer. The idea of choice is very important to some vampires."

"And as for the Salubri, that is another tale. But one tied up very closely with the history of our clan. They hate us... I should say hated us, because we utterly destroyed them. To the last one, they are gone now."

"So... when I speak of the clans, and each having a founder of the 3rd generation, know that our clan is the Tremere, and our founder is Tremere himself, of the 3rd generation. But know also that our blood is NOT derived from Caine's. Not exactly."

"One of Caine's progeny begat a man named Saulot, who was of the 3rd generation. The members of his clan are named the Salubri. They practiced demon worship and dark magics, though also claimed to be holy warriors and healers. I myself have seen only three Salubri in my many centuries, and each of them seemed only like scared vampires about to be executed. None called on their dark masters, nor did any call on God. So, believe what you will of them."

"Then, some time ago, there were a group of mortal mages, members of the Orden Hermeticus, or the Order of Hermes. Through their magics, they had lived long and long again, as old as even some of the older cainites, they claim. But, they sensed that magic in the world was weakening. The magic of mortals, at any rate. So, they saw that they eventually might die. And, more importantly, they might lose their power. For when you have bent the very world to your whim... it is not so easy to watch yourself die."

"They were from near here, in Romania, so they captured a handy vampire... one of the Tzimisce clan, it turns out, though they knew little enough about the nuances of cainite culture at the time. And they experimented on the poor thing. But eventually, they discovered how to become vampires. And not simply how to pass on Caine's curse from that wretched thing in the dungeons... but how to create the curse anew in themselves. And they did."

"Now, whatever else the wretched specimin was, he was a vampire of the 4th generation. And so were they. But they were few. And even when they began embracing their mortal fellows, they were scholars and wizards, not warriors. This is important because the other Tzimisce found out the fate of the wretch, and they grew angry."

"The Tzimisce are constantly fighting. At the time, the mortal Tremere knew only that these seemingly immortal vampires were constantly at each others' throats, yes? Who would notice if one vanished? But, as with all families, for what is a clan but a family, they will war amongst themselves but quickly pull close when an outsider steps in. This was the Tremere's mistake, and they began to suffer for it."

"As I said, they were not warriors, but the Tzimisce, now united against them (except for the occassional blood feud), were quite adept at war. Perhaps you have seen their Zulo form? That is nothing compared to their battle ghouls, or the horrible Vozhd... twenty or thirty men, fused together into a single monsterous... thing. They can topple castle walls, pluck archers from towers... we were not prepared for this."

"So, some of us scholars put our minds to war. We learned quickly, and we developed defenses to hide from them, and we bent the elements against them. Fire is particularly useful. And, we created the gargoyles. Like my friend there by the door, huge brutes who can fight like any Tzimisce, but obey our wills. It was a start. But it only slowed their advance, for they had numbers. Oh, the numbers."

"Also, the creation of the gargoyles required... resources. Those came from captured Tzimisce, in fact. However, it turns out that those we captured came also from the Gangrel and Nosferatu clans. Once that was discovered, we had all three clans attacking us. Still dominantly the Tzimisce, but powerful members of the other two clans joined in the war."

"What was needed was legitimacy. We were only a small bloodline, you see. The other clans thought we were interesting, but they mostly just enjoyed the idea of the Tzimisce fighting amongst themselves. For that is all they thought of us, an offshoot of that clan."

"We needed allies. We needed armies of other vampires on our sides. The Ventrue especially were very keen on attacking the Tzimisce, but until they considered us a real force, they would not treat with us. Bloody foolishness, really. They call themselves Kings and nobles, and will not treat with you without a title of your own. Bah."

"So... you have heard of Diablarie, yes? I'm sure Hardestadt and his committee lectured you about the dangers of feeding on another cainite. The danger is that you consume that vampire's Soul. And gain some of their powers. You can even raise yourself up to a higher generation that way, if the cainite's blood is stronger than yours. This is considered a crime amongst vampires, because... well... otherwise, all of the childer would rise up and slay their elders. So of course they punish it harshly. Nonetheless, it is effective, if you can avoid punishment."

"You see where I am going with this, yes? The eldest Tremere decided that they must hunt down and consume one of the original 3rd generation cainites. By taking its power and blood, the Tremere would rise to the status of a clan, could then treat with other clans to gain allies, and gain some defense from our attackers."

"So, they discovered the locations of several of the 3rd generation, and chose Saulot. He seemed the weakest and least defended. He was asleep, and had been for centuries. So, Tremere himself went to Saulot's hiding place, and consumed him."

"After that, we treated with the Ventrue, and then with this silly committee of Hardestadt's, to involve the other clans. The Ventrue of Germany are now invading Hungary and Romania, which puts the Tzimisce on the defensive. We provide the attackers with our magic, and they allow the battles to be away from our strongholds. Also, through our alliances, we are able to spread our clan out through the rest of Christendom. We have envoys in Paris, Vienna, Hamberg, with plans for many more. Soon, the Tzimisce will be no real threat to us, because we will be nowhere near them, surrounded by armies of Ventrue... and then, finally, we will be able to resume our studies in peace."

"For the power of Caine's curse is not growing weaker. Other than by violence, we are in no danger of dying ever. This is the perfect state from which to study the nature of the world, and then to harness it."

He pauses, reflecting on what he's said. "Oh, yes. You had asked about the Salubri. We let it be known among our new allies that the Salubri were the worst kind of demon worshipers... they may well have been so, for all we know. Stories were conflicting on the topic. They were a small clan to begin with, and we hunted them down. Mostly we had our allies hunt them down, but the final result is the same... they are all gone, now."

"Whenever the Tremere gather together, there will always be rumors of a Salubri seen here or there, or of one destroying whole chantries in far off places. But none have ever been proven. We have lost no chantries, except to the Tzimisce. The Salubri are dead."
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Seeing she will get no further answers regarding her curiosity about Cain's ancestry for now, Alína returns her attention to what she is being taught.

"So, the originators of our clan are thieves and liars? They stole the source of clan-hood from another clan, and then spread unverified tales regarding that clan to assure their destruction?

"And we harness the life of others to our own purpose, in forcing the change on Tzimisce and others in to Gargoyles, who then have no choice but to obey our commands?

"I embrace study and learning, but...

"Surely even in this case, the end does not justify the means..?"
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"I think they would prefer to call themselves 'conquerors', but it's all a matter of semantics. I am less concerned with why they did what they did, and more with what implecations those decisions have towards my studies of the blood."

"And as for justification... here I absolutely agree with our founders: I reject the entire philosophical framework that requires justification. We do it because we want to do it. Some of us for power over others, some of us for power over the natural world, some of us for revenge, some for even stranger reasons. Love and other foolishness. The Tzimisce, the Gangrel, the Ventrue... all of us only do anything exactly because we want to. And perhaps you can delve into why some particular person wants some particular outcome, but motivations do not concern me."

"And when you are released to your own devices, you may choose whichever path you wish, based on your own moral or ethical codes. My job is only to teach you how, I cannot be responsible for your decisions to enact my teachings."

"Even your JHVH, when He bade the man and the woman not to eat of the fruit, showed them the fruit, told them it could be eaten, left no fence nor guard to stop them, and allowed them to chose. And the burden of that sin is upon them, and not upon Him. So too shall you bear the weight of your own actions, once you are properly informed as to what those actions could be."

"And perhaps, so too shall Tremere and many of his get bear the weight of our actions some day. But that day has not come yet. Not yet."
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Mircea wrote:"I think they would prefer to call themselves 'conquerors', but it's all a matter of semantics. I am less concerned with why they did what they did, and more with what implecations those decisions have towards my studies of the blood."
As one trained in the art of pilpul, and aware of the power in words chosen with which to debate, the Jewess stiffens at this disregard, but forces herself to relax as her tutor continues.
Mircea wrote:"And as for justification... here I absolutely agree with our founders: I reject the entire philosophical framework that requires justification. We do it because we want to do it. Some of us for power over others, some of us for power over the natural world, some of us for revenge, some for even stranger reasons. Love and other foolishness. The Tzimisce, the Gangrel, the Ventrue... all of us only do anything exactly because we want to. And perhaps you can delve into why some particular person wants some particular outcome, but motivations do not concern me."

"And when you are released to your own devices, you may choose whichever path you wish, based on your own moral or ethical codes. My job is only to teach you how, I cannot be responsible for your decisions to enact my teachings."

"Even your JHVH, when He bade the man and the woman not to eat of the fruit, showed them the fruit, told them it could be eaten, left no fence nor guard to stop them, and allowed them to chose. And the burden of that sin is upon them, and not upon Him. So too shall you bear the weight of your own actions, once you are properly informed as to what those actions could be."
May I never have the apparent disregard for the living and unliving my fellows apparently have...
Mircea wrote:"And perhaps, so too shall Tremere and many of his get bear the weight of our actions some day. But that day has not come yet. Not yet."
I have much to learn if one as scholarly as this one proposes such ancient forebears could one day accept the responsibility for the harm they instigated.

Discomforted by Mircea's answer, the Jewess changes the topic of discussion. Looking about her around the cabin she asks, "Are there tomes here I should study while we travel, master? Or will your tutelage be always one-on-one?"

Sending her thoughts outside the carriage towards Dara, she checks in with her familiar. Are you well? I may turn to you for insight and comfort more than usual. While I feel I had no choice but to go and learn how to survive and thrive in this new unlife, there appears to be much I will be most uncomfortable embracing.

To still be "alive" in any form after all that has happened is cause for celebration and thanks to Shechina. But oh, what changes I foresee coming in my minute "knowledge" of Truth.

Help me as you can, I beg you
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Tomes? Oh, I think somewhere I have some scrolls for the basics of Thaumiturgy. But before you can learn to recognize the flavors of the blood, you must know the causes."

In her mind's ear, Alina hears also, Comfort I have for you. But of insight, there can be none. None from me. All of this is anathama to me. But I will perch by you and help keep you strong as you try not to drown in this cursed blood.

Do you feel it, though? I have been studying you. I see now your true spirit locked in that body. But I see also the other. Can you feel it's rage and its hunger? I fear it will win you over, some day. The same way it has won over your teacher.
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

While waiting for her tutor to go on, the healer continued her silent discussion with her familiar.
Dara wrote:Comfort I have for you. But of insight, there can be none. None from me. All of this is anathama to me. But I will perch by you and help keep you strong as you try not to drown in this cursed blood.
Thank you, my sweet. It is a relief and joy to know you will be there.

Her relief wavered as she received the follow-up thought.
Dara wrote:Do you feel it, though? I have been studying you. I see now your true spirit locked in that body.

Mentally nodding, at first Alína smiled inwardly. I am glad to hear you do still see me as I am. Other than the physical changes, I don't see myself as any different.
Dara wrote:But I see also the other. Can you feel it's rage and its hunger? I fear it will win you over, some day. The same way it has won over your teacher.
I am aware of nearly irresistible cravings when I first arise in the evenings, but as I hunt rabbits and other prey with you, they become more manageable. I have lived my entire life following the laws of kashrut. Cravings for traif can be resisted; so can this.

As for the other, I have not been one to rage, not in all my days. Perhaps if I remain serene and calm, it will not gain a foothold.

Are you saying my teacher was once more concerned with ethics and the welfare of others? What do you believe changed him? Perhaps if I learn that, it will empower me to resist a change of the same sort
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Alína Nyárí wrote:Cravings for traif can be resisted; so can this.
You do not resist them, you sate them. You hunt with me, you find ways to feed the hunger that do not break your traditions. I fear the day the hunger is for something not so easily found.
Alína Nyárí wrote:As for the other, I have not been one to rage, not in all my days. Perhaps if I remain serene and calm, it will not gain a foothold.
Consider your company now. I hope you find nothing to terrible as to stir you to action. But if you do... I cannot say how I hope you would react. To stand by and watch in perfect serenity might protect you from rage. To grow outraged and to act in rage might save you from sorrow and regret.
Alína Nyárí wrote:Are you saying my teacher was once more concerned with ethics and the welfare of others? What do you believe changed him? Perhaps if I learn that, it will empower me to resist a change of the same sort[/i].
I do not speak of what he once was, for I have no knowledge of him then. But as to what he is, I do not believe the welfare of others matters to him at all.

Mircea adds, out loud, "Your familiar is nearly correct. Because when the welfare of specific others has bearing on my own welfare, the topic interests me most assuredly. But, I am not accustomed to having my students begin conversations while I lecture. At least have the courtesy of not shouting your thoughts into the aether while you ignore me, yes?"

Before she can answer, Alina feels the wagon begin to more forward (which to her is backwards, as she faces to the rear of the conveyance. "Ah, just so. We are moving to our next location. The boys are instructed to only move us once the first hint of twilight is on the horizon. I will soon return to my slumber, so let us continue this conversation in the evening. We have several days journey to my next errand. There will be time to speak at length."

And true to his word, the elder becomes a corpse. Alina has never felt a vampire at this moment of the dawn before, but it is surprisingly akin to the times she's watched a human die. In her years as a healer, some of her patients couldn't be saved, only helped peacefully into death. There is a moment then, even with her witch's sight, when the animas of the body simply ceases. The spirit is there, the aura is perhaps dim and flickering, but still present. And then... only flesh. Mircea was no different in that moment.

He could hear us? Most strange. And also a bit frightening.
Alína Nyárí
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Alína Nyárí »

Dara wrote:You do not resist them, you sate them. You hunt with me, you find ways to feed the hunger that do not break your traditions. I fear the day the hunger is for something not so easily found.

Consider your company now. I hope you find nothing to terrible as to stir you to action. But if you do... I cannot say how I hope you would react. To stand by and watch in perfect serenity might protect you from rage. To grow outraged and to act in rage might save you from sorrow and regret.
You are referring to responses the beast within may lure me to? Rather than the hunger for blood ruling my choices?

Is there not always other answers to situations rather than rage or violence? May Shechina and you guide me to peaceful alternatives, when rage starts to simmer
Dara wrote:I do not speak of what he once was, for I have no knowledge of him then. But as to what he is, I do not believe the welfare of others matters to him at all.
Alína readies a reply until Mircea interjects.
Mircea wrote:"Your familiar is nearly correct. Because when the welfare of specific others has bearing on my own welfare, the topic interests me most assuredly. But, I am not accustomed to having my students begin conversations while I lecture. At least have the courtesy of not shouting your thoughts into the aether while you ignore me, yes?"
Feeling as if she was blushing furiously, Alína starts to apologize when the wagon starts to move and her tutor departs for the day.

Shuddering at the knowledge of what she must appear like during her daily "sleep," the healer readies to address Dara again when her familiar's thoughts come through.
Dara wrote:He could hear us? Most strange. And also a bit frightening.
Slowly nodding as realization of what happened sinks in, Alína gingerly replies.

I do not know why Mircea chose to begin his rest before I did, but perhaps if this is the norm for him we should save any personal and private communication between us until after he does so.

*yawning mightily*

Although, such conversations will most likely need to be brief, as my urge to rest is overcoming my desire to continue to have you "near" me, even if only in thought.

I am uncertain how much I will be able to check in with you while in his awake presence. I had assumed tonight's lecture was close to being finished; or I would have waited to converse with you.

Be that as it may, do not hesitate to ever contact me if the need arises, Dara. I trust your judgement more than his, and will gladly bear his wrath at interruption should you have need of me.

Boker tov, beloved. I shall return to awareness of you as evening approaches

Settling her back against the wagon as best as she was able, the Jewess closed her eyes and also departed for the day.
ךאשונ תישתדל לעזור
ואז אל תזק
v'az, al tazek.

And then, do no harm.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Alína Nyárí wrote:You are referring to responses the beast within may lure me to? Rather than the hunger for blood ruling my choices?

Is there not always other answers to situations rather than rage or violence? May Shechina and you guide me to peaceful alternatives, when rage starts to simmer
I don't know what I mean. I only know that there is a dark aspect to you, now. And I fear how it will manifest itself. Even if you never rage, but instead grow cold and unfeeling like this one... Dara's voice trails off, as if she is unable to even think the rest of that idea.

Settling her back against the wagon as best as she was able, the Jewess closed her eyes and also departed for the day.

Return to “Vampire: Dark Ages”