Acropolis Discussion

Moderator: [Syl]

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

As a side note, I've had people make connections between some of my PCs because the posting times were similar. e.g. - I'd log into the Watch as Led, update Darkwood, then log in as The Numen, update Pantheon, etc. Not much that can be done to mitigate that, unless you want to set different update times for yourself... which just seems a bit overkill.

So, I guess the info could be found out if someone wanted, but... we have to choose not to look.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

No, Caam. WYSIWYG. You're all allowed to start your own off-site forum if you want, though (you could ask Av for one, but then he'd have to be in your alliance ;)). Just keep me in the loop - not the minutiae or any of that, and I wouldn't need to have access.

Since turns are going to be a month apart, though, I do request that as much inter-deity communication as possible takes place in the game thread.

Ah, and while I'm on the subject... This game is going to be a lot more subtle than Pantheon or Aesir. Stories will have much more importance. Please do not post any narrative in the game thread unless it is explicitly part of your turn submission (or reveal). In those cases however, it's highly encouraged.

I'm tempted to allow small amusements, throw-away pieces, but since the setting is so small, I don't think there's any room for throw-away characters or even events.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

I can see the fun in not knowing who plays whom. Conversely, I'll admit that finding out who's who does hold a certain appeal. (Curiosity being what it is and all.) However, I promise not to make any effort to discover individual God's indentities.

But is it really all that important? Will it make any difference whatsoever, game-wise?
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I believe the whole thing came up partly because the same few players ended up working together, secretly, in both Pantheon 1 and Pantheon 2, despite the changed characters and setting.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Some players' characters are easier to talk to.

*sideways look at Murrin* :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Note to self: Verbosity key to anonymity.
Chime
Stonedownor

Post by Chime »

I know this is a brand new game and we don't know how it will turn out, but how about having some sort of strategy, or long-term, DRP? Maybe once every quarter or half year, being able to steer your church in the direction you want, as opposed to each turn's DRP, which get used for immediate actions or solving problems?
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Like bonus DRP during certain months? I like the idea, perhaps the worshipers of Acropolis are more inclined to sacrifice to Gods in general during certain months?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Like, say, your holy month? ;)

It's an interesting idea, but I think I'm going to pass. I've probably added too many complications as it is. :mrgreen: Besides, I really don't want to add more DRP to the game.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I've reconsidered. Every player who submits every turn for six months will get a special bonus. It may not be DRP, but it will be something similar, something good.
-George Steiner
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

Syl wrote:I've reconsidered. Every player who submits every turn for six months will get a special bonus. It may not be DRP, but it will be something similar, something good.
Could you qualify that just a teeny bit more?

"Every player who submits every turn on time by deadline for six months will get a special bonus." :biggrin:

...please?? :twisted:
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

Chime wrote:I know this is a brand new game and we don't know how it will turn out, but how about having some sort of strategy, or long-term, DRP? Maybe once every quarter or half year, being able to steer your church in the direction you want, as opposed to each turn's DRP, which get used for immediate actions or solving problems?
What about being able to spend DRP across several turns towards a single goal?

So, say I'm the God of War, and I want to make a super awesome army of genetically enhanced cybernetic 30' tall android soldiers. With laser beams. If I happened to have 30 DRP sitting around this turn, I could spend it all right now and just make it happen. But instead, could I spend 3 DRP a turn for say 9 turns to slowly make that happen? No immediate pay-off, and the DRP is certainly spent right away and not recoverable, but with a much bigger result when it finally comes around? (Especially if my unveiling ceremony also falls on my holy day, in my holy month, and the soldiers march across the city and destroy all non-believers.)
Follower of Azver, friend to all in Twinsriver, and person who can get stuff done.
Antaka
Servant of the Land

Post by Antaka »

Excuse me.

If I make this post, I can change my title.
For death begins with life's first breath.
And life begins at touch of death.
Colu
Ramen

Post by Colu »

I need one more...

Oh, I know!
Virelai
Ramen

Post by Virelai »

Antaka wrote:Excuse me.

If I make this post, I can change my title.
My thanks for the reminder.
Krinn
Stonedownor

Post by Krinn »

+1
Follower of Azver, friend to all in Twinsriver, and person who can get stuff done.
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

I hope this is enough to change mine as well.....
Nakhetemet
Servant of the Land

Post by Nakhetemet »

I have changed my avatar to better reflect my god. Ignore the gazelle-headed being; Nakhetemet is a god that is difficult to represent - he can sometimes manifest as a pillar of dust with a vertical, jaundiced eye (such as you see now), or floating conglomeration of gears and cogs, rusting and grinding.
"I am Nakhetemet, Lord of Time. We each measure our lives by the days, the movements of the Celestial Bodies, and by the seasons. What if I were to measure time by the dissolution of everything? What if you were to count your days by how much you have aged, by the number of grey hairs on your head and the wrinkles on your skin? Time is measured as the world turns to dust."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Your rules always terrify me. :lol: I feel lost right off the bat.

But! I'm thrilled!

Investments...
With 1 DSP, Surya could make his HP able to shine 1 DSP's worth of sunlight for nine months.
Or, with 1 DSP, he could turn a rock into a Sunstone that could shine 1 DSP's worth of sunlight for one month.
Or, with 5 DSP's, he could turn a rock into a Sunstone that could shine 1 DSP's worth of sunshine forever.

Is that all correct?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sounds like fun.

--A

Return to “Acropolis”