Which is it? The read, or the reread?

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Which is it? The read, or the reread?

Post by Mr. Broken »

Do you prefer the first read of The Malazan Book of the fallen, or the second, or third as the case may be. Myself I'm torn . The initial read catches you off guard, which I loved, but I spent most of it feeling lost, and plunging headlong. "Wide Eyed Stupid" if you will.
The second time through you are better prepared, details that seemed unimportant , become crucial. Characters forgotten during the first read resurface to also take on new significance . Gods how I hated that little bastard Snell! I can't believe I forgot about him. If the reread lacks anything it would be the gut reactions. A shame that you can only once truly be horrified by something you've read. However the belly laughs remain.
I'm not really sure which I have preferred, perhaps it will be the third.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I've only read the first four books more than once. I've read them three times. I'd say the second was probably the best. Definitely found plenty of stuff I'd missed the first time, or forgotten since. And it's all complex enough that it wasn't anything close to boring for the repetition.

But the third was only slightly less satisfying. I didn't see as much stuff that seemed brand new, and it was still nearly as exciting.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I've done...uh, I don't actually know. Each time I got a new one, I reread all the previous ones. So the first few have obviously been read the most.

I think this is my second or third full re-read, and I can definitely attest to the fact that it gets better. Also, knowing mostly what happens allows you to pay more attention to the details.

--A

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”