Obgoosht and Tadiq

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Obgoosht and Tadiq

Post by deer of the dawn »

I recently read House of Sand and Fog which kept mentioning obgoosht and tadiq, which our Iranian friends had taught us to make when we lived in America. I decided to make them.

The recipe for obgoosht is here, at my semi-abandoned recipe blog (just didn't have time to keep it up): Ab Gusht

For tadiq, cook rice as normal, adding a pinch of saffron if you wish. Open a pita bread and tear off one layer.

Heat olive oil and/or butter in a large pan. When hot, place the pita bread in the oil and immediately dump the hot rice on top. Add a few pats of butter and press the rice down as a cake. Top the pan with a clean cloth and the pot lid such that steam can escape. Turn the heat down and continue to cook for 5 minutes.

Remove the lid and cloth, and cover with a plate; invert and remove the pan. Serve quickly, before the crispy crust starts to get soggy; the crispy topping is so lovely. Our friends also made it with thinly sliced potatoes in place of the bread, and the book suggests that it's just rice; but this is the way we liked it best.

Eat with fresh raw radishes, tops included.

Salaam aleichem.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

That looks nice! And, you have a recipe blog? How fun! I saw a thing or two to make from it- the sort of fallafel and the goat curry. I dont know if I can find the peas you mentioned or goat meat, though.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Goat is freely available here, but you could use lamb intead. :)

I have seen recipes for falafel using soybeans instead and I want to try it using blackeyed peas, which are common here too, whereas garbanzos/chick peas are expensive.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Well, it looks good, but the name sure doesn't sound appetizing.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Return to “The Galley”