Skyrim

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Hey, you're doing your best. It's appreciated. And, you know... *shrug* It's just a game. At the very worst, he'll have this legendary character he once played that he can tell people about. Even I, who only played D&D several times thirty years ago, can be heard waxing lyrical about my monk, Caine. :lol: It'll be the standard against which he measures everything he plays from now on.

And, like I said, I'd been telling him to crank it up a notch, and make it more difficult for himself. Now I'm telling him this was fate's doing, so he'd have to challenge himself. :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Fist,

Unless he deletes every old game after he saves the new one, he should have a fairly recent save he can load. If he opens his account on Xbox live (assuming that is how he saves his material), then goes to Load, it should have a fairly recent save of his which would save him time and again reloading. And as it often autosaves, likely, there are several recent additions to his game.

For what it is worth.

Doc
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The game only uses 3 autosave slots, and it overwrites the oldest one each time. If he always overwrote his old save when making a new one (I do that, I don't want my files cluttered with dozens of save files) then it's not hard to imagine there's no other left.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Overwriting a save file is a rite of passage for RPG'ers not unlike touching a hot stove or live wire.

[old man voice]Back in my day, you also had to worry about holding down reset when you turned the system off.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

LOL. A week ago, I actually sat down and deleted over 300 saves (not auto-saves, obviously) from Skyrim, all the way back to my original opening of the game (I am at 43 now, I think). Fist's son is obviously more organized than I am...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm reading all this to him now. Yeah, he'd been deleting them all, just saving one.

He also says Skyrim has set him free. Lol. And yeah, Syl, he sees your point about a rite of passage. :lol: Still, he's talking about starting again, going about it differently this time.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nah, I like multiple saves. I go back and delete earlier ones when they build up, but I like to have at least 5 or 10 hard saves, (as opposed to quick saves).

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Check me out! I became the Arch-Mage of the College of Winterhold yesterday! :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Excellent Job, Fist. You can get soul gems if you find Toldir (?) ablemic and bring it to him. Once a day...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I am drowning in soul gems. I don't seek them out.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

What's ablemic?
Murrin wrote:I am drowning in soul gems. I don't seek them out.
:lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm assuming he meant an alembic.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I don't know what that is, either.

Ok, just looked it up.

But hell, I'm the Arch-Mage! I'll just command them all to bring me soul gems!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

Murrin wrote:I'm assuming he meant an alembic.
Yep, he is dyslexic with a bad memory...but the Arch Mage too...
8)

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

I finished all the main quest lines at about level 54, so started a new character (level 30 now) to play through a bit differently.

This one's a war-axe and shield Nord. Did the Companions and the civil war quests first this time.

Will probably do one more after this.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I haven't had the opportunity to play in a couple weeks, and won't for at least another. But since I became Archmage, I visited the Greybeards and have all three words of Unrelenting Force. I have maybe four shouts now, but don't seem to be able to use them all yet. Gotta kill more dragons, I guess. I've killed three so far. I'm at level 15 now, iirc.

I also bumped the difficulty level from Adept to Expert. I was just walking into anything, and barely getting hurt before killing them all. Don't know how my son could stand playing for so long at Adept. Anyway, as I've said, it's his game, and I only play it every couple weeks. When he had it home again, and was playing his character, he found out I had accidentally bumped it up to Master, not Expert. He was a bit surprised. Heh. I guess it's down to Expert again, but I haven't played since. I only did a couple things as an Accidental Master, so didn't realize it was THAT much more difficult.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Fist and Faith wrote:I haven't had the opportunity to play in a couple weeks, and won't for at least another. But since I became Archmage, I visited the Greybeards and have all three words of Unrelenting Force. I have maybe four shouts now, but don't seem to be able to use them all yet. Gotta kill more dragons, I guess. I've killed three so far. I'm at level 15 now, iirc.
You earn the words by quests/shrines/whatever. You unlock them and gain the ability to actually use them by absorbing dragon souls and then expending them (on the shout/skill menu if I remember right)

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I'm getting bored of it now...Got one character that's done basically everything, then one who's played as a fighter, one as a thief/assassin, and one as a pure mage.

Levels are 58 / 44 / 37 / 30 respectively.

Now I'm just messing around...used the alchemy / restoration exploit on my fighter to craft a war-axe that does 1000 damage, and armour that gives me a 1500 AC. (Yes, I know damage and armour are capped below that. :lol: )

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

The best part if arguing morality with my son. He said I should join the assassins so I could get the cool horse. I said he's evil for being an assassin. Had to kill the three hostages just to make sure he killed the important one. I killed the lady instead, and destroyed the assassins. My own flesh & blood kills for money! If there was a two-player option, I'd have to kill my own son!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, IIRC, it doesn't matter which one you kill. Any of them will get you in.

That's pretty funny. That's one story-line I've never pursued...destroying the Brotherhood.

Think my Fighter can do it...fits his personality.

(Hahaha, has he decorated the new Sanctuary yet?)

--A

Return to “PC & Console Games”