Time Travel Flicks

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Time Travel Flicks

Post by deer of the dawn »

I watched The Jacket last night and loved it. (In spite of Adrien Brody's abs-- put those things away before someone gets hurt!!) :P

Time travel movies! Do you love some?

Of course, Back To The Future, Planet of the Apes, and the Terminator movies...

How about-

• Timeline
    Twelve Monkeys
    Next
    Deja Vu
    Kate and Leopold
    Time Bandits
(Wonders if someone could possibly make The Outlander into a movie without it being completely ridiculous) :roll:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Primer. Quite possibly the greatest time travel movie ever made.

The Jacket - This was a pretty good movie, but I watched it right after The Machinist (not about time travel, but a very similar feel) and don't remember too much about it.
12 Monkeys - one of my favorites.
Memento - not sure it counts, but I'll put it forward anyway.
Hot Tub Time Machine - OK, really only on the list because it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Midnight in Paris - As a fan of the literary period, I should've loved it, but since it was a Woody Allen movie starring Owen Wilson, I only managed not to hate it.
Source Code - Not bad, but could've been better.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I remember Timerider being fun back in the 80s however I tried to watch it recently and couldn't get past the opening 30 minutes of First Person perspective dirt bike riding. Ugh.

The Final Countdown was a film I wanted to like a lot however it was fairly unsatisfying in that the Nimitz was pulled back into the present just before they were planning on defending Pearl Harbor from the Japanese navy. :-(

However Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was in a word...excellent. :-)

If Timecop had starred Bruce Willis I would have enjoyed it more.

Of course there is Star Trek IV and Star Trek: First Contact respectively.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Primer FTW.

Time after Time too. Really cool story.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

There was a movie I saw once that was pretty interesting.
I forget the name though.
Two men, each have access to the same time machine.
One man sees a woman murdered and goes back to stop it.
The other man is the murderer i think.
There ends up being several versions of both men.
I remember the time machine is like a giant vat of liquid.
The technician is shocked when one guy just appears. he went back in time an hour i think.
The whole movie takes place at this college or a large estate.

Ring any bells?
For some reason it's stuck in my head over the years.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:There was a movie I saw once that was pretty interesting.
I forget the name though.
Two men, each have access to the same time machine.
One man sees a woman murdered and goes back to stop it.
The other man is the murderer i think.
There ends up being several versions of both men.
I remember the time machine is like a giant vat of liquid.
The technician is shocked when one guy just appears. he went back in time an hour i think.
The whole movie takes place at this college or a large estate.

Ring any bells?
For some reason it's stuck in my head over the years.
I've seen it. For the life of me I can't remember what it is.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Cail wrote:Time after Time too. Really cool story.
That was one my favs back in the day. I had a big crush on Mary Steenburgen.
ItisWritten
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

[Syl] wrote:Primer. Quite possibly the greatest time travel movie ever made.
Yeah, that was great. Now I want to watch it again.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

[Syl] wrote:Primer. Quite possibly the greatest time travel movie ever made.
I concur--a really great movie that everyone should see.

Although not a great movie, Paycheck also uses time travel--well, looking forward in time, but that is close enough--as a gimmick.

There was a Denzel Washington movie a couple of years ago; he is a detective in New Orleans and they have a device they can use to look backwards in time...except the device is actually a window into the past through which things may travel.

Most time travel movies follow either the "infinite parallel timelines" (Back to the Future) or "only one immutable timeline" hypotheses.

Time travel can be really weird, possibly even scary. *poof* Your future self shows up and shoots you--but you don't that the shooter is your future self. This puts you in the hospital and onto the path of trying to figure out who shot you and it just so happens that your hospital roommate is a theoretical physicist who was working with quantum tunneling (or some other pseudo-scientific device). Ultimately, after you figure out how to travel in time you realize that you must go back in time and shoot yourself.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Primer!
fall far and well Pilots!
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Primer surprised me when I saw it - it was much better than I thought it would be :)
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote: Time travel can be really weird, possibly even scary. *poof* Your future self shows up and shoots you--but you don't that the shooter is your future self.
They're making this movie. The preview was in the theatres last night.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Rigel wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote: Time travel can be really weird, possibly even scary. *poof* Your future self shows up and shoots you--but you don't that the shooter is your future self.
They're making this movie. The preview was in the theatres last night.
I think I saw that trailer. Was it called "Triangle?"

Anyway, I think most of my favourites have been mentioned, but I'll give an extra shoutout to Bill and Ted and Twelve Monkeys, cause they are both awesome. Bill and Ted have George Carlin!
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Hashi, that was Deja Vu and I liked it too. I'd also say 12 Monkeys, Final countdown and of course the classic Star Trek IV would be in my favourites as would Kate and Leopold which I enjoyed.

There was a TV show many years ago called Adam Adamant about a man from 100 years ago who was resurrected. It was the classic displaced man type of show and in that context you could probably look at Crocodile Dundee because the NT is a good few years behind the rest of the planet!
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I just have to see Primer now!

I recall either a short story or a short film in which a guy goes back in time to convince himself not to take a particular course of action. Then a 3rd self, from farther in the future, shows up saying, no, we have to do this or disaster happens. Then another and another and they end up having a huge argument, while the original guy, I think, sneaks off to decide for himself... anyone remember this?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Thanks for an excuse to post more on one of my favorite stories)

I mean "Guest from the Future", which you likely never even heard of, unless from my posts already. It's a cult film on the post-soviet territory and one of the not many that outlived the country they were made in.

That's quite a strange film that is childish in many ways, has outdated special effects, was made on a low budget and looks like it was also seriously cut. It gets reactions that vary a lot. Explaining what it is loved for is much harder. Of course, wonderful music and brilliant actors, and the lovely book it was based on, though that's not all. It's mostly the feel it has, a beautiful and humane future that looks a lot like an utopia, but does have a lot of flaws, dangers, insanity and absurdity to make it if not really believable like something that may really happen, then at least a sample of how it could, and one people may really at least try to orient on.

Also it's loved for the characters, though that's more of a personal opinion for everyone. The fact there are a lot of such personal opinions may tell something though)

And I enjoyed a lot some of the movies mentioned here, but many I haven't even heard of, so much to see yet, thanks for the options.

Got a few more I'd like to tell about, but perhaps better later, in a separate post, this one is quite long as it is already, and I'm afraid I want to say more even on this one :twisted:
A role-player, beware
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

There was a Doctor Who episode with 5 incarnations of the Doctor all turning up, I think it was (imaginatively) called the 5 doctors.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

No one's mentioning Groundhog's Day? :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Oh, had to) It somehow doesn't register in mind as a time travel story, perhaps because of the cycling or the distance. Loved it and recommend to anyone who haven't seen it.

Funny how I can't say the same about one of my favorite movies, the one I told about above, but got to be honest, well, more or less at least, it's strange and not likable in many features, and liking it is very much a matter of who watches it.

Got to watch Doctor Who sometime, but I don't tend to get into series easily. May I ask, is it much like Sherlock?
A role-player, beware

Return to “Flicks”