SRD announcement on Last Dark, and forum

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Orlion wrote:It's clear the manuscript(s) have all been lost before they could be uploaded! And Donaldson does not have the heart to start writing the novel all over again.

There have been reports there is one surviving manuscript in Australia, where it is being held hostage by some lady making outrageous demands for its safe deliverance. Each day her demands go unmet, she tears out a few words and sends them to dlb.
The upside is: SRD doesn't need a heart, just a hand...which is working fine.

Plus...Australia, being mythical, must somehow ensure the return of the manuscript no matter what or risk losing what little existence it has. It will out outrage the lady hostage-taker by any means necessary [including exploiting the deadly dangerous gaps between caesure/caesura/seizure] in order to return the manuscript alive and unadulera[dlb]ted.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

[remind me to highlight this thread when the 2013 Spotlight thread is started]
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

dlbpharmd wrote:You evil, evil wench! Here we are, suffering for TLD news, and all you give us is a Douglas Adams reference.

:twisted:

You love me!
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

And now to refrain from typing a handful of double meanings...
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Any word yet??? .... Sorry! Can't help myself! :twisted:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Seareach wrote:Any word yet??? .... Sorry! Can't help myself! :twisted:
Oh my God.

I re-name you Cruelheart Fanhater.

No other name suffices.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Oh my God.

No other name suffices.
bwah-ha-ha!
:thumbsup:
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Oh my God.

No other name suffices.
OOOH! I always wanted a giant name! :biggrin:
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I have just delivered the third draft of THE LAST DARK. Under the circumstances (the circumstances being that Putnams has already put the book on their schedule for October), I have no doubt that this will constitute D&A. For me, the next step will be copyediting; but of course my publishers have a variety of things that they need to get done.

Just to provide a frame of reference: this draft is 932 pages (not counting WHAT HAS GONE BEFORE and the Glossary). I've done some rather draconian cutting, all of which I believe was necessary. I deliberately wrote the first draft *long* because I wanted to be sure that I didn't leave anything out. But the result was an unusually high number of repetitions and digressions; and weeding them out--while creating more effective or at least more efficient alternatives--has been a very long and arduous challenge.

2/12/13
*Deep breath, exhale*
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

:letsparty:
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

GLORY! PROGRESS!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, there we are.

1026 pages down to 932, doesn't seem so "draconian" to me. And, knowing Donaldson's prolixity, it's probably indeed a good thing. But, shortest book of the series? Yeeks. How's this gonna end, with so few words to do it?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

That being the case, I instantly switch from impatience for it to get here, get read, to pre-weeping "omg, the beginning of the end is almost here. What will I do with the End of the End?"

[ok, melodrama...but only slightly melodrama]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Vraith wrote:That being the case, I instantly switch from impatience for it to get here, get read, to pre-weeping "omg, the beginning of the end is almost here. What will I do with the End of the End?"

I know the feeling.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Vraith wrote:That being the case, I instantly switch from impatience for it to get here, get read, to pre-weeping "omg, the beginning of the end is almost here. What will I do with the End of the End?"

I know the feeling.
I'm right there with you guys.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

wayfriend wrote:Well, there we are.

1026 pages down to 932, doesn't seem so "draconian" to me. And, knowing Donaldson's prolixity, it's probably indeed a good thing. But, shortest book of the series? Yeeks. How's this gonna end, with so few words to do it?
Whelp, this is what nine years have built up to. Though I would always be up for a longer Covenant book, the stage is set for the Final Act. *shudders* gives me goosebumps.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

aliantha wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:

I know the feeling.
Yep. And I have the added bonus of knowing that after waiting all these years, I will finish the damn thing in a day or so. :lol:

--A
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

aliantha wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote: I know the feeling.
Yep. And I have the added bonus of knowing that after waiting all these years, I will finish the damn thing in a day or so. :lol:

--A
I'm already planning on using a vacation day. ;)
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Yay, the end of the wait is in sight.

Any idea how longthe wait for the Audiobook will be after release of the Hardback?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

sindatur wrote:Yay, the end of the wait is in sight.

Any idea how longthe wait for the Audiobook will be after release of the Hardback?
Judging from the other books, I'd guess 6-12 months. I just hope they bring back Scott Brick for it!

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”