Who Watches the Watchers?

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Re: Who Watches the Watcher's?

Post by I'm Murrin »

ussusimiel wrote:In a way, the Watch is almost like a preserve. It is a largely troll-free open forum, which, I would guess, makes it an exception on the Internet.
A rarity, but you do come across them. For example the WoW Paladin tanking community I'm also a member of is pretty mature and troll-free. Probably why these are the only two forums I'm a long term active member of.

With regard to the "electric media", I'd be strongly inclined to put another dividing line between TV and radio, and the internet. The key difference being, TV and radio are one-directional.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I'm Murrin wrote:With regard to the "electric media", I'd be strongly inclined to put another dividing line between TV and radio, and the internet. The key difference being, TV and radio are one-directional.
I understand where you are coming from, Murrin, but I'm not sure that McLuhan sees it in those terms. He saw all 'electric media' as promoting social interaction, something the Internet does really well.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

ussusimiel, awesome! Thank you very much)

This feels close to what I feel and what I said in the thread about alts.
Effaeldm wrote:...I can't just choose, at least now I definitely don't see it, that's all me. I've seen having alts taken as saying lies, but I'll be lying exactly if I pick one and say "Oh fine, I'm OK, I never needed anything like that really".
Iolanthe wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:There aren't any "S"s in that.
Correct! Aren't these little rhymes wonderful? :D
Is it actually about what I think it may be... or does it mean I watch and listen to RHPS a bit too much for a person who wants to be able to see normal interpretations of things yet?) On the upside, I do see one more explanation at least.
StevieG wrote:...
PS. I guessed DPJ's identity almost instantly as we started posting around the same time, and can reveal that she/he is
Spoiler
someone on the watch
:biggrin:
Well done with that spoiler :biggrin:
aliantha wrote:u., that is an awesome post! In fact, it's *so* great that my aliantha persona is sorely tempted to propose marriage to your u. persona. :lol:
ussusimiel, are you going to make the next move?) Some people here may help with a friendly shove in the back :D
A role-player, beware
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

ussusimiel wrote: In a way, the Watch is almost like a preserve. It is a largely troll-free open forum, which, I would guess, makes it an exception on the Internet.
so we should elect gamekeepers who cull the herd? i would be good at that.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Effaeldm wrote:
aliantha wrote:u., that is an awesome post! In fact, it's *so* great that my aliantha persona is sorely tempted to propose marriage to your u. persona. :lol:
ussusimiel, are you going to make the next move?) Some people here may help with a friendly shove in the back :D
:oops:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Isn't u. Irish?
Since when do they need to be
Encouraged to woo?

A fine catch, ali
Having met the lass myself
Take her at her word...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

ussusimiel wrote:
Effaeldm wrote:

u.
Sorry, u. Just got a little...overwhelmed. I'll be fine in a minute...

;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:
Effaeldm wrote: ussusimiel, are you going to make the next move?) Some people here may help with a friendly shove in the back :D

u.

;)
aww, c'mon, y'all!
if lorin can be cambo's "Watch wife," why can't ali be u.'s?
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Menolly wrote:
aliantha wrote:
ussusimiel wrote: :oops:

u.

;)
aww, c'mon, y'all!
if lorin can be cambo's "Watch wife," why can't ali be u.'s?
my husband has been ignoring me recently. I think he's found someone else. :?
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Husbands sometimes do
But lorin has been quite clear
She will never share
babybottomfeeder

Re: Who Watches the Watchers?

Post by babybottomfeeder »

peter wrote:I'm going to sound really naive here - but do people use more than one identity here on the Watch. I've been a member for a few years now and always taken it on good faith that each time I read a post by a particular poster whose 'name' I recognise or enter into a dialogue with them, that I am communicating with an individual who has 'reality' beyond the screen that sepparates us. But sometimes I wonder. Take 'Babybottomfeeder' for example. He always seemed to want to mess with people for some reason - albeit sometimes in a *very* clever way; but i began to ask myself is this guy for real or is it just another Watcher f****** with us. Do people do that? How can I know the people I am corresponding with are for real - come to that how can you know *I* am too! If this stuff goes on what forn does it take. How should I recognise it. I like corresponding with real people, not facsimile's thereoff.

Here's another clue that I probably am for real :lol: - I realise now (on a different topic altogether) that it is possible to 'spoiler' your own posts if you think they contain....er....well, spoilers. For the last five years every time those black lines appeared I thought that somewhere a 'mod' had decided "Oy! This gives away the plot of a book that may not have been read by other users. I'm spoilering it out!" I never realised a poster could do this themselves. How do you do it (he said, instantly seeing the 'spoiler' button at the right hand end of the buttons, none of which he has shit idea of what they do exept the italic button). Use the spoiler button I guess :oops:
This is a bite of a different pony ain't it?

Alt discussions are a hydra in this day and age.

I never set out to attack anyone on the watch except for loremaster. The Real Lord Foul texted me on my cellphone about loremasters attack against The Real Lord Foul. He asked me to attack him in turn but to be kind, which I was. I still stand behind thinking that loremaster was being way overly pc, which was stridently offensive and anti-flaco. I apologized in a private message to loremaster and never again were my actions so harsh.

I don't get along with people on here and do not like the cut of some peoples gib but guess what? I still love everyone because I'm a Christian. I thank god everyday that I have the ability to love.

I wonder how many fellow forum dwellers are Christians? Which denominations do you belong to and how can we join together in a positive manner? I think we should start a Christian's on Heimdall's Rainbow Bridge topic. We can discuss how we perceive the Myth's of man through the len's of Christianity while simultaneously strengthening our resolve as believers of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Peter, I am not an alt, I am tired of hearing about alts. I believe we need to strive for a stronger constitution when it comes to the internet. It is not the real world. You can't unmask electronics and reveal truths. Imagine all the starving people around the world who will never have the opportunity to use a computer and revel in your good fortune to even pose the question that topic posters are harassing fellow well wishers.

A Race in Day

Dear friends that have received this news letter.
Take the time to look over your copies,
I secured a small watermark on the corner of one of
the letters.

Whoever has the letter, gets a gift certificate
to Carpino's Calabrian Seafood.

peter, take the time to read all of my posts and you will see that I am not attacking anyone. I am not an alt and I don't have time for making trouble. I love the watch and want to see it thrive.

Anything less would be a stave stone.

Rally Against Mediocrity
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i am born Catholic.
raised Congrationalist.
reclaimed my original faith.
julie converted from Baptist.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Lorin wrote:my husband has been ignoring me recently. I think he's found someone else.
:O :( :( :( My deepest apologies. My spousal failings are shamefully aired for all to see. By way of humblest apology:

Roses:
Chocolates:

And a poem:

When from your Watchy husband
You can hear not a peep
A nudge from you will waken him
And where you look, he'll leap!
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ok, Ussusimiel solved the internet. :lol: Time to go home.

Excellent post.

I hope that set your mind at rest somewhat Peter. If it ever really troubles you, you can always apply to your local moderator, who can either enlighten you, or at least assure you that there is no cause for concern, as appropriate.

--A

Post by Avatar »

So, the post in Gen Disc brought me back to this, and I reread the post. It's still great, but I did think of one flaw, highlighted for me because of what is happening in the wider world of the internet. Or behind the scenes anyway...
ussusimiel wrote: In a way, the Watch is almost like a preserve. It is a largely troll-free open forum, which, I would guess, makes it an exception on the Internet.
We're not really that open. In fact, we're pretty closed in a certain sense. Only people who meet a couple of very specific criteria ever find us, with very rare exceptions in which people who meet them find other people who meet them elsewhere and bring them along.

We like it fine this way, because it's very good selection process and it has brought us many many fine members over the years. Just turning up here means you are almost certainly already predisposed toward qualities we prize.

Every Tom Dick and Harry doesn't just wander in off the metaphorical streets. Only people who already tend to think in certain ways.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I guess the 'troll' thing is that sometimes in life it's just fun to **** with people for the sake of it. But if you're going to start taking pleasure in hurting people then you're on a badly slippery slope where the end is in a whole lot of shit. The Watch for me has become very important - I judge myself by the responses I get and [yes] I moderate my own [often akilter] oppinions by virtue of the sense I see in other ones.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

I might be like one giant Alt account.. I've changed my name like 6 times or something stupid.. BUT I'VE STILL GOT THE SAME HEART!! I think..?
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."

Post by Avatar »

Oh, all those other things said about the Watch were true. We're just not that open to the wider web, and nor does our brilliance extend much beyond it. ;)

--A
Last edited by Avatar on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Avatar wrote:Oh, all those other things said about the Watch were true. We're just not that open to the wider web, and nor does our brilliance extend much beyond it. ;)

--A
Mores the pity! :lol:

[edit: Do you think we should try to form one of those secret, new world order, illuminaty thingys and try to take over the running of the World from the Watch? It would give 'the Tank' something to get it's teeth into ;) ]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

I'm up for it as long as somebody else does most of the work. ;)

--A

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”