Star Wars: I miss Star Wars

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

Star Wars: I miss Star Wars

Post by aTOMiC »

Okay I know how that sounds. "I miss Star Wars". Isn't Star Wars all around us? Aren't the films replayed continuously on various cable channels? What about the Clone Wars tv show on Cartoon Network?

In many ways Star Wars has been a constant in our lives for decades but that's not what I'm getting at here.

Love them or hate them while the prequel trilogy was being created there was a subtle level of excitement and anticipation that was floating around in the air like medicholorians. Sure I was crazy disappointed with The Phantom Menace even though I went back to see it 3 times. However at the time I remember thinking "That kind of sucked but we'll get 'em next time."
Well the Clone Wars was a little better...kind of, so I can't say I was crushed when I finally saw it. Revenge of the Sith was even better though by the time the film came out I knew that the prequels had managed to make me appreciate Return of the Jedi far more than I ever thought possible and that the original trilogy was remarkably more entertaining than the new films.

Okay so what the hell is my problem? My problem is that I miss the anticipation of a new Star Wars film. I liked looking forward to them whether I actually liked them or not. I like the feeling of subtle excitement knowing that sometime, in a year or so, there would be a new film.

All of that is gone. Unless someone cracks George Lucas over the head and steals the rights to the franchise we're not going to see a new Star Wars film...period.

At least Gene Roddenberry didn't hoard Star Trek to himself, never allowing anyone to meddle in his grand vision.
I GET to be excited about a new Star Trek film and unlike the Star Wars prequels I'm pretty confident Star Trek Into Darkness will be at the very least pretty good and probably awesome.

All I'm saying is...I miss Star Wars and it might be a cold day in hell before I see another one.
Last edited by aTOMiC on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, there is the whole extended universe...and what I've heard about Star Wars 1313 sounds pretty good...

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

proving once again that Star Trek is much superior to Star Wars.

i read two Star Wars books that proved way more entertaining than the main films.

one was a collection of stories about the bounty hunters that Darth Vader hired.

the other was a collection of stories about the beings at the Mos Eisley cantina.

I got tired of Lucas creating great bad guys (Boba Fett, Darth Maul) then killing them off.

eewoks? the step n' fetchit character?

Lucas needs to allow someone else control of the empire.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Yep video games and books are super cool but that's something I CAN have. People want what they CAN'T have and what I can't have is a new Star Wars feature film.

:-(

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Someone needs to bankroll a Splinter of the Mind's Eye movie.

I'd totally watch that.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Cail, I loved that book. It had a bit of a creepy, atmospheric feel to it that was nice departure from bold kiddie color of the films. The Vader character was more intimidating and mysterious than he's ever been.

Would totally love to see that film.

Post by Avatar »

Now I have to read it again.

For me, it's really the extended universe novels that keep the story alive. I like it that the story carries on past the films, that they have futures and pasts. Sure, some of them aren't great, but some of them do it well.

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Eh, at least we have the Hobbit movies to anticipate.

I've never read a single SW book. Can someone come up with a list of the best ones?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

The very best are the very first. heh. Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire series.
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

They introduced some characters that have been around since. Particularly Mara Jade. And Grand Admiral Thrawn (the series is also called the Thrawn Trilogy) is one of the greatest of all characters.

But I guess the clone parts can't be considered canon, because of the prequels. Ah well, it's still great stuff.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

Agree with Fist...those are great.

And technically, since they had to be "authorised" they should have been canon. (They would also probably have made great sequels. :lol: )

There's also that one with Vader and the bounty hunters that fits between Empire and Jedi...can never remember it's name...

Will take a look and see which others I particularly enjoyed...The Jedi Academy trilogy was pretty good too.

--A
Tefazipipo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Tefazipipo »

I feel this is appropriate here.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlbPXZEpREg
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Thanks for the info, guys. I heard about the Zahn books in college and forgot about them. I'll have to check them out.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”