Cavewights

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Cavewights

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

So, how tall did Roger's toadies stand compared to the Swordmainnir (mine range from around 9 to 12,5ft)?

Toying with some ideas...
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

I think the cavewights are slightly bigger and much sturdier. The giants advantage is probably their passion and finesse.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Hmm... I looked this up once before.

Oh look, a " How tall is a Cavewight?" thread. There it is. :)

There are some interesting images of cavewights in The Laborium (a section of the Album).

I think that 'head like a battering ram' is probably the biggest artistic challenge to imagining cavewights. If you can unlock that one, I think the result would be fantastic. I have seen some representations that I thought were far too literal. To Donaldson, fang-marks can burn like glee. The trick, I feel, is to find something that might inspire such a description, after allowing for poetic license, rather than something that follows the description, if you follow my meaning.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

wayfriend wrote:Hmm... I looked this up once before.

Oh look, a " How tall is a Cavewight?" thread. There it is. :)

There are some interesting images of cavewights in The Laborium (a section of the Album).

I think that 'head like a battering ram' is probably the biggest artistic challenge to imagining cavewights. If you can unlock that one, I think the result would be fantastic. I have seen some representations that I thought were far too literal. To Donaldson, fang-marks can burn like glee. The trick, I feel, is to find something that might inspire such a description, after allowing for poetic license, rather than something that follows the description, if you follow my meaning.
Haahaa. I still really love Barlowe's depiction of Drool, which gives him an almost insectlike or golem (rock) appearance. In that one, Drool pretty much has a log for a head. It's amazing though. But maybe in a more cinematic or grandiose aspect, or in a superimposing way (i.e., I saw it before I read the books).

To me, cavewights might be thought of as orclike or goblinlike, given a variety of reasons. In that sense, they might be seen as a bit simian in nature - we often seem inclined to look towards some apes as mirroring some of "the worst in us." Thinking of the wights as creatures, those are what come to mind.

I don't remember much about what cavewight head-->neck-->shoulders-->torso work like, but it might be interesting if the upper half of their body followed less of such an animal's design though. Like, what if their torso (when they were hunched) naturally tilted forward, and they had a head similar to what herd animals that actually do ram things have?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Holsety wrote: Haahaa. I still really love Barlowe's depiction of Drool, which gives him an almost insectlike or golem (rock) appearance. In that one, Drool pretty much has a log for a head.
Yeah. That's the one I was thinking of. Last picture on the last page of the Laborium. Not the way I would go.

Peter Minister, who posted some earlier drafts in the Laborium, has an interesting cavewight. You can find it in google images, on the ZBrushCentral web site. www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?at ... tid=311059.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Haha, my mental image of Drool is the lovechild of movie-Gollum and Peter's cavey (I like that one a lot). The design needs quite a bit of polishing, however.

Thanks, I'll put the height info behind my ear for further use when the suitable inspiration strikes.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”