The NRA Suppressing research into Gun Violence

Archive From The 'Tank
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Avatar wrote:No, what I mean is that even if people are allowed to carry guns, there will still be crime.

--A
And even if you take all guns away, there will still be violent crime.

People kill people, they use whatever tools are available to do so
Knife-wielding assailants attacked people at a train station in southwestern China on Saturday in what authorities called a terrorist attack and police fatally shot five of the assailants, leaving 28 people dead and 113 injured, state media said.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Even our own FBI statistics support that conclusion. For 2012 there were 3,910 murders committed by weapons other than guns. Sure, guns make committing murder easier but how many of those gun deaths would have fallen into some other category had the gun not been available?
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

While I agree, I still must say not all of them. Maybe not even most of them. But some, definitely.

A gun is a somewhat impersonal murder weapon. It allows you to remove yourself from the act in a way not possible with, say, a knife.

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Even our own FBI statistics support that conclusion. For 2012 there were 3,910 murders committed by weapons other than guns. Sure, guns make committing murder easier but how many of those gun deaths would have fallen into some other category had the gun not been available?
I'd say the evidence suggests that many of those murders would not have been committed had not the gun been available.

The evidence is pretty clear that carrying a gun increases aggression and paranoia/anxiety. I don't know if anyone has studied the effects of carrying a knife or baton or other weapon...I'd like to see/know about that.

We know that availability of guns, particularly handguns, results in a serious increase in suicide, controlling for other factors. The best study I ever saw had an interesting bit of info: a very large increase in risk for 16-25 [especially males]...roughly zero increased risk for the middle years [up to age 50]...then a sharp increase again.
[[it is also important to note that simple things like keeping it unloaded and locked mitigates a significant amount of the increased risk].

ON the knife-wielding attack in China: I've seen exactly two pictures taken while it was ongoing...from those it looks to me like people have a really strange definition of "knife"...even freaking Crocodile Dundee would be impressed by the "knives" in those photos. Normal people call the "swords."

And, to be clear, I'm still not in favor of outlawing gun ownership [or sword/knife ownership, either].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Vraith wrote: ON the knife-wielding attack in China: I've seen exactly two pictures taken while it was ongoing...from those it looks to me like people have a really strange definition of "knife"...even freaking Crocodile Dundee would be impressed by the "knives" in those photos. Normal people call the "swords."

And, to be clear, I'm still not in favor of outlawing gun ownership [or sword/knife ownership, either].[/color]
The sword lobby, with its mountain of money and handful of politicians who have been bought-and-paid-for, is burying the news story. Any item which disparages swords or knives is removed from the mainstream media in about two days.
Avatar wrote:A gun is a somewhat impersonal murder weapon. It allows you to remove yourself from the act in a way not possible with, say, a knife.
I don't know....if you shoot someone with a handgun you are probably going to be close enough to look them in the eye either before you shoot them or shortly thereafter. That would make things pretty personal.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Vraith wrote:it is also important to note that simple things like keeping it unloaded and locked mitigates a significant amount of the increased risk
Because an unloaded and locked-up gun is worthless.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Post by Avatar »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Avatar wrote:A gun is a somewhat impersonal murder weapon. It allows you to remove yourself from the act in a way not possible with, say, a knife.
I don't know....if you shoot someone with a handgun you are probably going to be close enough to look them in the eye either before you shoot them or shortly thereafter. That would make things pretty personal.
Not as personal as feeling their blood rush over your hand and their breath in your face when you drive a blade into their abdomen.

Guns make it a lot easier. It has less risk to you and less involvement. It requires less commitment.

And that's the whole point of them. "Be not afraid of any man, no matter what your size..."

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Avatar wrote:Not as personal as feeling their blood rush over your hand and their breath in your face when you drive a blade into their abdomen.
You have a point there. I am going to presume that you are speaking in terms of general knowledge, not something specific which you have experienced, of course.

Post by Avatar »

Haha, it's rough in Africa, but thankfully it hasn't been that rough for me yet. ;)

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

*bump*

Okay, by now you have all heard of the latest mass shooting in Southern California, this Elliot Roger who had been in therapy since the age of 8--there is a clear indicator of problems down the road--and who wrote a very lengthy manifesto (people love using that word whenever a lone nut leaves behind a diary or document typed out on a computer) where he speaks about envying people with wealth, that he "deserved" wealth after the life of "pain and suffering" he had had to endure, and that he blamed women for not seeing how great he was and that it must be all their fault he was still a virgin at the ripe old age of 22. These are all classic examples of deeply disturbed narcissism with sociopathic tendencies--he fantasized about torturing people, especially good-looking people who must have had a lot of sex while he had none.

Now the father of one of the victims is coming out and blaming the NRA for making this like this "normal". Okay, problem number 1: the NRA does not try to make things like this normal. It is never normal for a deranged loon to buy guns in a legal manner then use them in highly illegal ways. Problem number 2: what makes Mr. Martinez's loss any more tragic than anyone else's loss, hm? Oh, that's right--nothing.

Once again, this mass shooting is not about guns. I reiterate: this event was NOT about the guns, at least not centrally. It is about needing to update the legal gun purchase procedure to check for mental illness--certain diagnoses from a licensed psychiatrist should prevent someone from purchasing guns legally. A convicted felon cannot so why can someone who suffers from dissociative disorder, or paranoid schizophrenia, or who has sociopathic tendencies? Notice, though, that the first killings were done with a knife--he stabbed his two roommates to death--and this was *after* posting videos online where he talked openly about what he was going to do. No one noticed? No one thought he was serious?

Another thing about this story....this "#YesAllWomen" nonsense. Hashtag activism is a pointless waste of energy--"oh, look--#YesAllWomen. There--I did something important!" No, you didn't--all you did was follow a crowd and you look like a tool. Mr. Roger didn't kill only women--he killed guys, too, and he killed them with a knife--he made it much more personal against them.

Anyway....this is not an opportunity to go after guns--guns were not exactly the problem. His mental illnesses were the problem--I could support screening for those when buying a gun. The last two or three high-profile mass shootings were all carried out by people who had a history of mental illness.

Finally, as one commenter on an article wrote: "mass shooting in SoCal with 6 people dead makes national news? That's just a busy weekend in Chicago."
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

This was emphatically not a "mass shooting", it was a killing spree. Three stabbed to death. Several people shot. Several more hit by his car.

And it sure as hell wasn't anti-women misogyny.

This was the spoiled, narcissistic product of our instant-gratification, no-fault society.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Post by Avatar »

I agree with all that, except maybe the part about misogyny. Not that I think this particular incident was motivated by it, but I'm not sure that elements of it aren't at play, both here and in general.

--A
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Cail wrote:This was emphatically not a "mass shooting", it was a killing spree. Three stabbed to death. Several people shot. Several more hit by his car.

And it sure as hell wasn't anti-women misogyny.

This was the spoiled, narcissistic product of our instant-gratification, no-fault society.
I can't completely dismiss the Misogyny. The reason he killed the roommates, was so he'd have the place to himself, so he bring women back to torture, rape and kill.

Obviously, misogyny alone doesn't make someone go on a killing spree, but, if everything had gone according to plan, there would be alot more women harmed or killed. And the Good Looking Guys he was jealous of, was because they were happy and "successful with bedding women"

The strange thing is, that he was a fairly good looking guy, and doesn't appear that he ever made passes at women, so, it really doesn't make sense that he felt rejected by them, because he never offered himself. It was like he expected them to just be throwing themselves at his feet, without him showing any interest in them. Someone trying to deflect from the "Gun Control" arguments made a comment something like "Oh, it must've been latent homosexuality", and I wonder if maybe there isn't some truth to that, since he was so jealous about his lack of success with them, and had the looks, but, never did anything about trying to attract women, approach them, make passes etc.

As far as "Didn't anyone notice the videos", the most damning video stuff, was only posted minutes before his Spree began, so, there was no time to notice it and stop him.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

sindatur wrote: The strange thing is, that he was a fairly good looking guy, and doesn't appear that he ever made passes at women, so, it really doesn't make sense that he felt rejected by them, because he never offered himself. It was like he expected them to just be throwing themselves at his feet, without him showing any interest in them.
This goes along with several of the things he was writing down and posting in his videos--he felt that he was "owed" things like money or sex, presumably because of his wildly inflated sense of self-worth.

How tough can your life be when you have $700 each week to spend on lottery tickets? Of course, he was irrational and mentally unbalanced so his views are not going to make sense to those of us who are not insane.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Given that he didn't really make passes due to extreme shyness/antisocial behavrior/mental illness, it's likely that he hated himself for being unsuccessful with women, and simply took it out on them--transferring the blame to the victims so that he didn't have to face the blame himself. I'm not sure that's exactly misogyny, though a lot of misogynists probably also feel bitter about lack of success with women. However, this guy was not merely a sexist asshole, but sick. While it's true that misogynists can be violent, and the violence in this case was misogynistic to the extent that he targeted women, there's an extra ingredient here that makes this case inapplicable to men in general, or to women's rights.

It's not the case that feeling frustrated about one's success with women its itself misogynistic or that all men feel like they're "owed sex." In some sense, we all recognize that sex is our birthright in being born with the proper equipment and drives to use them. It is our biological "destiny," so to speak. But that's not because we view the opposite sex as our property, but becasue we view a healthy sex life as a necessary component to life, just as (for instance) a productive role in society.

Being denied those things--either by yourself or by others--can drive people to extreme acts, especially if they're already mentally ill (which can produce the very effects which he viewed as the cause: lack of succes w/women). To conflate all these factors and reduce them down to one's political agenda is just par for the course in how we treat tragedies and atrocities in this society.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

An interesting opinion below. Certainly other women have been hurt because of feelings similar to Rodger's, so it's not something we can claim is only an isolated case involving an insane man.
(CNN) -- A powerful reaction to women-hater Elliot Rodger's killing rampage Friday night has been the Twitter hashtag #YesAllWomen, where women point out how misogyny and sexism damage them and restrict their lives. It emerged in response to the common, misguided argument that "not all men" are like that.

Of course not all men are like Elliot Rodger. But he is the product of a culture that condones and in many cases endorses the belief that if you are a "nice guy" -- or a "supreme gentleman" as Rodger described himself -- you are somehow entitled to sex with women.

[...] Rodger and others like him believe that sex is a reward to be earned, not a consensual activity between adults who respect each other, and that women are prizes to be won, not actual people with the agency to make decisions about their own bodies.

Nowhere is this mindset more obvious than in the reactions of some men who actually sympathize with Rodger. Many of these men are self-described Pick-Up Artists, or PUAs, who employ a series of strict rules in order to manipulate women into having sex with them, referring to those women as their "targets."

Rodger allegedly participated in forums on the site PUAHate, which criticizes Pick-Up Artists not because of their obviously misogynist tactics, but because those tactics didn't work for him and other PUAHate members. The site shut down Saturday morning with the message: "PUAHate is about to get a massive amount of press," according to the watchdog Southern Poverty Law Center.

After the killings, the extent of misogyny in this community was revealed in the creation of a Facebook page called "Elliot Rodger Is an American Hero," with the advice for everyone to "share your thoughts and pay your respects to Elliot Rodger here. Also, view this final message from our beloved hero," which links to his videotaped rant, with commenters expressing solidarity with his desire for revenge against women. The page has since been taken down.

The creator of the popular PUA site "Return of Kings" -- where "women and homosexuals are prohibited from commenting" -- claimed, "More people will die unless you give men sexual options." "Manosphere" sites like Return of Kings admire "alpha males," disparage "beta males," and promote hypermasculinity.

But again, most men are not members of these hate communities and not all men hold similar beliefs. That's not the point. These views are just extreme versions of very common, socially acceptable ideas about women and sex. Rodger was undoubtedly mentally unstable, but some of the sexist ideas in his manifesto are, unfortunately, not the invention of a madman. They're the norm.

[...] We teach our children from a young age that a girl's value as a human being is inextricably linked to her sexual behavior. Her virginity is something to be "given up" or even "lost." Sex with her is a prize to be won -- and she herself is equated with that "prize."

In stark contrast, boys are taught that their virginity is something to be ashamed of. Their masculinity depends on sexual prowess and physical dominance. It is from this understanding that the PUA movement arises, populated by boys and men who feel worthless because they don't have sex. Their anger is directed at the women -- the "prizes" -- who refuse to "give" them what they feel they deserve. [link]
Food for thought.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Before this event I hadn't even heard of this particular subculture of pick-up artists. This cannot be dissimilar to the culture of defining masculinity by how many children you can father with a variety of women, except in that culture the guys *are* having sex.

Still...a good opportunity to address the general topic, I think. Remember that movie The 40 Year Old Virgin? A very funny movie but the premise was that Steve Carrell's character was somehow...I don't know....out of place or weird because he hadn't had sex and he was now about 40 years old. Kidding from his friends aside, his character was intelligent, engaging, friendly, compassionate, a hard worker, and just an all-around good guy. He wasn't "weird" in a negative sense and would, in fact, be someone worth knowing in real life. Why, then, do people like these PUAs think that "not having sex" equates to "loser"? My boss--who is just about my age, I think we are within 1 year of each other--didn't have sex until he got married last year. I think he spends a little too much time following the latest techy gadgets and plays video games while at work but other than that he's a nice guy. *shrug*

I suspect these PUA guys want a prostitute but they don't want to have to pay the services.

This Rodger guy--I refuse to refer to him as "Mr. Rodger" because "Mr." implies "sir" or "gentleman" and he was neither of those--could have spent that $700 on prostitutes rather than lottery tickets. Maybe he wouldn't have done what he did....but that doesn't address his attitude that he felt that he was "owed" sex. No amount of money can fix that.

I had already planned on advising our son that if he simply had to scratch that itch when he is a teenager that he should take care of business in the privacy of his room rather than risking getting some girl pregnant or because he felt that he had to put a notch on his belt. Women aren't objects, son of mine, and sex is something to share, not take.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Any viewpoint can be taken to the extreme. Feminism can sometimes be more anti-man than pro-women. And even the most extreme views have sympathizers. For instance, the Boston bombers had female fans who thought they were dreamy.
WF's article wrote:Rodger and others like him believe that sex is a reward to be earned, not a consensual activity between adults who respect each other...
I'm not seeing how these two are incompatible. Respect has to be earned. So if you get sex by getting women to consent, and you only get consent by getting women to respect you, and you only get respect by earning it, then you get sex by earning the kind of respect that entices women to consent … so in the end, you earn sex. The author’s complaint is nonsensical.
These views are just extreme versions of very common, socially acceptable ideas about women and sex. Rodger was undoubtedly mentally unstable, but some of the sexist ideas in his manifesto are, unfortunately, not the invention of a madman. They're the norm.
It is not proven in the article that sexist ideas are the norm. The extreme views are definitely sexist, but the "normal" ideas addressed aren't sexist.

The fact that there are different standards for men and women only reflects biological realities, not a sexist agenda. Virginity probably came to be prized in women because sex (for them) leads to pregancy, which has an effect on her life and her body in ways that are incomparable to men. Parents didn’t want their daughters to bear the burden of children alone, have their lives ruined, etc.; and potential husbands wanted to know that their children were their own. Also, because sperm is much more “disposable” than eggs/wombs, women have more value in terms of reproduction than men. They’re not as expendable. Placing a higher value on women is sexist?

Not only does it not seem sexist, but I don’t see how placing higher value on women not having sex somehow leads to or is even compatible with the idea that men “normally” think they’re owed sex. You have two opposites being “prized” here: virginity (not giving it up) and sexual “reward” (giving it up). It’s as if no matter which position guys take relative to women having sex (should/shouldn’t), they’re damned either way.

And that’s evidence that some want to blame men more than they want to make sense.

I first heard about “pick up artists” as a social phenomenon (and not merely a character in stories) via the Mystery Method, the book and the reality show it spawned. I didn’t read the book, but I watched the show. They took geeky, awkward guys and showed them how to improve themselves first, giving them reasons to be self-confident and to like themselves, and then showed them techniques for breaking the ice and making conversation, skills which some men don’t have and find terrifying. So far, this is a positive thing. And yes, they progressed from conversation to making out, but so what? That’s part of human life. Somehow, guys and girls inevitibly get together. They hook up. I think a woman respects a man who can approach her, talk to her, make her laugh, and then convince her to take it a step farther. And I believe they don’t respect men who can’t do these things out of fear. It’s not about objectifying women, but how to make it easier to engage in this necessary social function without which reproduction would not happen. To describe this in nefarious terms ignores the fact that women and men must hook up somehow. There is a game component to it, with competition between other males (and other women). And you can win or lose.

Now, I don’t like the word “target” to describe women, nor some of the attitudes of the guys described in WF’s article, but it’s certainly not the norm. What’s normal is for guys to pursue women and sex, and for women to either consent or reject. That's hardly sexist.

If women were expected to be the ones who seduced and chased guys, all this would be viewed differently (maybe guys should complain about the double standard ... but being whiny would risk not being sexy to women). What would change? Well, women's motives wouldn’t be questioned like guys' motive, for instance. Feminists don't think it's wrong for a woman to pursue a guy; it's empowering role reversal. The fact is that guys bear most of the burden for being able to make a love connection happen, to initiate it. That’s not to say women shouldn’t be the initiators, but that it’s considered an essential skill for guy, not optional. And that’s not just a male perspective, but also the perspective of women who naturally want to be wooed and courted. They don’t get all dressed up for nothing. They don’t compete against each other for nothing. They’re competing for male attention and approval. (And that can become unhealthy, too. Like I said, anything can be taken to an extreme.)

But it is without a doubt healthy for guys to learn the basic social skills of how to talk to women, and convince them to have sex with them. Our race literally depends upon it. And sometimes, it does feel like a “prize” or “reward.” So what? Men valuing women highly--and valuing women's opinions of them--is the opposite of misogyny.

But people have to turn this into male-bashing somehow. There must always be a villain (beyond the actual villain).
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Puritanical article is puritanical, and as most things CNN is looking for someone or something to blame. Guess the missing airliner thing didn't pan out for them.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra's post got me to thinking. Those of us who are married may not necessarily have to chase our wife down in order to have sex with them but we certainly don't feel like she "owes" it to us, either. There is still some play and/or chasing involved but how did we married men get into that position in the first place? Obviously, we chased and courted our future wives by showing them what a good catch we are by any number of means--good listener, treated her with respect, made good money, made her laugh, or whatever.

These PUA guys have taken something which the rest of us figure out--make that "stumble and flail about in the dark, eventually figuring it out"--and turned it into something warped. Yes, I "earned" the right to put a ring on Notabarbiegirl's finger and call her "Mrs. Lebwohl" but I didn't do it by treating her like a notch on my belt. Okay, so it took 20 years but at least it finally happened.

That reminds me, I simply must convince her to show up here.

Return to “Coercri”